Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I'm taking back my Egnater Tourmaster tomorrow to the Guitar Center with a little more cash to spend. The band I play in plays a lot of alt rock (ala Chili Peppers, Incubus, Bloc Party) so I don't need excessive amounts of gain but still some (Perhaps like a JCM800). We also play live shows so I'm gonna need a bit of power. I can spend up to around $2000 possibly going over a little bit. Any suggestions?
Last edited by schecter ftw at Apr 20, 2011,
Honestly, if you're asking a forum what kind of 2000 dollar amp to get, would you even know what the hell to do with it once you got it?

But hell, if mommy and daddy are funding it, buy the most expensive amp in the store, who gives a shit what it sounds like!
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
Honestly, if you're asking a forum what kind of 2000 dollar amp to get, would you even know what the hell to do with it once you got it?

But hell, if mommy and daddy are funding it, buy the most expensive amp in the store, who gives a shit what it sounds like!

Was that at all necessary?

I'd recommend an Vox AC30, that's what I'd go for, especially for RHCP stuff.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
You have a lot of money to play with here!
I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable on the bands you're after (I know RHCP well, I've heard a bit of Incubus but I'm completely lost on block party!) but it seems like having a good clean tone would be important.

Obviously with best clean tones it's all preference, but I think something voiced a bit like a Fender would be quite good, but as I say there's a lot of money there! Hell you could probably manage to nab a Two Rock amp for that cash, which shows you have a lot of options!

Ideally you should try as many amps as you can to get a feel for what you want.
Quote by HavokStrife

Why do people like you even post? Was it just a pathetic attemp of being witty? Or are you just jealous?
If you have that much to spend, your decision is going to be based on what YOU think is best. We (meaning people who know more about high-end amps than I do) can probably point you in a general direction, but at that price range, there are way too many similar options for us to give you a definite answer. Go to a store, play through all the amps you can.

A piece of advice though: don't straight-out ignore ANY amp in the store, regardless of looks or brand. There are always some diamonds in the rough that may appeal to you.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't recommend going in with money. Try a bunch out tomorrow, then sleep on it, and try the ones you like best out again. It's a big purchase; don't do something you'll regret.
Last edited by -Blue- at Apr 20, 2011,
Do you need a channel switcher, lots of features, loops, how loud, do you like poweramp or preamp distortion, will you look used, what is your other gear, will you be playing with another guitarist; if so what is he/she using? You need to be as clear as possible when you've got a budget that big.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Mesa Roadster?
Stilletto?
Lonestar?

Tbh I was kinda thinking alone the lines of Mesa Boogie. Whats the difference between these three? Like is one suited towards a genre of music than the others? Etc.

And to the poster above me, As long as its 50 watts+ I'll be fine. I just play with 3 other musicians (drummer, bassist, singer on keyboard and sometimes guitar mostly keyboard tho. When he plays guitar its acoustic) When it comes to other gear I have like nothing, lol. I just have a Vox Wah and a TS-9 Tube Screamer. I don't need that many effects. I'll probably just add a delay in there eventually and thats it. I'm fine with just having 2 channels but 3 is ok too.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Apr 20, 2011,
Bloc Party uses Teles + Fender Hot Rods. A setup like that (or using a Twin Reverb instead) would definately get the great cleans and light overdrive bands like the Peppers, Bloc Party, and a lot of indie bands favor. For extra gain you'd probably need to add a nice OD pedal. Or if it's more important for you to get the extra gain for Incubus and such without a pedal, Mesa would probably be the way to go.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
I love my Roadster. I play on a worship team, so cleans are super important; and an overdriven, classic rock sound is also important. As a hobbyist, though, I play hard rock and metal. The Roadster covers all bases beautifully. Add in a Tubescreamer or Green Rhino MkII (my preference) and you've got great, high-gain tones. I've also recently discovered how amazing an EQ works with this amp.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by schecter ftw
Tbh I was kinda thinking alone the lines of Mesa Boogie. Whats the difference between these three? Like is one suited towards a genre of music than the others? Etc.

And to the poster above me, As long as its 50 watts+ I'll be fine. I just play with 3 other musicians (drummer, bassist, singer on keyboard and sometimes guitar mostly keyboard tho. When he plays guitar its acoustic) When it comes to other gear I have like nothing, lol. I just have a Vox Wah and a TS-9 Tube Screamer. I don't need that many effects. I'll probably just add a delay in there eventually and thats it. I'm fine with just having 2 channels but 3 is ok too.

A Dr Z Maz 18 Jr. would be loud enough to gig with...

Great amp, just not sure it would have enough gain for you...
Quote by schecter ftw

Stilletto is essentially a JCM800 that's been improved in every way.
Lonestar is a typical texas blues amp. Lovely clean channel.
Roadster is Mesa's second to the top model.
Essentially a Road King without the EL34 pwoer section.
4 channels, 3 modes per channel.
One of the most versatile amps on sale today- does everything from jazz to blues to classic rock to hair metal to full on death metal.

Mind you, the Recto sound is a bit of a love hate thing.

EDIT: Mesa Royal Atlantic might also be something you'll like.
good god man a 2000 dollar budget? shit i say the sky is the limit!!

TRY EVERYTHING lol

what is wrong with the tourmaster? my buddy has one. they are incredibly versatile.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
good god man a 2000 dollar budget? shit i say the sky is the limit!!

TRY EVERYTHING lol

what is wrong with the tourmaster? my buddy has one. they are incredibly versatile.

Died on me twice. Can't be bothered with something thats just gonna shit out on me.
bummmer man

id suggest a randall rm100 because you can mix and match whatever preamps you want.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by schecter ftw
^Thank you very much man I'll look into these.

I'm gonna guess the top market Mesa being the Mark V?

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUu nublet.
Mark V is at the same or slightly lower "level" as the Roadster.

Flagship is the Road King II. But a new one is WAAAAY outa your budget. USD 2.8K.

Same as the roadster, BUT.....
It's got two poweramps, a 50W EL34 and a 100W 6L6.
You can run either or both together for a 120W mode.
You can assign different poweramps for different channels.

Read up on it at the Mesa site.

EDIT: The Mark V is a great amp, but notoriously hard to dial in.
It's also very middy for a 6L6 amp, I'd say its mroe of a shredders amp, very smooth and middy sounding. However the cleans are far superior to anything short of a Lonestar/Roadster.

Dont take any offence. I've always wanted to call someone that
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by schecter ftw

I think the MKV that has been suggested will be great for your needs. It probably is a bit fiddly for what you want - assuming you want a straight-up amp with no unnecessary thrills - but considering you used to own a Tourmaster you must be accustomed to having lots of switches and tone sculpting options.

You may also like to look into the Diezel Einstein, second-hand. It might be a bit out of your price range but it's a fantastic piece of work for that kind of music. It has the blend of vintage and modern tonal characteristics that the Mark V has.

The Fryette Sig:X is also another amp I highly recommend. It's not really a metal amp, in my opinion, as some might assume. It's capable of it but can do so much more. It has a very sweet spank to it that is awesome for clean passages, even with a lot of gain. The sharp and precise attack would be fantastic for Bloc Party / Chili Peppers type stuff.

If you're looking for something more vintage then the Rockerverb 100 MKII is pretty sweet. It has a nice clean channel that encapsulates a feeling (like a Marshall) as well as capturing your guitar tone and amplifying it. The distortion channel can be a little fizzy at times, in my opinion, but that was with the 50 watt version and people say the 100 watt version steps around those problems.
Get a hold of Craig at CEC!
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by schecter ftw
Thank you guys for all your help. I went to the Guitar Center today and played a bunch of amps. I must have been there for a solid 3 hours. But I finally picked the Mark V combo. Thank you all for the help!

NAD? Please
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Road King or Egnater Renegade get my vote.

What did you not like about the Tourmaster? I didn't care for it as much as the Renegade. The Renegade is titts man.
Read the last two comments n00bz!1\!

Quote by schecter ftw
Thank you guys for all your help. I went to the Guitar Center today and played a bunch of amps. I must have been there for a solid 3 hours. But I finally picked the Mark V combo. Thank you all for the help!

Awesome! yeah we need a NAD thread on this sucker. Sorry I missed your post about finding an amp.
NAD thread soon!
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by schecter ftw
^Just want some recommendations....

And I'm paying for most of it ($1,500) so I don't wanna just buy on impulse.

although the guy who said why ask a forum for that kind of money did it kind of dicky he has a point. it would seem that you already bought on impulse by saying you are bringing the egnator back.

your best bet is to bring your guitar with you and try as many amps as you can. keep in mind that having more of anything than you need isn't a bad thing. you don't have to use all the gain for instance that an amp offers. perhaps run a couple of pedals that you might use thru it and see how it reacts. as someone else mentioned don't discount any amp because you percieve it to be say to "metal" etc. you never really know what will work best for you.
Interesting how no one has mentioned the Electra-Dyne, which IMO is the best Mesa currently out. I urge you to try one out. Other Mesas have their purpose...if you want a feature monster go for a Mark V or a Stiletto, but honestly if you want great tone in a simple (and loud) package, go for an Electra-Dyne.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

^ lrn2read dood, he already bought the Mark V

Waiting for an awesome NAD
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by schecter ftw

Mesa Lonestar
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Quote by GS LEAD 5
NUUUUUUUUUUUUUu nublet.
Mark V is at the same or slightly lower "level" as the Roadster.

Flagship is the Road King II. But a new one is WAAAAY outa your budget. USD 2.8K.

Same as the roadster, BUT.....
It's got two poweramps, a 50W EL34 and a 100W 6L6.
You can run either or both together for a 120W mode.
You can assign different poweramps for different channels.

Read up on it at the Mesa site.

EDIT: The Mark V is a great amp, but notoriously hard to dial in.
It's also very middy for a 6L6 amp, I'd say its mroe of a shredders amp, very smooth and middy sounding. However the cleans are far superior to anything short of a Lonestar/Roadster.

Dont take any offence. I've always wanted to call someone that

You obviously do not own or have played any mesa. There are other manufacturers you know. I thought the mark combo I tried was pathetic, especially for it's insane price. I'm sure it sounds better in head/cab format, but it was absolute crap as a combo. The high gain was laughable, everything else was okay but there are much better sounding amps for much cheaper that can cover that territory.

And a jcm800 is worlds better than a stiletto.
Page 1 of 2