I've been playing shows for a while now and I've seen a few bands using two amp heads at once. For example one band called Leviathan uses a Peavey 6505+ on top of a Marshall JCM 2000. I use a 6505 and I can't imagine needing to use another amp along with it. I've been curious about this for a while. Please help.

(The bands that I'm talking about are Metal/Hardcore)
So you can blend two different sounds to get a unique one. So maybe one amp has the mids scooped, and the other has the mids boosted. But since they are usually different heads, they're gonna sound different anyway
as was said above me, it's often to get a unique tone

also, a lot of the time with bigger metal/hardcore bands they'll have a rig for clean and one for dirty

it's usually for one of those two reasons. or because they want to look more badass
or for a backup
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
because different amps are good at different things. i can get a high gain monster that does awesome leads and some nice heavy rhythm stuff, but those amps arent always great for clean or cleanish stuff. other times bands want to blend sounds. like get a really bright amp that is run clean and mix with a dark amp set to some crunch (or whatever). there are lots of reasons to run multiple amps, and most of them involve getting sounds you cant from just a single amp.
There are a few bands that I've heard of over the years that have what appear to be heads on stage when it's little more than an empty box with a couple of lights to give it the appearance of being used. Apparently the three + 100w heads on stage are pretty much props and the sound over the PA is coming from a cranked 45w combo miked up backstage.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
With that in mind (and I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I had a quick question)

How would one do that? I haven't the slightest idea at how it would work.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

To use in stereo, you just need two heads, then either two cabs or a can with stereo capabilities, then a splitter for your guitar to go into each, adjust knobs as needed, then headband the shot out of thy neighbors
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
So essentially just get a splitter and I can **** with two amps at once?

Glorious.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I sometimes send a dry signal from either a delay or Micro Pog to achieve the same ends - depends on the band I'm with at the time and what we're playing.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.