I have a Line 6 HD100 Valve Head and yesterday something happened with one of the power amp tubes.

I'm not ENTIRELY sure but I'm PRETTY sure the amp was on standby.

My amp made a really loud sound. Wasn't really a hiss or anything. Actually sounded more like a roar.

Then I looked at the tubes and my rightmost poweramp tube was glowing bright red.

A few hours later I turned the amp on for a minute and the tube was back to normal glow.

What do?

Edit: I should note that I've had this amp for about three years and have never replaced the tubes aside from adding an additional preamp tube for the SVpre mod.
Last edited by ThorVonClemson at Apr 20, 2011,
IMO you don't have to put the tubes on that long?
it's not good for the tubes / amp..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250

Do you mean it's bad to have the same tubes for that long?
I just noticed your name. Epic.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by ThorVonClemson
Do you mean it's bad to have the same tubes for that long?

how long have you let the on button on and the standby button down?
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
how long have you let the on button on and the standby button down?

For like three minutes.
it sounds like that tube was redplating. that's not usually something that fixes itself.

3 years is a good amount of time on a set of power tubes imo.

could be time to have a new set put in and the amp checked over. it can't hurt anyway and if it's your main rig it's worth it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Tunder250

He never mentioned anything about the length of time the amp was on. Only that the tubes were a few years old....

There is nothing wrong with three year old tube, if they work okay. You said the tube is now glowing normally. Does the amp play right?
Quote by ThorVonClemson
For like three minutes.

if you have it on for a long time it could happen ( had with blackstar after 10 minutes in the store xD )

i dunno then :/

sorry
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by gregs1020
it sounds like that tube was redplating. that's not usually something that fixes itself.

3 years is a good amount of time on a set of power tubes imo.

could be time to have a new set put in and the amp checked over. it can't hurt anyway and if it's your main rig it's worth it.

This.

A tube that is red-plating is never good. I would not turn it on again until someone who is qualified can open it up and take a look. And yes, it could very well need new tubes but just replacing tubes may not fix anything. I wouldn't risk anything including getting yourself electrocuted.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This.

A tube that is red-plating is never good. I would not turn it on again until someone who is qualified can open it up and take a look. And yes, it could very well need new tubes but just replacing tubes may not fix anything. I wouldn't risk anything including getting yourself electrocuted.

Oh shit. D: what is this redplating you guys speak of?
Quote by ThorVonClemson

these links look relative:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=amp+power+tube+red-plating&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d1235bb21e70f3a1

Could be something else i'm just saying I wouldn't move forward like it was nothing to worry about.
Quote by ThorVonClemson

the part where your power tube was glowing bright red.

it's usually followed by the shit hitting the fan, so to speak.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.