Page 1 of 5
The next console generation is finally starting to get some spotlight.

with dates expected for releases in 2012 for nintendo and 2014 for ms and sony.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5794012/microsoft-and-sony-targeting-2014-for-new-consoles-leaving-nintendo-in-the-clear

are you ready for the new generation or think we should stick with gen7 still?

i cant wait tbh, games have hit their graphics capabilities 2 years ago, and have stagnated since. i look forward to seeing the new hardware and its limits.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I just want the Wii to die in a fire comprised of acid. That's right... ACID FIRE
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by boreamor
Consoles need a graphics update yes. But they need to be mindblowingly better or there's no point. Also, xbox and PS3 need to **** off from the Kinect bullshit.

Hey! I have Kinect and it is bloody fun.

But yes, I completely agree about the graphics needing to be a lot better. Not that they're not that good at the mo, but to have a next generation needs something to make it stand out, and the obvious thing seems to be much better graphics. That'd be my first stop anyway
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Apr 20, 2011,
We havn't reached any sort of detail limit, render size is alot lower than what it could be (stuff like max view distance, max shadows, LOD range) as well as physics and enviroment interaction.
Isn't Kinect just some better version of Eye toy for PS2? And I don't remember, but wasn't there something before Eye toy aswell?

But, I'm really looking forward for the PS4, aaaaand the PSP2 (2 analog sticks! )
I see they've been creative with the names.

How much better can graphics get? Landscapes are already pretty much photorealistic, while human figures are struggling with the uncanny valley. If they can fix that, it'll be a huge step forward.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
The next console generation is finally starting to get some spotlight.

with dates expected for releases in 2012 for nintendo and 2014 for ms and sony.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5794012/microsoft-and-sony-targeting-2014-for-new-consoles-leaving-nintendo-in-the-clear

are you ready for the new generation or think we should stick with gen7 still?

i cant wait tbh, games have hit their graphics capabilities 2 years ago, and have stagnated since. i look forward to seeing the new hardware and its limits.

This is frankly, untrue.

I'm all for a new generation of consoles, but there's no rush as far as I'm concerned. This generation has had a longer shelf life than any other, and the limits of both the 360 and PS3 are still being pushed, PS3 moreso.

Frankly, as long as developers can continue to develop and push on the current generation, why rush a new generation of consoles? It just means that as a consumer I pay more into the market, and as a business, it means they're removing potential profit.

Although with a tentative release of 2014 though, that means the 360 will have enjoyed a shelf life of 8 years, which is nothing to sniff at!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I don't think games will be able grow graphically for a while. I may be wrong, but I think they would be off trying to tremendously improve hardware performance and creativity (though I'm not really into these motion and 3-D things...)
I pride myself on my humility.
For those saying graphics need to be better,

this is Unreal Engines 3 latest update graphics capabilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGf0oGGGQqQ

the majority of this is out of reach in current generations hardware, and currently only deployable on computer gaming since the hardware is so much more powerful

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I hope graphics can finally peak so that game developers can start focusing on good gameplay.
Quote by zgr0826
I just want the Wii to die in a fire comprised of acid. That's right... ACID FIRE

Hmm, I'm gonna use that as the title of a song I'm writing, 'tis be cool?
Quote by JimmyBanks6

this is Unreal Engines 3 latest update graphics capabilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGf0oGGGQqQ

Quote by SlayingDragons
Hmm, I'm gonna use that as the title of a song I'm writing, 'tis be cool?

Hell yes!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Oh I have nothing against the Kinect and other such motion controlled gaming. But they need to stop saying that this is the future of gaming. If I wanted to have fun moving around, and I would go paintballing instead of pretending in my house. It's why I rarely play my Wii, it requires too much effort.

I personally don't see the point of increasing graphics until we get something with a minimum of Crysis on Ultra as the standard. When they make games that have full environmental physics (you blow up a wall, the bricks go flying and destroy the cover) instead of the small/half environmental physics we have now, then maybe. But I still think Gen7 can do that, they just don't want to.
Quote by boreamor
Oh I have nothing against the Kinect and other such motion controlled gaming. But they need to stop saying that this is the future of gaming. If I wanted to have fun moving around, and I would go paintballing instead of pretending in my house. It's why I rarely play my Wii, it requires too much effort.

I personally don't see the point of increasing graphics until we get something with a minimum of Crysis on Ultra as the standard. When they make games that have full environmental physics (you blow up a wall, the bricks go flying and destroy the cover) instead of the small/half environmental physics we have now, then maybe. But I still think Gen7 can do that, they just don't want to.

that physics description you just talked about is in Unreal Engine 3.

for both the console AND mobile version,

high end video games on phones will have that true physics scatter

/edit it may not be unreal, but it was a physics engine that is very commonly used on console and they have a mobile version of it, i watched a video on it

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by boreamor

It's not so much that developers don't want to, it's more the incredible demands that programming something like that puts on development teams. And with games being multi-million pound investments, much like movies, teams work to strict deadlines, and are constantly under pressure to deliver their products.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
that physics description you just talked about is in Unreal Engine 3.

for both the console AND mobile version,

high end video games on phones will have that true physics scatter

(Invalid img)
I like my 360 - unless any significantly great games are released with the release of Xbox 3 that won't be available on 360 then I'll be sticking with my 360. I can't see how the games can get much better in terms of the graphics, and given the amount of issues when Xbox 360 first launched, I'll wait a year or so before I get Xbox 3 after its release.
hmmmmmm I could happily live with my 360 for another 8 years to be honest I see no reason for there to be a next gen release in 2014 when, as other UGers have stated, the limits of this generation are still being pushed!

EDIT: Although the thought of Fallout with graphics like those on display on the Unreal Engine 3 makes me, well, something that I maybe shouldn't share with UG.
Last edited by the_hoodster at Apr 20, 2011,
I think we're due for a new generation of consoles. I realize the current generation hasn't reached its graphical peak yet, but in current games with lots of action going on or with good physics, they tend to struggle. I hope Microsoft does something about the Xbox being so loud, I get the impression that it's really struggling all the time.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by boreamor

Oh definitely. Kinect and the Wii in my opinion, aren't as fun as standard games on your own. However, putting Kinect Sports on at a party after everyone's had a few is very good fun. It has it's niche it fits nicely.

I reckon the technology is there to do some incredible things with gaming, but I think it's more of a case of not putting all your eggs in one basket. I mean, if they pushed themselves as hard as they could to bring out something that is as truly as good as they can get it, it's gunna become a standard very quickly, then everyone's gunna want something better and it's gunna make it harder for them to produce something. So they're just milking what they currently have before doing something explosive. I'm cool with that though.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

i cant wait tbh, games have hit their graphics capabilities 2 years ago

Graphics improve steadily. If you don't think Gears Of War 2 looks better than the first you aren't playing it on a HDTV.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
Graphics improve steadily. If you don't think Gears Of War 2 looks better than the first you aren't playing it on a HDTV.

its on an hd, its just not a big leap.

and what im saying is the game gets laggy on high high end graphics areas such as in crysis 2 at some scenes.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

and what im saying is the game gets laggy on high high end graphics areas such as in crysis 2 at some scenes.

It's not just graphics, too. Better consoles would allow for even better physics, and more feature-rich games.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Ewwwww you pronounce "H" "aitch"? I'm assuming that cuz you put "an" before "HD"
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Ewwwww you pronounce "H" "aitch"? I'm assuming that cuz you put "an" before "HD"

how the hell else do you pronounce it?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Wii 2?

Maybe this time Nintendo can make a console that has graphics better than the PS2
There weren't huge leaps in graphics back in the day either. It just is when you look at it in a timeline. Graphics improve steadily, but the step from 2D to 3D has already been taken.

Compare the graphics of today's games to the early games that came out for the very same consoles and you'll see what I mean.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Like haytch

never heard it said that way before

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

the majority of this is out of reach in current generations hardware, and currently only deployable on computer gaming since the hardware is so much more powerful

Doesn't matter, getting a console to be able to run that would be really expensive and just remove one of the key points of a console.

Also, I need not worry about stagnating graphics.

I have a PC.
Last edited by creelers at Apr 20, 2011,
I still love my 360, graphics seem to be improving still, it's a solid platform. By 2014, I'm sure there will be plenty of new technology to be released.

Anyway. To be honest, the new consoles are probably going to be synchronized with the new display technology. In other words, it's going to be released around the same time that TVs with 2160p resolution or the new "4k" video quality that's coming out.

My laptop cannot run 4k video. It's a dual core 2.8 with 4gigs of ram, not that bad, but 4k res video makes my computer friggen die.

Example of 4k video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0m1XmvBey8 select "Original"
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I still love my 360, graphics seem to be improving still, it's a solid platform. By 2014, I'm sure there will be plenty of new technology to be released.

Anyway. To be honest, the new consoles are probably going to be synchronized with the new display technology. In other words, it's going to be released around the same time that TVs with 2160p resolution or the new "4k" video quality that's coming out.

My laptop cannot run 4k video. It's a dual core 2.8 with 4gigs of ram, not that bad, but 4k res video makes my computer friggen die.

Example of 4k video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0m1XmvBey8 select "Original"

they are going above 1080p

didnt they prove that the difference between 720p and 1080p (other than being able to zoom out farther) isnt even noticeable by the human eye.

why would they need to go more detailed lol.

ive got a framerate of a guess around 3 frames/second LOL

2.6ghz i3

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
they are going above 1080p

didnt they prove that the difference between 720p and 1080p (other than being able to zoom out farther) isnt even noticeable by the human eye.

why would they need to go more detailed lol.

Proven? It's noticeable pretty easily if you're wearing glasses. I still get 720p movies because it looks great without being a huge file size to download. Rule of thumb as a TV salesman, if you have a TV below 32in, you don't need 1080p.

Honestly, I think 1080p will be around for awhile, the real innovation is going on in the refresh rate. Most TV's will be 240hz by the time these consoles come out. If you've seen a movie in 120hz, it's pretty ridiculous how much of a difference it makes.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I don't get the Wii hate in this thread, but anyway.....

I really don't see a need for new consoles yet. The graphical capabilities that they offer currently are fine. There really isn't much of a point when you have yet to even reach the limit of the current hardware.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Page 1 of 5