Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble with bends.

Main problem is that when I bend I touch the string next to the one being bent and when I release the bend, the string sounds.

For example: I bend the B string, it touches the G string and when I release the bend in the B string the G string rings.

Thanks for your help!
One thing you can do is when you bend (make sure your fingernails are cut) is push the other string up with your fingernail. Kind of like bending under the other string. So when you release the bend, it will just slide off instead of ringing. Another thing that is kind of a substitute for that is mute the string with your picking hand's palm, that is, the string that you don't want to ring.
Its natural to run into the next string up/down. I kinda notice myself either enunciating the main bend note enough that it drowns out whatever small other sounds might come through, and palm mute control on the strings you don't want to sound also helps. Just keep practicing it, it will be easier every day. Hope this helps.

As for sounding on release thats normal, you can once again palm mute it, or just bring the string back down to its normal position while staying fretting(so the note goes up then back down with your bend).
speeed killz
Quote by Skullivan
One thing you can do is when you bend (make sure your fingernails are cut) is push the other string up with your fingernail. Kind of like bending under the other string. So when you release the bend, it will just slide off instead of ringing. Another thing that is kind of a substitute for that is mute the string with your picking hand's palm, that is, the string that you don't want to ring.

Yep i was gonna suggest the first its easier and more natural. That way you dont have to worry about muting often.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
You mute the lower pitches with your right hand

Also you have to push the other strings up a bit with your left hand so that the bent string doesn't get tangled with them
-----------------------------------------

I have a question too on this subject, might as well put it here:
Guys, I analysed my technique the other day and realized I'm not muting the string higher in pitch when bending... I'ts not a big problem since I control my left hand so that it doesn't touch them and very rarely will there be any noise.
Do you guys mute them by barring higher pitch strings? Is it something I shoud look to correct?
Last edited by Guitarra_acores at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by Guitarra_acores

Guys, I analised my technique...

^Oh lord.

I have my action set just high enough that my fingers don't catch on other strings. I also use my right hand to mute unwanted strings, especially when releasing bends.
practice muting with both your picking hand and your fretting hand, I typically make bends with either my ring finger using my middle finger for extra strength, aor my pinky using both the ring finger and middle finger for extra strength, of course there are some exceptions but not many, any way this leaves my index finger open to mute behind the note.

then simple palm muting takes care of everything else.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by dr83
^Oh lord.

I have my action set just high enough that my fingers don't catch on other strings. I also use my right hand to mute unwanted strings, especially when releasing bends.

What's that supposed to mean? I don't get it

Anyway I figured out a way to solve the problem by simply changing the angle of my first finger a bit when bending. So now all lower string are muted by right hand and all higher string by 1st finger. Keeps everything nice and quiet only the intended note rings if done right
Quote by Guitarra_acores
What's that supposed to mean? I don't get it

Analyzed= To examine critically
Analised= Typo implying you have shoved your technique up your ass
Last edited by yearzero at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by yearzero
Analyzed= To examine critically
Analised= Typo implying you have shoved your technique up your ass

Now that's something akward to say

Well my english is kind of rusty. Haven't practised in a long time
People from all over the world come here for advise. I figured typos would be a common issue that's why I didn't get what was he critisising
Quote by Guitarra_acores

Now that's something akward to say

Well my english is kind of rusty. Haven't practised in a long time
People from all over the world come here for advise. I figured typos would be a common issue that's why I didn't get what was he critisising

That's a kind of embarrassing typo though i'm gonna edit it