I'm fixing up a friends guitar for him because he's the classic amazingly talented guitarist/musician/singer but doesn't know SHIT about technical stuff or even what string guage to be using. He's been polaying for years and is completely oblivious to how gear works lol. But anyhow:

When I first got his guitar he had either 12/13's or acoustic strings on. (I play 10's sometimes 11s and these where no 11s. I could barely bend the strings and the action was absolutely horrible. Funny note: before I realized he had such ridiculous strings on I suggested he be using 10's as opposed to 9's and he was worried 10s would be too heavy!!! Haha he's a dumbass. Anyhow)

BTW this is a 90s japanese strat. Whammy, no locking nut or tuners, 3 s/c pups, ect ect. Pretty stamdard axe

So I put 10s on it, set the action and its buzzing like crazy. I can't make the action any higher either. The neck does NOT look warped at all. Shouldn't need truss rod adjustment. the frets all seem to be flat and level.
Any ideas? Maybe it needs a spacer under the neck, but why? This guitar should be fine with 104 on it
If the nut got worn out from using too big of strings it may be buzzing at the nut with the smaller strings
Insomnium, Noumena, Katatonia- My favorite bands
sorry forgot to mention

i thought about that and have lookat the nut, it doesnt seem to be too worn down at all
any other diagnosis? lol

i DO have a BOX full of new nuts but ive actually never installed one... how do you go about it?
Quote by legion69

i DO have a BOX full of new nuts but ive actually never installed one... how do you go about it?

tap the old nut out by tapping it with a small hammer

should pop right off

make sure the new nut fits correctly(put it on and tune the guitar WITHOUT gluing it just to see how it feels and if the action is ok)

use 3 drops of wood glue(or superglue works fine, dries faster and holds just as well)

if you use wood glue tune the guitar up so the strings hold it in place

give it a couple hours for the glue to harden
k, thanks.. good to know if i have to, but like i said, i really dont think thats what it is.. any other ideas?
Quote by legion69
k, thanks.. good to know if i have to, but like i said, i really dont think thats what it is.. any other ideas?

what frets are buzzing?
heres the thing.. with the saddles all raised to the highest action, tuned to 440 they were pretty much all buzzing at random frets and strings.. i could tell you specifically if it helps, but i figure if its buzzing with the action at the highest point, its not gonna be any one particular fret... is that thinking right>? lol
i dunno man, that neck looks pretty damn straight to me... i even had to get my girlfriend to reassure me that yes indeed, that neck is pretty straight... whats less destructive, truss rod or nut replacement haha
Wait, if the fret buzz is new just what were you sorting in the first place?
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
did you adjust the bridge height or the saddle height?

Is it buzzing all over, or just certain places?
its just a typical strat trem.. i raised the saddles. i dont know how you could raise the whole bridge on this guitar unless you mean loosening the tension on the springs in the back
Quote by legion69
i dunno man, that neck looks pretty damn straight to me... i even had to get my girlfriend to reassure me that yes indeed, that neck is pretty straight... whats less destructive, truss rod or nut replacement haha

try loosening the truss rod, the neck shouldnt be straight
k thx guys ill let u know what happens, when i get back to that particular guitar sometime this week
I think your just jealous of this guy so you sabotaged his guitar
( I mean you did say he was amazing and took time out to make fun of him like twice)
Then he got you a present or something and now you feel bad and want to undo it
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

We need to know what strings are buzzing and on what frets. Knowing where it's buzzing will help us know what actions to take in order to fix it.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I think your just jealous of this guy so you sabotaged his guitar
( I mean you did say he was amazing and took time out to make fun of him like twice)
Then he got you a present or something and now you feel bad and want to undo it

hahahah
no i can honestly say it has nothing to do with jealousy... i make fun because its true.. he really is clueless about guitars/gear/the industry (and even admits it) but the guys def got the chops. my career is pretty stable and doin pretty fine so i just wanna help out a bud.... hes just needs some direction.

still havent gotten back to the guitar.. will name the buzzing frets and maybe post some pics after the weekend... got a show tommorow night i gotta get ready for
Last edited by legion69 at Apr 22, 2011,
Ehhh ya prolly don't need to be calling your friend a clueless dumbass given your current condition and all.....
Insomnium, Noumena, Katatonia- My favorite bands