What the title says, I have a unfinished guitar, but it has a painting on the front of an octopus, can I tru-oil the entire body safely?
I should probably know this, since I go to an art school. But I dunno bro...srry
don't bother me, I just wanted it to not rot. If it wont dissolve the paint and will stick thats good news
Umm I never said it was alder, it's an old hondo strat copy made out of plywood. I had a girl paint an octopus and the new name of the guitar on it. and it needs a clear coat.

Here is some pics of the guitar
Attachments:
image.jpeg
photo(9).JPG
Quote by askrere
What the title says, I have a unfinished guitar, but it has a painting on the front of an octopus, can I tru-oil the entire body safely?

In a word, no. Tru-oil, like any oil, soaks into wood to give it a protective finish and you can layer it up from there. If you put oil over paint or lacquer, it's not got anything to absorb into and will just dry as a film over the paint.
Ok, so update, when I was handling the guitar I realized it feels like it has a slight clear coat on it, and the girl had painted over it. only the front of the headstock feels like raw wood, but there is paint there. So the consensus is just use my can of krylon clean glossy?