I began my first guitar build a few weeks ago and everything went really well, only a few mistakes here and there but the guitar looks great and sounds great. The only problem I am having is setting it up, it seems the humbuckers I bought have really big adjustable bobbins (i don't know if that's the correct term but you can use a flat head screw driver to adjust one side of the humbucker.) So when I fret the higher frets (specifically on the high and low E) the string actually touches the humbucker and causes buzz.

So some information about the guitar. It's a bolt on neck and closely resembles a strat. 25.5" scale length and strat style trem.

So the biggest question, should I shim the entire neck pocket to raise the neck enough so the action can be medium-low and dodge the humbucker (and what would make the best shim material)? Or is there another option that will allow me to avoid hitting the humbucker with the strings?
The pickups are lowered all the way down and they are still hitting, and because it essentially a strat clone the pickups are mounted to the pick guard without pickup rings.
Quote by joshmckinnon
try to make the pickup rout (the hole) a little deeper, then you wont have to mess with the neck.

heres a good link: http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar!/step3/ROUTING-THE-BODY-AND-CAVITIES/

thats not going to work if the pickups are mounted to the pickguard.

TS, i think a neck shim is in order, but thats not something i've ever had to do, so i have no idea what you would need to use.
In case anyone still cares about this topic. I did end up doing a full pocket neck shim and it worked great. I grabbed some dry wall sanding mesh and cut it to shape. Then I placed it in the neck pocket and screwed on the neck. This initially didn't fix my problem just because there wasn't enough material in between the neck and body to fix the string touching the pickup, so another piece of sanding mesh and the job was done.

Everything worked incredibly well and the guitar plays great now.