A friend of my dads gave me an american strat a while back. It was pretty beat up, but Ive managed to make it almost playable. The only thing that is really affecting the way it plays is the screw insert. I know for sures that it used to be a 6 screw pivot, but it was modified to be a 2 point pivot bridge. In that process, the person who owned the guitar before me put the screw inserts in, and one of them isnt completely in. Part of the screw insert is sticking out, like 1/8 of an inch, and it really makes the higher strings stand out, action wise. How would I go about flattening that insert?
Quote by xxIceManxx08
A friend of my dads gave me an american strat a while back. It was pretty beat up, but Ive managed to make it almost playable. The only thing that is really affecting the way it plays is the screw insert. I know for sures that it used to be a 6 screw pivot, but it was modified to be a 2 point pivot bridge. In that process, the person who owned the guitar before me put the screw inserts in, and one of them isnt completely in. Part of the screw insert is sticking out, like 1/8 of an inch, and it really makes the higher strings stand out, action wise. How would I go about flattening that insert?

You mean the inserts for the tremolo posts? If it hasn't been drilled to the proper depth you have to remove it and do some drilling. Before you do that, you can remove the bridge and screw in the post for the insert thats too high. Give it a couple whacks with a wooden jointers mallet so you don't ruin the finish. If it doesn't go in further you have to remove it and drill a tiny bit more.
Alright. My shop teacher has a bunch of tools and hes gonna help with this little project. If I cant manage to push it down, how would you get the insert out? o_O
Follow up:
Last night me and my dad realized there was a fracture in the wood down there, so we didnt want to hit it or try and press the insert down. We ended up using an abrasive tool to literally grind off the part that was sticking out. The trem post fit right back in and screwed on perfectly. Now Im just awaiting a callaham guitar sustain block and ill be finished with this strat.
Good you fixed your issue. In the future, if you want to get the insert out you just screw in the post and use a claw hammer to pry it out. You can also build an extractor with a few parts from Home Depot but the claw hammer has always worked for me. Just make sure to put a towel or something over the finish of the guitar.