I just got Reason and its confusing the hell out of me (switched from reaper)
So does anyone know of any good free guides specifically for electronic stuff??
electronic = experiment thats the best way...what i do...

how to actually use Reason literally...look up tutorial on youtube
Look up videos on Youtube. First of all, what's confusing you? Do you have a midi controller? You can use Reason without one, but it sure does help. Tell us what you're having problems with.

Stop focusing on all of the tiny details and think about the big picture. Think, what IS Reason? Well, it's several things, but all in all think of it as an instrument... Or rather all sorts of instruments. Like a keyboard you would find in a store, only all of the sounds are on your computer instead of on a hard drive inside of a self contained unit.

You may know all of this and think that I'm being condescending. That isn't the purpose of what I'm saying. In order to utilize any tool, you must first understand the basic premise behind the tool. This is why you need to post the specifics of what is confusing you. You are being extremely vague.

Maybe you're getting confused because Reason is more than just an instrument. It is a series of instruments, effects units, sequencers, mixers, etc. So first, focus on the basics. Signal flow. Work on getting one instrument to put out sound, then try putting an effect on that sound, maybe even try combining instruments to make new instruments that aren't possible in the realm of the real. As I said, start with the basics and work from there.

Also, what version of Reason are you using?
You should have a PDF version of the manual that came with the software. That program is a little different from others because the layout is supposed to simulate using real hardware. It's really not that complicated once you learn a few basic concepts.
Im using reason 5 and I just don't get basic details like how to add tracks. Also when I open reason it automatically opens the demo song which is kind of annoying yeah I know i'm a newb
Also when I start layering the effects it just ends up sounding like shit
Last edited by sexybacon at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by sexybacon
Im using reason 5 and I just don't get basic details like how to add tracks. Also when I open reason it automatically opens the demo song which is kind of annoying yeah I know i'm a newb

http://tinyurl.com/6kp9wex

Seriously, start there before asking here
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by sexybacon

I think in preferences you tell it what file to open up as a default. I know it is annoying, but I just set it to open a blank session. You could set it to open a template with a mixer and a few synths already loaded in if you wanted to.

How to add tracks? Create a new instrument. You can do that by loading a specific piece of gear or by browsing patches. Once you create a new instrument a sequencer track automatically gets created for it. Otherwise, you can create a sequencer track and map it to what ever instrument to want.

Edit:

How are you patching in effects? If you're patching straight through like malstrom > distortion> reverb > mixer, shit can get messy quick. Try patching reverb to an aux send instead. That way you can blend the wet reverb sound with the dry instrument. There's also a wet/dry knob on one of the reverbs you can use to. That helps maintain clarity.
Last edited by suppositron at Apr 22, 2011,
The tutorials that come with programs really help.
Most likely in the "Help" tab at the top. I'm not familiar with Reason though.

It's worthwhile to read through the whole manual and tutorials that the program provides.
I learnt so much from the Cubase AI4 Tutorial.
..I was watching my death.