Hey, has anyone seen that video from guitarmessenger.com where the guitar tech of Mikael Akerfeldt (from Opeth, die if you do not know this -.- ) shows us his rig...

Which is basically
Guitar----> Boss GT-8----> Laney tube amp head

no messing around with the effects loop n all that jazz...

BUT the thing that confused me was, that the guitar tech mentioned that the Laney amps (they had two in case one should blow up hehe) were set at GAIN ZERO...

could anyone explain WHY and HOW this would work?

The video can be found here: http://www.guitarmessenger.com/artist-masterclasses/opeth-bonus-mikael-akerfeldts-gear/
I'm guessing the GT-8 is used for amp simulation straight into the front of the Laney. Couldn't say why they wouldn't just run it straight into the poweramp. Maybe he just likes the color the preamp gives it.
Quote by ChrisBW
I'm guessing the GT-8 is used for amp simulation straight into the front of the Laney. Couldn't say why they wouldn't just run it straight into the poweramp. Maybe he just likes the color the preamp gives it.

Yeah but my question is, why is the gain at zero?? like, won't there be NO SOUND if the gain's nill?
Depends on the amp. Some amps, turning the gain all the way down just radically cuts volume, but you still have a little signal. I had an old Kustom that was at practice-amp volume with the volume turned all the way off (and would then go to window-busting as you turned it up). Maybe the Laneys are like that.
I just stared at a picture of the front panel for like 5 minutes and finally just looked up the manual.

"Sets the level of tube preamplifier gain or how dirty your sound is. This control should be used in conjunction with the Master Volume. Setting low levels of gain with high levels of volume will give a clean preamplifier sound with tube output stage overdrive."

So the gain control on sets the gain in the sense that gain is distortion, not volume. I do feel like having the gain at 0 wouldn't do much for you though.

Another lesson in RTFM
The Laney GH100L has a master volume. Having the gain down won't affect volume...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ArSeNiK
Hey, has anyone seen that video from guitarmessenger.com where the guitar tech of Mikael Akerfeldt (from Opeth, die if you do not know this -.- ) shows us his rig...

Which is basically
Guitar----> Boss GT-8----> Laney tube amp head

no messing around with the effects loop n all that jazz...

BUT the thing that confused me was, that the guitar tech mentioned that the Laney amps (they had two in case one should blow up hehe) were set at GAIN ZERO...

could anyone explain WHY and HOW this would work?

The video can be found here: http://www.guitarmessenger.com/artist-masterclasses/opeth-bonus-mikael-akerfeldts-gear/

I actually did not know this and came in to ask who the hell he was. Listening to the band, I feel like I was better not knowing.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by shaggydogJV
I actually did not know this and came in to ask who the hell he was. Listening to the band, I feel like I was better not knowing.

You shall die a horrible horrible death

Mikael Akerfeldt is using the Axe FX now, as is Frederick.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Apr 21, 2011,
I'm guessing the GT8 is not plugged into the front of the amp, but into the return-jack of the loop, bypassing the entire preamp. Doesn't matter what the gain is set at then.