Will the difference in volume be substantial? Also, would a 50W amp sound a lot better at low volume?

Thx.
Based on what I've heard, you gain approximately 3db every time you double the wattage.

And whether it will sound better depends on the type of amp; a lot of modern high gain stuff doesn't actually sound that much better, as the gain comes from the pre-amp tubes, primarily, not the power tubes.

That said, I don't know jack about the inner workings of amps. Eurotubes.com is bursting with this kind of information, might e worth your while to head on over there.
Quote by hawk5211
It completely depends on the kind of amp. I have a 100W SOLID-STATE Fender, which is no louder at full honk (despite being a 2x12) than my 15W TUBE Blues Junior (1x12)

what about a Marshall DSL100 or DSL50?
Quote by Wolffgang
Based on what I've heard, you gain approximately 3db every time you double the wattage.

And whether it will sound better depends on the type of amp; a lot of modern high gain stuff doesn't actually sound that much better, as the gain comes from the pre-amp tubes, primarily, not the power tubes.

That said, I don't know jack about the inner workings of amps. Eurotubes.com is bursting with this kind of information, might e worth your while to head on over there.

you need 10 times the power to double the volume so a 50watt and a 100watt amp will have nearly the same volume.

big difference in sound and behavior.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Rediculously long titled thread is SEARCHBAR.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by AcousticMirror
you need 10 times the power to double the volume so a 50watt and a 100watt amp will have nearly the same volume.

big difference in sound and behavior.

do you mean that the amp will distort better at lower volumes?
the dsl's are super loud. You won't notice much of a difference between them though. with my current knowledge, i definitely would have purchased a 50 watt since there are less tubes to replace. Its still going to have to be somewhat louder than what you would like for bedroom levels to get a solid tone, the 50 will perform marginally better (if its really noticeable at all for the dsl's)

tldr: Get the 50 watt DSL
The only place you'll really notice the difference is if you are really cranking the volume on them. The 50W will breakup slightly earlier. Not a lot in it really. The big advantage of a 100W amp is more headroom. That makes them better for modern metal because you want as little power amp distortion as possible.
At bedroom levels you won't notice any difference.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Short answer?

Pretty much none.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Not much difference in volume, the 100 watt will just have a lot more headroom and, in my experience, have a little more bass response at higher volumes. With the DSL series the amps distort incredibly easily anyway, so it really doesn't make that much difference which one you go for. I had a DSL50, it sounded amazing but it was very unreliable.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Lower wattage will distort more at lower volume. So it will be better suited to indoor usage - but still gets loud if you put your volume up.
also parts, like speakers have a pretty major effect on volume.

the cab or system the sound is comin out of has a large impact from the point of vew of the listener. it "seems" louder due to more speakrs putting out sound.
Difference in volume is almost nothing. Difference in headroom and low end are the things you'll notice the most.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
How much you can crank the amp before the powertubes begin to distort.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
in my experience the difference is minimal. yes you will have people talking about headroom and you need to get a hotplate, but the truth is that anything over 20 watts for bedroom play is overkill. But in saying that ive had both a 60 w engl fireball and a 120w 5150, and the 5150 sounded better at bedroom play. take from that what you will
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab