Page 1 of 2
Yes, there is a gaming thread. But I want a lot more attention than the five people in it.

Video Games are popular everywhere. The Pit is certainly no exception. My idea is to expand everyone's view of gaming and have fun while doing it. How are we going to do that? I propose a challenge. A challenge in which every week I assign a game, and an objective for that game.

For instance, challenge #1 may be beating the original Super Mario Bros. in under 15 minutes. To the normal person, that would seem impossible. But to the dedicated gamer, they know that is actually very simple. The contestants of the challenge would then record themselves completing that goal.

At the end of every challenge, I would give all contestants that completed the challenge a pre-set amount of points. I would add those points up with their pre-existing points and make a score board ranking all contestants. Don't worry, you never get eliminated or anything. You don't even have to be a "gamer" to sign up. Just somebody that wants to have fun.

I wouldn't limit it to "classic" games, and some challenges may be more difficult than others. I would also be happy to take requests for games and challenges. But I would prefer something easily emulated or purchased, that way more people can join in on the fun. (Think of Wii Virtual Console, Xbox Live Arcade, Steam, etc.)

Don't worry, an emulator and screen capture device is all you need and is very simple to use. I would be happy to help people set them up if they don't know how. But you will easily get some extra geek cred for doing it on a legit system. (And yes, emulation is free. Just not "respected".)

What does everyone think?
Is it just me, or did your avatar get faster?
What a long strange trip it's been

Nothing to see here.

You hail the calves as eloquently as any facade of Easter Island.

Quote by Pencil Man
You know it get's serious when UG's Obama tells you off.

Call me Mr. President
Quote by Nomack
Is it just me, or did your avatar get faster?

It's just on edge because you're as good at your job as Bush was.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I always got confused at World 8-4.

Part of the challenge will probably be studying how "experts" play the game. But whats to lose by joining?
Quote by JacobTheMe
Part of the challenge will probably be studying how "experts" play the game. But whats to lose by joining?

Well, I don't have my old gaming system anymore [you know, the one with cartridges], so you'll have to teach me how to use ROMs and stuff.
Quote by TheReverend724
Super Metroid 100% speed runs

OHLEHDOIT

I've actually been thinking about some Metroid related challenges. I think that particular one would be a little too time consuming though.

And yeah, I would be happy to teach whoever about ROMs and stuff. But I do have to say that I don't advocate pirating games, I just advocate you playing classics. But believe me there isn't a better feeling than a great game on a real console.

JacobTheEdit: And the first game won't necessarily be Super Mario Bros. I was just using it as an example.
Last edited by JacobTheMe at Apr 21, 2011,
BRING. IT. OOOOOOOOOOOOON, MOTHA FUCKA!

Gamer since before I could walk, competitive, and ready
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I would love to do this but my ps3, wii, and computer are 400 miles away.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, and I don't like to brag, but I was a boss at Contra.

You just inspired a Contra challenge. Except it won't be that difficult. Normal humans need to be able to complete it.

Of course I could have different "modes" for the challenges. Such as "casual" and "hardcore". And hardcore could be worth more points than casual.

Casual - Beat the first level of Contra without using the Konami Code. (100 Points)
Hardcore - Beat the first level of Contra without using the Konami Code and only using your default gun. (150 Points)
Last edited by JacobTheMe at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by MightyAri
ive heard excersize is ok ocasionally

It must be lonely under your bridge.
This seems pretty interesting, I'll see what I can do.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Most of the challenges I've done have been more lengthy, like doing FFX without using the sphere grid, going through Dragon Age using only the main character, etc.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I just think that shorter challenges would be better. That way more people would have time to do it. Not to mention that nobody wants to record themselves beating Dragon Age in under a week.

We could have "super challenges" or something sometime where you could do something lengthy and get a ton of points.
Quote by JacobTheMe
I just think that shorter challenges would be better. That way more people would have time to do it. Not to mention that nobody wants to record themselves beating Dragon Age in under a week.

We could have "super challenges" or something sometime where you could do something lengthy and get a ton of points.

Yeah that'd be annoyingly time consuming for sure.

If you're going for classic stuff like speed runs, Sonic's the way to go. There's a myriad of stuff you can fabricate for those games.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Contra challenges accepted.

I've always found "Snow Field" and "Hangar" to be the most intimidating levels. Who else agrees?
Last edited by hriday_hazarika at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by JacobTheMe

I don't think I've encountered too many people on the internet who can spell that word.

Kudos to you.
Quote by imdeth
I'm down as long as most of the games are emulatable.

Hey you

Also that ^ I'm poor and my consoles are all at home.
Quote by lolmnt
Should include Touhou.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
Should include Touhou.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
ಠ_ಠ

It'd be hilarious.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by imdeth
I'm down as long as most of the games are emulatable.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?!?
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Ichikurosaki
im down aslong as it isnt all shit games

Should include touhou right?

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Touhou is a bit easy though

Oh you.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Compared to something like Ikaruga, it really is

But Touhou is more easily obtainable.

Quote by CrossBack7
Okay then Ichi.

Ikaruga then.

Quote by CrossBack7
Page 1 of 2