Hello, nice forum.

I'm having trouble reading this bar, I can't fit everything in.

By my reckoning the mute would land on the off beat of 4, but then I can't fit the last 2 quavers in time

I've tried to show what I'm doing in the picture! Its 4/4.

I'd be very grateful if somebody could show me what I'm doing wrong!
You are counting the first quarter note as a half note (one---two---) while it's actually only one beat in length (ONE-and-). The eighth note (where you have a + underneath) actually falls on "TWO". Then the next quarter falls on "-and-". Then you will count "THREE" without playing anything, and the mute will fall on the next "-and-", then the last two eighths will fall on "FOUR-and-".

Hope this makes sense.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Last edited by Sewe Dae at Apr 21, 2011,
you've counted wrong. write 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +. don't skip some out that probably didn't help, plus the tresillo rhythm is probably throwing you off too. basically write out the beats again.
Thanks guys! I understand that now and that's actually how I play it when I listen to the song, what's throwing me off is I thought it would be written as a quaver on 2?
That second crotchet should be written as tied quavers. Just saying...

Edit: You are confused because of how the notes are grouped? Well they are grouped incorrectly, but the durations are correct.
Last edited by Jesse Clarkson at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
That second crotchet should be written as tied quavers. Just saying...

Edit: You are confused because of how the notes are grouped? Well they are grouped incorrectly, but the durations are correct.

I was confused because I thought the second crotchet should be a tied quaver, like you said.
I understand now though that the durations are correct, I was counting the first crotchet as one and a half because I was confused by the second crotchet.

Thanks for your help!