Im looking at getting a router, anyone who has one recommend me one to get (or ones to avoid)? Im in the UK if it makes it easier to recommend models or shops.

Thanks in advance
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
I've got a JCB router. Seems to work reasonably well. I got it from Focus i think.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
If you spend a decent amount of money, you'll have a decent router. Any major name brand will work. There is no need to dump $300 dollars on something that you will only use for guitar work. I think I spent $100 on mine, and it's still going after 5 guitars. I use my router to cut out bodies also... hell I use it for everything.
Quote by ohspyro89
If you spend a decent amount of money, you'll have a decent router. Any major name brand will work. There is no need to dump $300 dollars on something that you will only use for guitar work. I think I spent $100 on mine, and it's still going after 5 guitars. I use my router to cut out bodies also... hell I use it for everything.

I feel as though the bits will get dull before the router fails.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
I use a Bosch plunge router. My advice is to spend a bit of extra cash on tungsten carbide-tipped bits. They'll last longer. Don't buy the cheapest router bits cos they'll wear out quickly and you'll soon end up having to replace them.
I just use a ryobi plunge router, I think you'll find that there's not overly much difference between specs of most brand routers in the $150-$300 range, but there's definitely a few things I'd recommend you look for, like collets for 1/4" and 1/2" router bits, decent wattage and duty cycle if specified, variable speed control etc etc, but I think you'll find the main thing is buying good quality bits, they're really expensive, but your gonna be doing a lot more finish sanding if you use rubbish quality bits, and are more likely to get tear out.

Chur
Thanks for the replies. Lightblue, good tip on collet sizes; a Bosch one I had my eye on only took 1/4" bits, so was a bit limiting. Off to the local power tool shop to see what they have later today

Cant wait to start designing and building. Any excuse to buy new tools
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Quote by Gabbastard
Thanks for the replies. Lightblue, good tip on collet sizes; a Bosch one I had my eye on only took 1/4" bits, so was a bit limiting. Off to the local power tool shop to see what they have later today

Cant wait to start designing and building. Any excuse to buy new tools

Two Bosch recommendations so far, and a third from me - this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-POF-400-Watt-ACE-Router/dp/B001E4EJ6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303495008&sr=8-1. They'll built well and should last you a while, and for the quality they're not bad price-wise - Amazon was the cheapest I found them anywhere on the net when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago!

Don't worry about the 1/4" collet thing either, it will do everything you need.

As for good quality bits, go with Wealden Tool Company - http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Router_Cutters_1.html - they are decent bits.
Last edited by lostcreation333 at Apr 22, 2011,
One bit of advice regarding the Bosch. I have two and love them. I got the 1617EVS with the fixed and plunge bases. Maybe because I use them in my router table, the switch seems to get clogged with sawdust. It's not a big deal but I have taken them apart two times to clean out the saw dust. It has happened with both motors so it seems to be a design flaw.

I like the routers alot and all things considered, I am glad to take them apart.

I also have one of the big freud 3 1/2 hp routers. This is only good for router table use since it is so big.

Last bit of advice, read the reviews on Amazon. If there is a major design flaw such as the collet not holding the bit tightly, pick another router. Some of the late 90's Craftsman had this problem.

Oh - get good router bits like everyone said. A dull router bit is dangerous.
I use this old 80's 1/4" bosch router, one of these (not my pic)

Its only little but its the best router I've ever used (and I've tried some nice ones, festool, elu and the like...) . The nice thing about it is that all the parts are separate, unlike the newer ones which are all joined together in one big unwieldy case. This means that I can strip it down if I'm having problems with it, and its so much easier to change bits. Its also really light, which is nice.

So yeah, If you see one of these going, grab it.

EDIT: Its called a POF 50.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Last edited by Speckled_Hen at Apr 22, 2011,
I own a Porter-Cable plunge router, I believe.

I have also used a small Bosch and a large Bosch plunge router.

+1 to Bosch. My Porter-Cable gets the job done but I've had some issues (had the potential to be big, project-ruining issues :O ) and in the future I will be going Bosch.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
I've a makita plunge router, but I use a fixed base black & decker one too and I've another that I dont recall the name of... Ideally any router will work... I guess key things to look for are a stable plunge base that locks well but is easy to adjust when unlocked. I'd stay away from some of the cheaper ones... I ono if you have them but in Canada we have mastercraft and I've typically had nothing but trouble with most of their tools, be it a pair of pliers or something like a jointer...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust