Would putting a Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey in front of an HT-DUAL boost it to even more metal gain? Or are they only for boosting tube amps?

I tried boosting with an EQ pedal between the guitar and the HT-DUAL and the result was nothing more that adding a ton of hum.

It goes into a SS amp after that, in case that matters.
you will end up with a terrible sounding mess more than likely. in theory what you want to do could work but reality sucks. if your distortion pedal isn't making the grade then get an new distortion pedal. and of course (you know this is coming) getting a high gain tube amp might solve your distortion issue best.
people tend to think you need more gain to reach this metal sound, its not true at all. maybe its because its a ss but on my 6505+ my gains is at 6 MAX, usually around 4 and with my ts9 or ocd its got the perfect amount of gain and is very clear. adding more just makes it a huge huge mess.

to answer your question, i hear people say that you can infact boost a distortion pedal, but i have never been successful, but i only tried once.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
A booster pedal with a SS amp isn't going to do anything, except make it louder (and if the amp is cranked, just give horrbile speaker distortion). It wont do anything for the pedal either, wont give it more distortion or anything. You could buy a new distortion that has more gain, or you could run two distortion pedals, just dont over do the gain on one of them or it will sound.... bad.

A new tube amp would probably be best, but I understand that is not an option for everyone.

Booster pedals are really only good for 1: Boosting a signal in a long pedal chain, 2: boosting your volume to further overdrive a already overdriven tube amp. The 2nd option is most commonly what a TubeScreamer is used for, because it not only boosts, it also changes the sound, and gives people to option of emulating an overdriven tube amp at lower volumes for bedroom players, its not a perfect OD tone, but it gets the job done for practice.

EDIT: I should mention, by booster pedal, I mean something like a Linear Power Booster, the LPB-1. When I say booster pedal, I do not mean using another Distortion or OD as a boost, that will work with any amp.
Last edited by Wylde_Life at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by Wylde_Life
A booster pedal with a SS amp isn't going to do anything, except make it louder (and if the amp is cranked, just give horrbile speaker distortion). It wont do anything for the pedal either, wont give it more distortion or anything. You could buy a new distortion that has more gain, or you could run two distortion pedals, just dont over do the gain on one of them or it will sound.... bad.

A new tube amp would probably be best, but I understand that is not an option for everyone.

Booster pedals are really only good for 1: Boosting a signal in a long pedal chain, 2: boosting your volume to further overdrive a already overdriven tube amp. The 2nd option is most commonly what a TubeScreamer is used for, because it not only boosts, it also changes the sound, and gives people to option of emulating an overdriven tube amp at lower volumes for bedroom players, its not a perfect OD tone, but it gets the job done for practice.

I'm thinking of gettig a boost pedal. should i put it before, or after my big muff pi?
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
It is called gain stacking.

It basically introduces another clipping stage to the signal path.

Some pedals take boosts better than others.

Some pedal combinations work really well together to create interesting harmonics that wouldn't otherwise be there.

IMHO- having run a tube based effect in front of a solid state amp, I have found that it is best to have the amp set to a clean sound (no distortion), the tube effect for a mild overdrive and use a boost or dirt box with some dirt added in.

guitar (volume 50%) > dirt box/boost (more gain than volume) > tube effect (more volume than gain) > clean amp

Note that every stage of this set up has a volume control and one could assume they all have some sort of EQ ability.

Therein lies the trick of getting tone.

I say set the boost/dirt box to a more treble tone, the tube stage with more mid/bass and then control the mids with the amp.

Having your EQ pedal first the chain can also do some interesting things for your tone.
If it is just a boost pedal, it really doesn't matter, some say its better before, some say its better after, I dont really hear a difference. But truth be told, I dont really use a boost pedal, I sold both of mine. I rely on my amp for OD and my TS to push it.

For straight up distortion, my favorite sound actually came from a Delta Labs RD-1, with gain at 9, tone at 12, and level at 2. (oclock settings) and then run that into my TS9 (Brown and 808 modded) with the TS: Gain at 2oclock, tone at 9oclock, level wherever I see fit. This all running into a clean Champ 600 or a Clean Hot Rod Deluxe. The RD-1 doesnt do all that much, except for it seems to tighten up and makes a more full tone. I adjust the gain for how "heavy" the music is, but I really only play stuff as heavy as Black Sabbath, im not a high gain guy.

Have you gotten your big muff yet? You may not need anything with it at all.

EDIT: This is to Jarred.
Last edited by Wylde_Life at Apr 21, 2011,
Yes you can, I do it with my blackstar ht distx and a tube screamer. It sounds alot better, I highly recommend you try it. Just use the normal boost settings on your od, gain down, level up.
Quote by Katsock
people tend to think you need more gain to reach this metal sound, its not true at all. maybe its because its a ss but on my 6505+ my gains is at 6 MAX, usually around 4 and with my ts9 or ocd its got the perfect amount of gain and is very clear. adding more just makes it a huge huge mess.

to answer your question, i hear people say that you can infact boost a distortion pedal, but i have never been successful, but i only tried once.

Are you trying to look like a total ignoramus?

The 6505 and 6505+ are high gain amps it's about the only thing they're good for.

A Peavy 6505 is a one trick pony it happens to do that one trick really well.

EDIT:

Quote by kh2ouija
Would putting a Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey in front of an HT-DUAL boost it to even more metal gain? Or are they only for boosting tube amps?

I tried boosting with an EQ pedal between the guitar and the HT-DUAL and the result was nothing more that adding a ton of hum.

You'll never get the sound you want out of a SS amp.

You can get used 6505s used all day long for around $400. Just get a 6505 112 combo and be done with it...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by Willowthewitch
Are you trying to look like a total ignoramus?

The 6505 and 6505+ are high gain amps it's about the only thing they're good for. They're one trick ponies. They do that one trick very well but that doesn't make them more than a one trick pony.

mine works just fine for light rock to heavy metal and such...
infact live thats generally all i use it for.. i have the gain decently low on the crunch channel and throw a ts9 and get a great hard rock sound, and i generally just use the lead as solo channel to be alittle louder when its my time to shine. I really dont believe its just a one trick pony at all. no one ever says i sound metal at all at shows.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I've tried the following combinations:

Tube Screamer -> MI Audio Crunch Box: Very nice pushed sound. Nice and tight.

Tube Screamer -> ProCo Rat: Sounds awful and kind of muffled.

Tube Screamer -> Brown Sound In A Box II: Doesn't sound much different than the BSIABII on its own.

Tube Screamer -> Tube Screamer: Lots of mids, cuts a lot of bass out. It's a good sound, but a limited one.

Rat -> Rat: Like one Rat, but with more gain. Normally, when you turn the gain up on a single Rat, it gets kind of squishy sounding. But if you Run one Rat into another with both Drive knobs at noon or lower, it has the tightness of one Rat with more distortion. ProCo used to make a rackmount unit that had two Rat circuits in it so you could do this.
Quote by Baconator1228
Yes you can, I do it with my blackstar ht distx and a tube screamer. It sounds alot better, I highly recommend you try it. Just use the normal boost settings on your od, gain down, level up.

Ok, guess what, I decided to give it a shot and see for myself. But since I don't own a Tubescreamer, I used the closest thing I have: my old, retired... don't laugh... Boss Metal Zone. I put the MT2 before the HT-DUAL and set all eq knobs to neutral, distortion to 0 and volume somewhere high. The result is a shitload of extra distortion but, pleasant surprise, it's not a pile of noisy fuzz like I feared it would be. It's the HT-DUAL's distortion, only much more of it.
Lpb1 linear booster! I hate boosting pedals with tube screamers or other od's. The lpb1 will add some gain, but really won't color the sound like a ts. Find one cheap on eBay
I think people buy the ts9 BECAUSE it colors your tone a bit. Could be wrong tho
That's why I bought it . I liked it
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I do color from time to time with a ts808, but for soloing...I love a booster. My opinion
Quote by kh2ouija

Yes.

I have an ME-20, and on the blues setting the boost works best (no gain, high vol and tone)

It's a blues driver emulation. It has a crunchy sound to it. Adds a bit more attack and clarity, but it has a growling kind of mid bass, and it's not the best boost, but it's the best I have ATM. Never found to be the BD setting the clearest but it works fairly well through the DistX.

The Dist X is based on a tube pre-amp, so it can be boosted in much the same way. It's not like you'd use a high gain pedal on a normal amp's dirty channel to get the best results.
I used to run a boss oc3 on poly mode with the direct dimed into a jekyll and hyde both channels into a lpb 1. It sounded ridiculous crap ton of knob tweaking to get it to sound right. I ran it into valvestate im terrified to throw this in front of my new ampeg v-50 I havent used the lp1 on that.
Quote by Katsock

I have an HT-DUAL and I only ever have the gain at 9:00 to 12:00.
Too much gain hides shitty playing.
I can see you wanting a lot of gain if you're playing Venom or some of that shitty hardcore screamo ballsack-licking music.
By the way, Venom is the best Metal band, ever. Don't even try to argue.

I have a Boss Dual Overdrive in front of my HT-DUAL, I really don't notice any difference when it's activated and when it isn't. Just extra noise. The tone does affect it, so I use it as a treble boost mainly.
..I was watching my death.
No thread jacking intended, but would running 2 clean boosts together in front of a tube head provide a more significant boost than just one?

Say, the Visual Sound Truetone?
you need a Dual Rec

/thread
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
havent tried it haha. if i didnt already have a my lead channel dedicated to that i would probably try it/get it!

Quote by ktgmeasap
I do color from time to time with a ts808, but for soloing...I love a booster. My opinion
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify