Just started this band and we're about to play our first show as a band. We're supposed to show up at the venue 2 hours before doors open. Anyone know what we'll be doing for those 2 hours other than unloading our equipment? Are we going to get to go over how things work with the sound tech and what not or will we just find out when we go on? I've never done a gig with someone else doing the mixing so I'm kind of curious
I hate my sig
Quote by Vendetta V
well i'd say this is on a personal basis for reach venue.
i guess you'll be having a sound check and whatnot... they probably want you to show up early due to safety.. like so that you're not late or barely make it

Gotcha. I'm definitely hoping we can go over all the sound stuff with the tech cause I really don't know what all they'll be mic'ing or how loud to set my amp so he can properly mix it and whatnot
I hate my sig
Wow only two hours before the show, I've mixed shows before and I would tell the band to be there 4 hours minimum before the show in order to get the equipment set up and get it all sound checked. But yeah you will probably just be setting up and sound checking in those two hours.
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
ya most venues want this, hell i go that early so i can just chill before my show so im not rushed which = playing everything at 210bpm. they probably will have you set up, mic you, mix, etc. do not feel bad to tell the sound guy hey can you put some reverb on this. just be very un assuming but say hey my lead singer usually likes to have a lot lower high eq setting etc etc

good luck though
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
2 hours early gives time to sound check not only you, but all the bands. If every band showed up in the 30 mins before then you'd never all get checked in time. 30 mins per band is enough time normally for a small venue.

As for sound check be as nice to your sound guy as you can be by:
- keeping your amp volume as low as you can (and preferably telling him he's welcome to adjust the master volume if he wants and pointing out which it is) - it is much easier to make things sound good if it's not too loud to start with
- keeping your volume consistent - make sure if you turn OD off/on your volume doesn't die or shoot through the roof.
- don't do stuff you won't do on stage - if you're the rhythm guitarist and you don't play a solo for the whole set - then don't do a massive solo in your sound check - you're just wasting peoples time
- continuing to play through the sound check - if he says play a song - play it end to end even if you think your mic isn't on. It's very frustrating trying to level mics when the singer is just standing next to it "waiting for it to come on" and the band play about 4 bars then stop and have a chat then do an intro and stop, then another... you need to be playing for a good couple of minutes if the sound guy is going to make it sound as good as possible.

When you're not sound checking you can just hang about, chat/listen to the other bands and practice some stuff unplugged if need be and get a beer in Sometimes the sound check time is the most fun part of the gig :p
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Apr 21, 2011,
Ok sick. Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel a lot better if we're gonna get a sound check before the doors open. I thought the only sound check we would get is when we get on stage to play. Like when you go to see a band and they get on stage and go "stage left... turn it up.. more... more" and they chug on the guitars and basses and stuff
I hate my sig