K so i'm seriously considering looking at this amp, looking to spend about 3 grandish, about 2 on a head and 1 on a cab, but i saw this amp, 4 channels, midi switching and it's a 2x12, but my big beef here, is when i'm practicing with my hard rock and my melodeath band, is it going to sound much different than a 4x12, will it get muddy? I have to take like a 5 hour trip to try one of these suckers out so i don't want to waste my time.
Last edited by maowcat at Apr 21, 2011,
The Sovereign is an open back combo. Probably won't be as tight as a head with a nice cab. For metal, you'll really want closed back for the speakers.

Iirc, the Sovereign is the combo version of the Savage. Why don't you get a Savage head and a nice cab? More versatile and easier to lug around since you can just carry it in two pieces instead of dragging a ****ing heavy, flimsy combo around (god I hate it). A

And no, a 2x12 cab is actually less muddy and a lot more focused than a 4x12 (if you compare cabs of equal quality). It will however sound less "huge", but it's not really an issue. I love my Mesa 2x12, definitely sounds a lot better than a Marshall 1960A (to my ears, that is).
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
I think it'll really depend on the speakers. I'm not sure how they are stock. You're saying it's a combo, right?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
3K in total?

Dude go and buy a 2nd hand Savage/Invader head and a top end Emperor cabinet.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Eskil Rask
The Sovereign is an open back combo. Probably won't be as tight as a head with a nice cab. For metal, you'll really want closed back for the speakers.

Yeah i'm not getting an open back so i guess that cuts that amp out of the question.

Quote by Tom 1.0
3K in total?

Dude go and buy a 2nd hand Savage/Invader head and a top end Emperor cabinet.

I would like to do something like that, but i'd be financing it, and that may not be possible with some stores, especially in Canada, there is one engl dealer in my entire province, i doubt i could go down to the US to finance a head and cab. Besides wasting 3 grand on an engl head, i'm looking at a fryette sig:x, bogner uberschall and a mesa mark v, and maybe a used mesa roadster that i can get for $1300 (but i don't really like rectifers, i rented a road king for a day and it sounded no different than a dual rec, which sounds decent imo)
well you could buy used from gc, mf, ebay, craiglist/kijij or whatever its called, or even if theres an engl forum there should be users selling. just pay for shipping, some might even pay for shipping to you.
Quote by JAHellraiser
well you could buy used from gc, mf, ebay, craiglist/kijij or whatever its called, or even if theres an engl forum there should be users selling. just pay for shipping, some might even pay for shipping to you.

as i said, i'm financing which ever amp i'm buying, that means i'll be paying about %10 of the cost of the amp each month, give or take a few percent, it's so i can buy an amp now and not in a year, i probably can't buy one used unless it's from GC, which is american so i'm not sure if i can finance with them
Last edited by maowcat at Apr 21, 2011,
very well. why are you so against an open back amp though?
Quote by JAHellraiser
very well. why are you so against an open back amp though?

because i find them to not be as tight as a closed back, and for the amount of money i'm spending i don't want to just settle