alright i just read that lesson, "what chords are in what key, and why?" and with that i got all the chords in the key of C. so just to get it down i thought id try and find all the chords in D but when i got to the third note in the key (F#) i tried to get the F major chord and flatten it to an F minor. but now, even though my original question was different, i think i may have done that part wrong.

so, the question, uh since the 3rd note is F# would that mean the third chord is actually just F (or Fmaj)? or was i doing it right to begin with? i came here confused, and now ive confused myself even more

thanks in advance for any help
the 3rd note is F#. That means the 3rd chord is rooted on F#

D E F# G A B C# D
from that you pull out the root 3rd and 5th => F# A C#.
Since the A is 3 semitones above the F# => minor 3rd
The C# is 7 semitones above the C# -> perfect 5th
=> chord is F#m

EDIT: to clarify further, these is no F note in D major so it doesn't make sense to fit a chord to it, in the same way you don't try and make a C# chord in C major
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Apr 21, 2011,
Edit: ^^^ Beat me to it!

F#minor is the chord you're looking for.

D major scale:

D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#

Chords:
D: D, F#, A
Em: E, G, B
F#m: F#, A, C#
G: G, B, D
A: A, C#, E
Bm: B, D, F#
C#mb5: C#, E, G
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
oh alright, i totally spaced on that whole root thing and got the 3rd and 5th out of the F major scale and tried getting it that way instead.

thanks for the help
Quote by nikka_le200
alright i just read that lesson, "what chords are in what key, and why?" and with that i got all the chords in the key of C. so just to get it down i thought id try and find all the chords in D but when i got to the third note in the key (F#) i tried to get the F major chord and flatten it to an F minor. but now, even though my original question was different, i think i may have done that part wrong.

so, the question, uh since the 3rd note is F# would that mean the third chord is actually just F (or Fmaj)? or was i doing it right to begin with? i came here confused, and now ive confused myself even more

Rather than go chromatically -- C to D to E, etc

GO through the cycle of 5ths:

C -> G -> D -> A -> E ... etc

So -- your C major scale harmonized has no sharps or flats. The G major scale as F#, D has F# and C#, A has F# C# and G# .. etc

It is a lot easier to see how these things line up when you use the cycle of fifths and add one accidental at a time.

HTH
Quote by nikka_le200

D major scale below

D E F# G A B C#
You need an F# minor chord here because F# is root note in your chord, add the third and then the fifth
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!