I don't know much about tube circuts so i need some help. I have a carvin V3 half stack and i like the sound of it but it doesn't have as much crunch as i would like. I don't really like the sound of a digital distortion. I also have a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem that i have the same problem with. What im wondering is can i use a distortion chanel on the V3 and plug in my Twin Tube Mayhem to add extra distortion and crunck tones? Can you just add more tubes to the chain like that or will it cause a butt ton of feedback?
It'll be fine. I sometimes run the preamp of one amp into the preamp of another to add three or four gain stages and I never have a problem with feedback, so long as I don't crank it up too loud. You will get more noise, though.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
It'll be fine. I sometimes run the preamp of one amp into the preamp of another to add three or four gain stages and I never have a problem with feedback, so long as I don't crank it up too loud. You will get more noise, though.

not to thread jack, but THATS interesting! what do you use and how? or you could PM cuz im interested
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Sweet. I have a Line 6 Uber metal distortion pedal but the clarity of tubes is much greater. Would you suggest running it through the effects loop or just go guitar+pedal+amp?
I'd try it both ways, but probably it'll work better with the pedal in front. And Katsock, PM's on the way.
Ill defintaly try it. Now it that basically like if you were to crack open the amp and added more overdrive tubes to the chain? I'm interested to know exactly how it works. When you put two digital distortion pedals together you just get a lot of feedback so why would the tubes make any difference?
Yeah, that's exactly what it's like, except there are more filters between the stages.

As to the pedal thing...well, basically, a digital pedal is designed to distort any signal, so no matter what the settings, the second one is applying full distortion to a heavily distorted signal, and a lot of the time they can't handle all the overtones. The tubes are designed to go from perfectly clean into distortion smoothly, so each of them can handle any kind of input. You still want to keep the gain down so they aren't each being hit by a heavily distorted signal.

Also, if they're running hot--even if they aren't really distorted--each generates harmonics. So each gain stage adds the next even-order harmonic above the highest one it already has, making the distortion tone richer and crunchier. That's why people like Soldano so much--they're designed to build up those harmonics.

Overly involved example coming right up!

Suppose you want a certain amount of distortion...let's call it level 300. So your distortion pedal is set to give you 300 distortion, expecting an input level of between 1 and 50 (not of any real measurement, I'm making there up as I go). That means the second distortion pedal is getting hit by six times the level it's supposed to receive, and it's producing 1800 distortion. That's just wild, uncontrollable noise.

Now for tubes, with the same input. After one gain stage let's say you have a distortion level of 10 and 2nd harmonic of 10. After the second stage you have distortion of 30, 2nd harmonic of 20 and 4th harmonic of 10. After the third stage you have distortion of 90, 2nd harmonic of 30, 4th harmonic 20, and 8th harmonic of 10. Fourth stage: distortion 270, 2nd harmonic 40, 4th harmonic 30, 8th harmonic 20, 16th harmonic 10, and so on and so forth.

All those are just random numbers I just made up, and they mean nothing, but you get the picture.
Ok so instead of straight distorting the signal your adding some distortion but mainly adding more distorted overtones and therefor creating a sound of a full heavy distortion while keeping clarity with the pitches, harmonics, and overtones?
That makes sence. Thanks alot! Ill try that combionation and see if the effects loop or straight chain works better.