I'm thinking about starting to give beginner guitar lessons. How good do you think a guitarist should be in order to start giving lessons? I love to play every style of music. I'm particularly into metal and blues, but I do how knowledge in other styles.
As long as you have a good understanding of theory and you have the technical ability to accurately demonstrate things, I think you more or less have the ability to teach. However, just because you have the ability to teach doesn't mean you're ready to be a teacher. You have to make sure that you don't teach your students incorrect ways of doing things or bad habits or anything like that (anchoring, fingers flying off the fretboard, etc.). Also, you are probably mostly going to be teaching younger people (early teens or earlier) so you have to like kids or at least be able to get along with them.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.