alright, i posted something a couple hours ago but uhh heres another.

ive been playing guitar for about 3 or 4 years now and i think im finally starting to get pretty good in a technical sense. so these past few days ive been roaming around the forums trying to absorb as much information on theory as i can, but ive begun to realize i just keep running around in circles. i started with the major scale, then went to trying to learn modes (which i figured out i did waaay too early), then went to trying to learn keys and such then to chords then back to the major scale and blah blah mutha****in blah. so in this post i have one seemingly simple question for all of my fellow guitarists...

now that im making an attempt at learning theory, where should i start? and after that, what should i work on next and such?
You definitely started modes too early. Try looking up a column on UG called The Crusade. It really helped me. And just take your time with it and learn to apply everything before you move on too much
I hate my sig
Learn major scale, really learn it.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
i think ive got the major scale down but f*** it, more practicell never hurt

and that crusade thing looks alright so far, so thanks for the reference.
ill be checkin that out now...

peace
Do you understand how triads are formed, 7th chords? What each note does relevant to the root?

Or do you just know 1 or 2 major scale patterns?

I don't mean to sound rude, but there is a big difference.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
when we say learn the major scale, we don't mean the box shape. We mean the notes, the intervals, and the shapes all over the fretboard and then you can really know how to use it. Being able to really apply some basic theory is way better than memorizing a lot of modes and stuff but not understanding how to use them
I hate my sig
Quote by Venice King
Do you understand how triads are formed, 7th chords? What each note does relevant to the root?

Or do you just know 1 or 2 major scale patterns?

I don't mean to sound rude, but there is a big difference.

this +1

i recommend to start learning the major scale, minor scale and chord formation. if you don't know those then the rest will be a nightmare.
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 21, 2011,
Key signatures
Once you learn these every scale will come to you in a snap.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
yep i know triads and such. i actually knew most of what was in those crusade things, they still helped though so thanks.
but when you talk about what each note does with the root and such, are you talkin about dissonance and all that kind of stuff? if so i i have a good idea on that and if not, i probably have no clue what youre talking about
alright, when you say function what exactly is it you mean? like what kind of chords they are in/make and all that?
By function they probably mean, which scale degree functions as dominant, subdominant and leading tone; which diatonic chords belong in the tonic chord group, subdominant chord group and dominant chord group (meaning what diatonic chords share a similar function and can be used as substitutes for one another).

I've also read about first-order and second-order characteristic notes, but I don't know if they're actual or correct terms in music theory.
roaming around trying to absorb theoretical concepts is useless. if you don't apply them, not only do you not know them, but they do you no good.

yes. i mean apply EVERYTHING you learn as far as theory is concerned.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by nikka_le200
alright, i posted something a couple hours ago but uhh heres another.

ive been playing guitar for about 3 or 4 years now and i think im finally starting to get pretty good in a technical sense. so these past few days ive been roaming around the forums trying to absorb as much information on theory as i can, but ive begun to realize i just keep running around in circles. i started with the major scale, then went to trying to learn modes (which i figured out i did waaay too early), then went to trying to learn keys and such then to chords then back to the major scale and blah blah mutha****in blah. so in this post i have one seemingly simple question for all of my fellow guitarists...

now that im making an attempt at learning theory, where should i start? and after that, what should i work on next and such?

well, learning theory from scratch by piecing together random advice/opinions on a forum online generally leads one to run around in circles.

I would suggest getting a legitimate theory book and an experienced teacher if your ready for it. Use the internet as a supplement.

Also alot of people struggle with theory if they get into it prematurely. Make sure you're prepared for it. ideally, you should already have...

a repertoire of music that you can play on your instrument.
basic playing skills.
the ability to read standard notation.

Don't chase fancy words, but instead start at the very beginning and build a solid foundation. Learn to understand the concepts. 1 step at a time.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 21, 2011,
alrighty then, so to sum it all up i just need to start over and put a bit more effort into it.

thanks guys