I read a from a book and watched youtube videos on hot to adjust the truss rod. I tried to adjust it and like many people, ended up screwing it up more.

the guitar is an ibanez rg321, with a wizard 2 bolt on neck, andd fixed bridge. The neck has an upward bowing, when I put a long straight ruler on the fretboard, there was 2mm of bowing, and the G, B, and D strings buzzed on the high frets. I tried adjusting it and forgot what direction I turned it, but now the bowing on the neck is at 1mm and not the e and E string are dead on the high frets, and even minor buzz on the lower frets. the action is at around 3/32 at the 17th fret.

Im completely lost, Ive never tried this and i need help. And I need to do this myself because when I went to a guitar shop near me, they asked "whats a truss rod?"...
High fret buzz usually isn't a truss rod/neck bow issue; it's usually an action issue. I say that because the bow in the neck usually occurs more towards the middle of the neck, and problems with neck bow usually manifest in difficulty playing the lower frets. In my opinion, it's either a fret leveling issue or a saddle height issue.
Hi, I'm Peter
I think the action is pretty high, I dont understand how making it lower would eliminate the fret buzz. When I press down on the 17th fret, the string rests on the 24th fret.
Quote by bustapr
I think the action is pretty high, I dont understand how making it lower would eliminate the fret buzz. When I press down on the 17th fret, the string rests on the 24th fret.

I'm not saying make the action lower, per se. It just seems like your guitar is badly set up overall, quite frankly. Most of the bow in the neck occurs somewhere between the 12th and 3rd-5th frets. If you're bottoming out on the 17th fret, it's not a neck relief issue that can be fixed by adjusting your truss rod. It could be that your frets need to be leveled or that your string saddles need to be adjusted. Your action being high overall means that you probably have too much curve in the neck, as well.
Hi, I'm Peter
could be that you have too much relief, AND need to adjust the action at the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011