Hey all.

Since I've been thinking about customing and making own stuff.
I've also been wondering on how electronics work for like effects pedals.
And I've always wondered, what's the wire on my ibanez which is at the plate of the whammy screws, it's soldered on there and whenever I touch it or play with the whammy bar without my hands on the strings, I hear this weird crackly noise coming from it.
It is on the plate where the screws meet the springs of the whammy.
Thanks in advance.
Liampje.
Quote by Roc8995
Ground wire.

mhmm

i believe its to keep excess current out of the signal

without it you get a ton of buzzing
Quote by liampje
So does the ground wire function as some sort of resistance?
I'm just trying to learn here lol.

in terms of guitar, all you need to know is that the ground wire gets rid of extra noise.
Quote by rickyj
in terms of guitar, all you need to know is that the ground wire gets rid of extra noise.

Do you know why it does?
Quote by liampje
Do you know why it does?

it disperses the extra crap that's running through your electronics into the bridge(and since the bridge is connected to the strings, the machine heads and your hands and any other metal its connected too)

if you look the wire i connected to the back of the pot and so is the ground wire on your pickups
Do you have a soldering iron? If you do, you can experiment. Cut the wire and play for an hour and see what extra noises you hear, then when you realize that was a dumb thing to do, solder it back.
I've done some rebuilds where I forgot to ground the bridge. It sounds fine at my house, but when I take it to my son's apartment it picks up a lot of extra noise. I guess my house is electrically quieter.