Hello all.
I'm trying to learn to read electrical schemes to build my own effects pedals and stuff.
So does anyone have a good link that tells me everything I need to know with examples and tells me exactly what everything does and why its usefull there and not on another place.
Thanks in advance.
Liampje.
lrn2ladderdiagrams
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
http://faq.rayd.org/read_schematic/

Has the very basics. Pots (potentiometers), IC's, switches, jacks, and electrolytic capacitors are probably the only thing you'll need to worry about as far as orientation (connecting pins. every other device you'll see won't care which side you use).

In terms of why a component is in a certain place, it's better just to ask someone or go find a book, like the stompbox cookbook. geofex.com is probably the best place to find generalized answers about this online though.
Well it's pretty indicative on its own. I mean the lines lead to other chips or whatever and yeah, kind of self-explanatory. The only thing is that if you're dealing with really complex schemes (stuff for like computers or high-tech stuff) the lines don't always represent a ''wire'' or whatever, it could be a grouping of wires or something.

Start looking at simple TTL circuitry, fun stuff like an electronic dice, or that lie detector thing (works by testing the capacitance of your skin from your sweat). I have an awesome book at my house with tons of plans, anything from the simplest fun little things, from really complex things like an IR proximity alarm and voice changers and all sorts of signal generators.

Just start with the basics. Remember that it's not as simple as hooking up a wire to a chip and so on. You have to know the specs of the chip (look up it's datasheet). For example, a 555 timer, you need to know what prong does what. One is the power, others are for different 0 and 1 signals. I'm kind of throwing this in the air right now because it would be better to actually explain it to you in person but there's only so much to show on here. Also, I would seriously start reading up on Boolean logic (AND, NOR gates and others), it;s gonna be very important even in simple circuitry because it determines what does what and how it all works and you have to configure it.