A revised version and more informed version of a thread i made a few days ago (that irish punk ruined so no one replied -_-' )

Here's the question. Would i run into any problems if i tried to use a 200w 1x15 bass cab along with my guitar cab which is 150w 2x12. My amp head is a TSL60 (so 60w), is there anything important i need to know? Would a guitar head in this setup be 'underpowering' the cabs or something? I'm quite in the dark when it comes to this.

The link below is the cab i'm talking about, but i suppose this would apply to any similar bass cabinate? There's an ashdown one i've been looking at too.

http://www.wembleyguitarcentre.com/Catalogue/Guitar-Centre/Bass-Amps/Ampeg-Bass-Amps/Ampeg-B-115E-B-Series-1x15-200W-Cab-B115E
Hey Zoot.

I think I may have addressed this for you before but I'll try again. If the TSL has dual extension cab jacks that ran in parallel internally (common), then you could potentially run both cabs that way just make sure you match ohms and the ohm levels are the same (meaning the cabs need to be same).

If not, then you can daisy chain one cab to the next. Doing that would automatically be seen as a parallel operation from your amp head's perspective. Again, both cabs will need to have the same ohms. You'll need to subtract your total ohms though. For example: 2 - 16 ohm cabs daisy chained in this way will present an 8 ohm total load to the amp head.

There are exceptions of course but that is a pretty good rule of thumb. Watts won't matter so much as long as the head is lower than the cabs (sum of speakers). That will partially depend on what you are trying to do tonally wand what kind of speakers you have.

tl;dr: Always match. Make sure cabs are the same ohms. Forget about the watts for this exercise.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey Zoot.

I think I may have addressed this for you before but I'll try again. If the TSL has dual extension cab jacks that ran in parallel internally (common), then you could potentially run both cabs that way just make sure you match ohms and the ohm levels are the same (meaning the cabs need to be same).

If not, then you can daisy chain one cab to the next. Doing that would automatically be seen as a parallel operation from your amp head's perspective. Again, both cabs will need to have the same ohms. You'll need to subtract your total ohms though. For example: 2 - 16 ohm cabs daisy chained in this way will present an 8 ohm total load to the amp head.

There are exceptions of course but that is a pretty good rule of thumb. Watts won't matter so much as long as the head is lower than the cabs (sum of speakers). That will partially depend on what you are trying to do tonally wand what kind of speakers you have.

tl;dr: Always match. Make sure cabs are the same ohms. Forget about the watts for this exercise.

Thank you :3
Actually I am pretty sure it's the other way aroud.

Resistance in series:
R=R1+R2+R3+...+Rn

Resistance in paralel:
1/R=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3+...+1/Rn

So putting two 8 ohm cabs in series would ecuate like this:
8ohms+8ohms=16ohms

That means that you'll have to plug your cabs (if connected in series) to the 16ohm output on your amp.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Last edited by zerkein at Apr 22, 2011,