I read somewhere that is possible to damage tubes/amp if the standby is left on for too long.

Can it damage the amp? and How long should you leave standby on for max?

Reason im asking is, i always leave my amp on standby whenever im doing something else but not for very long durations. (30-40 mins maybe sometimes hour n half)

Just a quick question

Thanks.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Apr 21, 2011,
Well its just going to make your tubes die quicker, no point keeping an amp on standby for 90minutes, just turn it off and let it warm up a few minutes, will save on tubes and electricity.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by smokeysteve22
I read somewhere that is possible to damage tubes/amp if the standby is left on for too long.

Can it damage the amp? and How long should you leave standby on for max?

Reason im asking is, i always leave my amp on standby whenever im doing something else but not for very long durations. (30-40 mins maybe sometimes hour n half)

Just a quick question

Thanks.

It won't do any long term damage. All leaving it on standby will do is switch the volume on the amp off, but the heater for the valves will stay on
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
No, you're just shortening there life, but you should just turn it off for that kind of time.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
I will do from now, sometimes when im just going to go for a fag quick I forget.

The tubes in my amp are nearly dead, getting replacements next week anway!

Thanks!
Lol I once left an tube amp for 10 hours.. didn't hurt it a bit
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
leaving it on standby for long lengths of time basically gives you a very power consuming radiator with tubes that need replacing occasionally...
Quote by coolstoryangus
leaving it on standby for long lengths of time basically gives you a very power consuming radiator with tubes that need replacing occasionally...

Hahaa, thanks.
While the actual amount of tube life you'd loose leaving the amp on standby for a few hours is tiny, its better to just turn it off.