Hi pit dwellers.
Next summer (2012) I am considering moving out to Berlin (i currently live in the UK) for at least a year to get some kind of work experience in a normal job before coming back and beginning Teacher Training. I figured its the only chance i am going to get to live in another country and do something other than teaching because as soon as i start a teaching job i am pretty much stuck there until i retire. Don't get me wrong, teaching is my end goal and its something i am gonna love but while i am young i wanna do something a bit different.

By this time i will be a graduate with a BA in Music (hopefully!) and i am probably going to be looking for jobs in this field (i.e. work in recording studios/record companies/live P.A./session guitar work etc) and i was just wondering if anyone out there had any advice for me? Either if you live in Berlin or if you have done something similar to this yourself?

Ta!
Last edited by Nemesis117 at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by Nemesis117
Hi pit dwellers.
Next summer (2012) I am considering moving out to Berlin (i currently live in the UK) for at least a year to get some kind of work experience in a normal job before coming back and beginning Teacher Training. I figured its the only chance i am going to get to live in another country and do something other than teaching because as soon as i start a teaching job i am pretty much stuck there until i retire. Don't get me wrong, teaching is my end goal and its something i am gonna love but while i am young i wanna do something a bit different.

By this time i will be a graduate with a BA in Music (hopefully!) and i am probably going to be looking for jobs in this field (i.e. work in recording studios/record companies/live P.A./session guitar work etc) and i was just wondering if anyone out there had any advice for me? Either if you live in Berlin or if you have done something similar to this yourself?

Ta!

Find another career, its practically impossible to find a job in that field unless you have a fuck tonne of experience and if you do it wont even cover basic rent

Thats pretty much what my lecturer said to the whole class shortly before I left my Music BA course
I know, hense teacher training.
I only want this as a temporary thing to cover cost of living over there. Any work i get is good experience!
if you want to make it as a musician America's the place to be dawg. what we lack in appreciation for the arts we more than make up for in our ability to feed ourselves for a whole day on $10 or less.

imagine my shock in europe when I was charged for water and at one point charged to piss. i had to jump a turnstile just to drain the snake.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
if you want to make it as a musician America's the place to be dawg. what we lack in appreciation for the arts we more than make up for in our ability to feed ourselves for a whole day on $10 or less.

imagine my shock in europe when I was charged for water and at one point charged to piss. i had to jump a turnstile just to drain the snake.

This might be a better bet. I envy you for even being able to move to Berlin, but the last time I was there it wasn't exactly the cheapest place. Go for it if you're really into moving to the Continent, but if this is solely employment-driven, the U.S. isn't a bad option.
America would be great but it isn't really an option. Its too far away. I understand about paying for toilets etc but hey man its europe, i am used to it. Strange, it just goes to show the culture difference I think Berlin is my best option as Germany as a whole is pretty economically solid and Berlin is one of the cheapest places to live. Its also a pretty big metropolitan, cultural hub and the arts scene is huge there.

@primus fan, its not really about "making it as a musician", all i need is a job. I am very versatile person and can enjoy anything really. Work in that area would be ideal but hey its only a year i dont mind grouch work as long as i can pay rent! I would be moving out there with my girlfriend too so thats half the rent sorted!
My sister was living in Germany last year. She was able to get a part time job teaching english pretty easily... in fact, she wasn't even looking for a job. She just got talking to a teacher at a wine festival... The previous year she lived in Japan teaching english. I get that you dont want to get a real job yet, but you could travel teaching english and gaining teaching experience (even if its not in music). Enjoy your youth. Spread your wings!
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Ah yes i had seen some stuff about TEFL jobs already and it would be pretty cool. That is kinda my backup option as i wanted to try something different to teaching. Thank you though! Did she find it easy starting up there?