Well. It's been 2 years playing electric guitar. And now and then it happens.

Sometimes when I make a lot of bends on another guitars than not mine, with thicker and harder strings, well, anything that requires me to bend harder, the meat and the nail from one of my playing thingers get separated.

It freaking SUCKS. It HURTS BADLY. I CAN'T PLAY GUITAR FOR LIKE 3 DAYS UNTIL THEY HEAL TOGETHER AGAIN.

Ultimate guitar, what should I do? Any solutions? A product, a tip, anything to make the meat under my nails anything like... normally strong? I wanna play for 3 hours on any guitar without any problem

Thanks for the attention,

Sparkz

PS: Sometimes it happens without using specifically bends... I don't think I'm bending incorrectly. And it only separates a little bit. Not the whole meat from the nail. Sorry if I've explained myself wrong. It is barely visible. But it hurts as hell.
Last edited by SparkzPT at Apr 21, 2011,
I dont think you are bending correctly. You might be fretting the strings to hard.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
If your finger and nail seperates again, glue it back on with superglue. fill in the gap, hold together and hey-presto, new finger.
Well sometimes it happens without using specifically bends... I don't think I'm bending incorrectly.

Not gonna cut my thingers or going to glue them
sounds gross and painful, and more like a medical thing than typical guitar playing pain. probably be better off going to the doctors than asking UG for help on this one :L
Well, it only separates a little bit. Not the whole meat from the nail. Sorry if I've explained myself wrong. It is barely visible. But it hurts as hell.
Quote by rickyj
i giggled every time i saw the word meat.

Well, here in portugal, meat and flesh mean the same thing
You could buy some vitamin e (i think) it's supposed to strengthen your nails and also give you luxurious hair =D
you're doing something wrong, i can't say specifically what but theres something wrong in your technique if this is a consistent problem. you should be using the upper pad of your finger not the very tip right by the nail (actually i believe the correct placing is where the pad and tip meet) once you have the finger placement down properly try using another finger to reinforce the bend.

the only other suggestion i can make is to trim your nails, when i first started i didn't really trim my nails and the strings would definitely catch on them. if your nails are too long you cant play properly. now as it is, if i put my finger on the fretboard and feel any nail touching i get rid of it.
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 21, 2011,
don't let the string get between your nail and your skin?
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
But the thing is, I don't let the string get inside my nail. I use the very flesh part of the finger. And I use the fingers to reinforce the bend everytime I can... It's really strange :S Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but the fingers shouldn't be injured!
^ it would be beneficial if you could post pics or video as example, the only other thing i can really suggest would be to watch some videos of the "classics" (vai/satch/gilbert/becker/etc) and see what it is that they're doing and you're not. im guessing something is wrong somewhere in the mechanics of either your hand or your guitar. my last questions would be, are the strings real high up? do they require a lot of pressure to press down?
I'll try to when I get home. Well, the strings are decently down, low action I think. I don't need a lot of strenght to play ON MY GUITAR. This sometimes happens with my guitar but mostly happens with other guitars.
Sounds really uncomfortable lol. you must be bending cheese wire. Lol

Surely it shouldn't rip if you do get the string between the nail and flesh tho? Ive never had that.
I got that too, and I know exactly what you are talking about. For me, the nail would "heal" in a few days, but the meat that was separated was still separated from the nail, but it just doesn't hurt anymore. It got to a point were the meat wouldn't separate from the nail anymore, so I don't really have this problem anymore. When your fingers heal, does the nail reattach to the meat?
A few tips...

Don't chew your nails.
Don't trim them too short.
Keep your finger skin dry. Moist skin shreds easy.
Use super glue as a reactive solution if they look like separation is coming.

And you might try a different angle of incidence to the fretboard when bending. If you have a very vertical angle of incidence (finger is mostly perpendicular to fretboard), then it might be tearing more when you bend. Try getting a lower angle, coming in flatter with your fingetips. You'll end up bending multiple strings at the same time, but that's ok as long as your picking hits the right string(s).

Also, don't be afraid of using multiple fingers to bend. I play a lot of blues and classic rock (always in E std), and frequently bend with index, middle AND ring when bending a note originally fretted with the ring finger. It distributes the pressure loading of the string across 3 fingers instead of just one, effectively cutting the force tearing at your "meat" into a third of what it was.
So, let me get this straight.....

When you bend a string on a guitar, every now and then, your finger nail will separate from your finger?

I've never heard of that happening, it reminds me of the movie "Fly" when the guy is changing into a fly and his finger nails keep coming off.

Your supposed to be using the front pad of your finger, and if your string gauges are that thick, get lighter gauge strings, and eat more selenium, that'll help strengthen your finger nails. You can get a decent amount of selenium from Brazil nuts.
Quote by zincabopataurio
I got that too, and I know exactly what you are talking about. For me, the nail would "heal" in a few days, but the meat that was separated was still separated from the nail, but it just doesn't hurt anymore. It got to a point were the meat wouldn't separate from the nail anymore, so I don't really have this problem anymore. When your fingers heal, does the nail reattach to the meat?

Yeah, the meat reattatches to the nail, but sometimes, it doesn't completely... even though it ends by reattatching perfectly. For how long do you play guitar? I wish I could reach that point that it won't happen to me anymore...

Quote by cheapr2keepr
A few tips...

Don't chew your nails.
Don't trim them too short.
Keep your finger skin dry. Moist skin shreds easy.
Use super glue as a reactive solution if they look like separation is coming.

And you might try a different angle of incidence to the fretboard when bending. If you have a very vertical angle of incidence (finger is mostly perpendicular to fretboard), then it might be tearing more when you bend. Try getting a lower angle, coming in flatter with your fingetips. You'll end up bending multiple strings at the same time, but that's ok as long as your picking hits the right string(s).

Also, don't be afraid of using multiple fingers to bend. I play a lot of blues and classic rock (always in E std), and frequently bend with index, middle AND ring when bending a note originally fretted with the ring finger. It distributes the pressure loading of the string across 3 fingers instead of just one, effectively cutting the force tearing at your "meat" into a third of what it was.

Thanks for the answer! I don't chew my nails. I try to not trim my nails too short. And I don't sweat from my hands. And wouldn't using superglue in my finer be like... dangerous? Thanks for the tips, and I'll definitely check my bending technique. And usually I use as much fingers I can in order to help the bending finger.
Quote by SparkzPT
Yeah, the meat reattatches to the nail, but sometimes, it doesn't completely... even though it ends by reattatching perfectly. For how long do you play guitar? I wish I could reach that point that it won't happen to me anymore...

oh I see, I don't want to recommend anything that might harm you and your fingers though. It happened a lot to me actually, you just have to keep on playing until it stops, because after a while when your fingers get really hard from callouses, it'll go away or happen less often.