So I recently purchased a Gibson SG (and I'm very satisfied with it), but one of my friends once told me that the SG was nicknamed "Scrap Guitar" due to its poor construction. Is this true, or is my friend just trolling? I do love the guitar so I have a feeling my friend is just jealous. If anyone can shed any light on ths mystery I'd be very grateful!
I dont think so..... the sg is just a double cut away les paul, pretty sure it had les paul on the truss rod cover on the earliest models
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
It was supposed to be Gibson Les Paul Solid Guitar (because Les Pauls were sometimes chambered), but Les didn't want to be involved with it since he didn't have a part in creating it. Thus, the Les Paul got removed, and it just became 'SG'.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
He be trollin.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by Reisgar42
It was supposed to be Gibson Les Paul Solid Guitar (because Les Pauls were sometimes chambered), but Les didn't want to be involved with it since he didn't have a part in creating it. Thus, the Les Paul got removed, and it just became 'SG'.

I heard that he actually liked it but didn't want his name on it because he was getting divorced and didn't want his wife to get any money from the sg.
It stands for Solid Guitar. thats it.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

I always though it was the Shitty Gibson...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
It's Satan's Guitar dude. Thus the horns. :p
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
It was originally named the les paul solid guitar as previously stated.

Les Paul did not like the change in design at all, and demanded his name be taken off. Thus, the Solid guitar or SG remained.
Quote by Reisgar42

This is only partially correct.SG= Solid Guitar. Back in the early 60's Gibson chambered NOTHING. Go back to the books and read some history and absorb the correct facts.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Haha, thanks for helping me out on this. I've been trying to find anything of this on the net, but i have had no success. Appreciate the help!
Quote by Reisgar42

Gibson weren't being weight relieved until the late 80's-early 90's. Chambering began in 2006 or so, so what you've just said is crap. Mary Ford who was Les Paul's wife did however have a couple of guitars that had a form of chambering as such due to the fact she is obviously woman and struggled to cope with the weight.

Les Paul did not particularly approve of the design and was also part-way through a divorce so by removing the deal he had to give away less money. Surplus of the Les Paul TRC was used until around early-mid 1963 on Gibson SGs.

The Les Paul was reintroduced in 1968 in the form of the Les Paul Custom and the Les Paul Deluxe after being discontinued in 1960 (except for some very rare exceptional cases where models were produced in 1961)

The Les Paul SG was actually originally produced in very, very late 1960, not 1961 as many documents will wrongly tell you. The Les Paul special continued production into early 1961, and there are very few examples of single cut Les Paul Customs from this year as well.

The original model to bear the SG name was the SG Special

/Histroy Lesson/Rant
Quote by Bhaok
This is only partially correct.SG= Solid Guitar. Back in the early 60's Gibson chambered NOTHING. Go back to the books and read some history and absorb the correct facts.

I have six guitar history books on the table next to me right now and I've read them. I made a mistake about the timeline, don't just call me an idiot. Besides, each source I've read has a different origin story about every guitar ever made (was the Les Paul or the Telecaster the first guitar ever built? You'll find people who will argue to death on both sides).

Go back to elementary school and learn how to behave around the other kids.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.