No, there are some small improvements
20 11%
No, the world is a much better place now
30 17%
OREUIHWOWIURGHOWEIHG:OWIRHGOWI
33 19%
Voters: 176.
Page 1 of 3
Has the world, as a whole, gotten worse to reside in over time? Morally, environmentally, politically, socially, or in any other way you want to mention?

Poll coming.

inb4 all non-serious answers from people who think they're clever.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Environmentally, yeah. You can't say that the environment hasn't changed the last 100 years or so. There's been a huge loss of species and eco-systems that we haven't had before (atleast occuring like this). Then there's global warming which I'm not going into right now...

Otherwise I'd say we're doing "better than before", but that's not saying much.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Apr 21, 2011,
No. The world is always more or less equally shit/wonderful (depending on your outlook on life).

There have always been triumphs and disasters. There has always been famine and greed. We only hear idealised stories about the past, whereas we witness today's bad news first-hand, making it seem like the world today is worse than it was in the past.

Both good and bad things always happen, and always will happen. Deal with it.
Who am I to care? I live in the present. What I live is the normal to me; not better or worse than anything I've experience.
No, it's just that as media gets faster and more widespread we know about more of the bad things.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by J Mud
Who am I to care? I live in the present. What I live is the normal to me; not better or worse than anything I've experience.

Whether anybody will admit it, this is the human mentality. We're selfish people. Which is why the only change here is environmental, because it's cumulative.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
The world is a far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far better place in modern times than in the past. War, disease, famine, hatred, genocide, tyranny, oppression, ignorance, and every other bad thing you can think of were much more widespread in the past than today. The only thing that's worse nowadays is the environment.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Quote by StewieSwan
Anyone who says yes is an idiot.

Anyone that says no is ignorant.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by StewieSwan
Anyone who says yes is an idiot.

Anyone that makes a generalising statement without backing it with at least an opinion is also of questionable intellectual character.
there's no dinosaurs anymore, but other than that it's no better or worse, just different.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Dunno, I think it was better in the days of Romans and Greece n Egypt and all that. But on the other hand, we have all this technology that makes us life easier yet the environment sucks and we have other things that are worse.

Wartime is always the worst time on the planet, so I guess it got slightly better for us but atm it must really suck if you're living in Afghanistan or one of those other war countries ;/
Quote by teachmeviolence
The world is a far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far better place in modern times than in the past. War, disease, famine, hatred, genocide, tyranny, oppression, ignorance, and every other bad thing you can think of were much more widespread in the past than today. The only thing that's worse nowadays is the environment.

Have you never heard of the Bloodlands of WWII, or the Khmer Rouge, or the Sudanese civil war?

Or AIDS?

Or the constant violence in the Middle East?

Or racism in modern schools, workplaces, and homes?

Or of all the dictators and totalitarian states currently in power?

Quote by TimTheWizard
Dunno, I think it was better in the days of Romans and Greece n Egypt and all that. But on the other hand, we have all this technology that makes us life easier yet the environment sucks and we have other things that are worse.

Have you studied the history of those places? Famine, disease, very little in the way of human rights or standardized punishment, terrible living conditions, terrible diets for the majority of the population...

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Last edited by Beautiful at Apr 21, 2011,
Since when?

1950s? People were overall nicer then, but people are a bit more open about themselves, for instance, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. Talking to my grandmother, I relized that people from that era are very close-minded and secretive. So I think it's better that the world is the way it is.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
the same. we just have more technology now.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
It depends mostly on how you perceive it everything.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I once wore that shirt and it got me so many bitches my penis got a rash from gropage.
Quote by Beautiful
Have you never heard of the Bloodlands of WWII, or the Khmer Rouge, or the Sudanese civil war?

Or AIDS?

Or the constant violence in the Middle East?

Or racism in modern schools, workplaces, and homes?

Or of all the dictators and totalitarian states currently in power?

Have you studied the history of those places? Famine, disease, very little in the way of human rights or standardized punishment, terrible living conditions, terrible diets for the majority of the population...

nothing's changed.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I demand an option made for, 'The world will become a better place when people start dying in larger numbers than those being created.' That's my 2 cents worth on the subject so far.
Quote by laid-to-waste
nothing's changed.

That's what I voted, and was the point of my post.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Våd Hamster
Anyone that makes a generalising statement without backing it with at least an opinion is also of questionable intellectual character.

Alright then.

^mortality rate
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Apr 21, 2011,
100 years ago a simple bacterial infection was a death sentence.
Think about going to the dentist.
Mass transportation sank or derailed on a regular basis killing thousands every year.
10 miles away was a days travel.
Cancer killed you 100%
Communication took weeks for most people.
Food born illness killed thousands.
Hurricanes just showed up.
So did tornadoes.
Entertainment options included watching grass grow and pain dry.
I could do this for a while.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by StewieSwan
Alright then.

So your only measure of how good the world is is its total population and life expectancy? What about quality of life?

Also, the life expectancy charts include things like wars, infant mortality, and disease, and don't accurately represent an "average" lifespan; for instance, in ancient Rome, the "life expectancy" was around 34; but the actual average lifespan, when removing the inordinately high infant mortality rate, was around 60.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Beautiful
So your only measure of how good the world is is its total population and life expectancy? What about quality of life?

Also, the life expectancy charts include things like wars, infant mortality, and disease, and don't accurately represent an "average" lifespan; for instance, in ancient Rome, the "life expectancy" was around 34; but the actual average lifespan, when removing the inordinately high infant mortality rate, was around 60.

Although it's not the only indicator, I'd say that life expectancy is a pretty good measure of the overall quality of life, when you consider the things that contribute to making people live longer.
Quote by Beautiful

Assuming you're not a slave, plebeian, or some other lower/disposable social caste.
Better in some regards, worse in others. There's gonna be a constant trade off.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well, at least we don't eat babies anymore.
Say goodnight to the world...
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. "

TURBO BASS get.
Last.fm My Original Musics
Quote by StewieSwan
Assuming you're not a slave, plebeian, or some other lower/disposable social caste.

I'd much rather be a Roman house slave than a Sudanese citizen.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Tazeyo
Well, at least we don't eat babies anymore.

Says who?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Beautiful
I'd much rather be a Roman house slave than a Sudanese citizen.

I'd rather be a modern Sudanese citizen than an ancient one.
I think the world has OREUIHWOWIURGHOWEIHG:OWIRHGOWI over time.

Also, boobies
Quote by maidenrulz19
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
I'd say the same but in different places. Certain aspects are worse and certain are better. It's all opinion really. Some people might find the advancement of technology a blessing and others find it a curse.
Depends on what kind of time frame you're considering. If you mean the last 20 years. Maybe it's had its ups and downs.

If you mean over thousand and thousands of years, yes, I think it's significantly better.
In some ways it's getting better, in other ways it's getting worse.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
The environment thing has gotten worse since the industrial revolution - obviously still needs way more work though - new technologies, new challenges, etc,etc.

Besides that, it's pretty much gotten better.
Scientific and medical breakthroughs have made living so much better in our 'glorious' western civilization...but as a large amount of humans are just arseholes it's still the same as it always was.
Page 1 of 3