SO I was looking for a thread to discuss proper techniques for screaming, but the sticky'd thread is full of extreme metal elitists, and I'm really more interested in learning the proper technique for a hardcore style scream. I have a basic idea of how to do it, and friends of mine who listen to the same kind of music said I can do it well, but I really want to make sure I have a good technique, as I'd like my vocal chords to work when I'm 40. I'd really like to be able to have an open discussion about proper screaming technique for hardcore styles, which is just not possible in the sticky thread - all they talk about are growls, shrieks, and rasps, and, while the title has 'screaming' in it, there is absolutely no talk about screaming.
inhales are (imo) easiest to control and i feel i can always get the biggest/longest sound as apposed to inhales.

I had a vocal lesson from the vocalist of tesseract and i have more or less the same technique as him, breath from the stomach, learn to make the biggest sound out of the smallest amount of air by pushing air our with your abs whilst trying keeping you wind pipe closed and allowing a small amount of growl to your voice. (sorry about the vague term but by growl i mean the difference between shouting and screaming if you get what i mean)

most of the tone and power of the scream should come from the lungs because over doing the 'growl' is what ****s up your voice
^ i wouldnt recommend this even though the vocalist from tesseract does it. the one thing i've learned from taking voice lessons is that any closing up of the throat can damage your vox over time even if its "just a little" if you had a tiny abraision on your finger from playing guitar EVERY TIME YOU PLAYED imagine how banged up your finger would be in a year... now 5 years... now 10 years.. you got a voicebox yet?

it comes from down in your gut, if you ever feel any pain then you're doing it wrong. its hard to explain but you basically need to be incredibly relaxed in your upper body to do it properly and loud (and have excellent diaphragm control)
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 21, 2011,
so relaxed above the diaphragm, does that mean the diaphragm is tensed?
^ no more so than when singing. the sound should feel like its coming from down in your gut kinda or a better approximation might be further down the throat, not up in your throat like when singing. its really hard to explain unfortunately :/
Quote by hornet224
which is just not possible in the sticky thread - all they talk about are growls, shrieks, and rasps, and, while the title has 'screaming' in it, there is absolutely no talk about screaming.

Well, it IS the only screaming thread and is stickied for a reason.

If people just don't know about hardcore screaming and don't answer, that's one thing, but then again, if they don't know, then they wouldn't answer here either.

If people there are being douchebags because they just don't want to talk about it, then report the offensive posts and mods will take care of this.

I don't know why, but I'm not locking this up right away. If you can convince me that we need two screaming threads, then...

...24 hours....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
inhales are (imo) easiest to control and i feel i can always get the biggest/longest sound as apposed to inhales.

Inhales make me feel like I'm going to throw up, so I never even bother with them.

Concerning why this thread shouldn't be locked up:
The guy who wrote the sticky thread only talks about more extreme vocal techniques himself, and, from there, the entire thread stemmed out to include only those techniques (he also refers to several styles, such as that used by Randy Blythe as complete crap - not a very open-minded place to go, especially if one wishes to talk about a genre which is generally thrown down by the metal scene). From searching through pages of posts for even a hint of the proper technique for hardcore screaming, I just would not feel comfortable making a post about it in that thread, and I'm sure many people would concur.
Quote by rocklee1431
Wow, these all suck. Except for the Moth Whisperer over there.

Quote by VanTheKraut
If you voted anything other this, you're wrong and a queer and I personally challenge every last one of you to pistols at dawn.
See pg. 85 post #1688 and forward.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26288730&highlight=screaming#post26288730

If people are being harassed, it should be reported. We made the "anti-snob" agreement a while back.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

It is because of this that I am opening this faq to all of the metal forum goers who have knowledge of death/black growls/gutturals/shrieks and thrash vocals.

From the very first page of "The Only Screaming/Growling Thread." This thread was clearly aimed at metal vocalists, and mentions nothing in the way of hardcore vocals.
Quote by rocklee1431
Wow, these all suck. Except for the Moth Whisperer over there.

Quote by VanTheKraut
If you voted anything other this, you're wrong and a queer and I personally challenge every last one of you to pistols at dawn.
But the same person who started the thread says, in the post just a couple below the one I linked to just above, the following:

"This thread started in the metal forum as "The Growling Thread". I stand by my opinion that fry doesn't sound very good (even in your example of LoG Ghast) but since the thread has been moved and I'm not nearly as active anymore you guys can do as you please with it."

CT

Quote by z4twenny
^ i wouldnt recommend this even though the vocalist from tesseract does it. the one thing i've learned from taking voice lessons is that any closing up of the throat can damage your vox over time even if its "just a little" if you had a tiny abraision on your finger from playing guitar EVERY TIME YOU PLAYED imagine how banged up your finger would be in a year... now 5 years... now 10 years.. you got a voicebox yet?

it comes from down in your gut, if you ever feel any pain then you're doing it wrong. its hard to explain but you basically need to be incredibly relaxed in your upper body to do it properly and loud (and have excellent diaphragm control)

Although I completely see the merit in this statement, and generally agree, I have to take slight issue. You do get abrasions everytime you play, they are just extremely small. The body makes up for this by building calluses. You don't want this to happen to your vocal cords but it wont with proper rest between performances and practice.

I mean, we have guys (and gals) that have been screaming for literally over a decade with nigh an issue and can still sing as pretty as ever. The biggest examples of this that I know (and because I got into metal through metalcore) are Phil Labonte and Howard Jones.

I'm not saying that what z4twenty said is wrong. Far from it! I just think that with a little preparation (proper training, water, plenty of sleep, vocal rests), most if not all the damage can be mitigated.

/book

edit: and CT, I think the biggest problem with hardcore guys seeking help in the screaming/growling thread is that hardly any of us do it. I for one don't want to give advice on something I know little about.
The Hardcore guys I have met and listened to mostly just do a variation of a bark with little technique. I don't know if this is standard but these kids are screwing themselves up badly.

double edit: The screaming thread really doesn't have as many metal elitists as you think. You may be surprised hornet. Just because our eyes glow and we sweat blood doesn't mean we won't try to help. Hardcore vocals are discussed, just infrequently, so I truly doubt you looked through all 1844 posts. Come on over and Cheers!
Last edited by merriman44 at Apr 23, 2011,
Plenty of people come to ask us about fry, and there really is no 'elitism' in there anymore. Like the above poster said, theres only one or two that actually do fry.

Theres maybe 4 or 5 regulars that visit that thread and each specalizes in their own particular area. Merriman kinda does some fry I think, ask him in the thread.

I'm godawful at fry so I tend not to reply to people who ask about fry.

----------------

As for alot of 'hardcore' bands, theres not alot of technique in it. Screaming one or two lines a song won't really hurt your voice if you do it wrong, so they just kinda push it out while doing the 'crackle fry' sound you can make and it comes out as a scream.

95% of the screamers have never had a 'lesson' or anything. They just try to imitate it and go for it.

People greaatttlllyy over exaggerate vocal damage. It's moderately hard to do unless you're a total dumbass about it. The reason most screamers can still scream is because they've figured out the right way.

If it hurts you, you do it a different way, until the scream stops hurting you or making your hoarse.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Apr 23, 2011,