What do you guys think of this video of learning the Fretboard? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzB2_O8GGM&feature=related I didn't make it, but I've been trying to approach this in the best way necessary, and this seems like a pretty good Method, instead of learning each individual string, one by one..

I already know Chords like the back of my hand, barring is actually becoming easier and easier, still a little buzz every now and again, but I've got it down pretty good.

I think if I learn all the notes on the Board, I can get scales down a lot easier, like on a Piano.

Thoughts? :]

Edit; Also, this method is working for me right now, but I was wondering, if I learn this by heart, and get the Fretboard memorized, would I eventually be able to locate each note, without needing the little "Dots" on the Fretboard to guide me? I seem to look at them, and use them as a guide right now.. But I'm assuming it'll be just like anything else, once it's burned into the brain, it'll just come easily, with no need to even look? :]
Last edited by Osciller at Apr 21, 2011,
I was wondering the same thing! I've been taking it slowly, so I'm two weeks in, with 4 notes down. I've seen other fretboard learning videos and they say basically the same thing so I'm guessing it works?
You might want to look into some good old music theory. Look into chord theory, but thats not a bad method.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
You might want to look into some good old music theory. Look into chord theory, but thats not a bad method.

Well, I know a bit about theory, just this whole Fretboard thing.. I can get to whatever note I want if I go up the Fretboard, through each note, but I want to be able to visualize it, like the Piano.. To where I can instantly go to whatever I want..

I can play scales on Piano like butter and bread, I just don't put as much effort into it.

If only I knew all the notes on the Guitar, I'd be all set, to do everything else!

So would this method be a good way to get started, or should I look elsewhere?

I'm not super worried about theory in general, I'm pretty up on that, on a basic level, but that's a forever learning kind of thing.. You can never learn too much theory, from the way I see it
Last edited by Osciller at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by Osciller
What do you guys think of this video of learning the Fretboard? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzB2_O8GGM&feature=related I didn't make it, but I've been trying to approach this in the best way necessary, and this seems like a pretty good Method, instead of learning each individual string, one by one..

There's a lot of different approaches to memorizing the fretboard. I don't think anyone has the magic answer... whatever way works best for you is great.
It all comes down to just burning those notes into your brain. If you stick to a method that gives you results... you will eventually have the complete fretboard memorized. Only a matter of time

Quote by Osciller
Edit; Also, this method is working for me right now, but I was wondering, if I learn this by heart, and get the Fretboard memorized, would I eventually be able to locate each note, without needing the little "Dots" on the Fretboard to guide me? I seem to look at them, and use them as a guide right now.. But I'm assuming it'll be just like anything else, once it's burned into the brain, it'll just come easily, with no need to even look? :]

knowing what notes are where, does not eliminate the need to ever look down. You would have to work at that.
Think of instruments do not have frets or dots... those people are forced to find notes by ear right from the start. No reason you cannot do the same if you practice that way.

But knowing how the neck lays out... and being able to have your hands in perfect position without ever looking - that's 2 different things.
Quote by cringer
There's a lot of different approaches to memorizing the fretboard. I don't think anyone has the magic answer... whatever way works best for you is great.
It all comes down to just burning those notes into your brain. If you stick to a method that gives you results... you will eventually have the complete fretboard memorized. Only a matter of time

knowing what notes are where, does not eliminate the need to ever look down. You would have to work at that.
Think of instruments do not have frets or dots... those people are forced to find notes by ear right from the start. No reason you cannot do the same if you practice that way.

But knowing how the neck lays out... and being able to have your hands in perfect position without ever looking - that's 2 different things.

Thank you very much, this is the answer I was looking for :]

Yeah, I didn't really think of those instruments..

I guess it's something that just comes with a lot of practice, and memorization :]

Thank you!