For the record, whilie I don't have one, I don't think that Spiders are as bad as everyone on this website apparently does. But a friend of mine has had one for about five years. About 2 years ago, it did this thing where it would overheat. I just want to know if thats common or not.
Also, another friend of mine's Vypyr freezes. He said that they do that and a nother friend says his does the same thing. Is that common as well?
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
wouldnt that defeat the purpose of even making an amp for someone to maybe use on a stage? Let me rephrase that, BUYING an amp that might do that? Wouldnt you research a product before buying it?
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
If people research amps they will find out that Spiders are not known for being reliable gig worthy amps and the Vypyrs 'freezing up' is pretty well known.

Generally speaking both Line 6 and Peavey make great products that are well built and very much road worthy. The Spider and Vypyrs however, are more or less practice amps.
The Spider's and Vypyrs are more like practice amps as suggested. I have an older Spider that has served me well and I still own it, gigged it a couple times with no issues. A lot has to do with how you care for gear. Just because I never had a single issue with my Spider doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I can't really speak much for the Vypyrs except that I simply don't care for them. I'm sure a lot has to do with starting on a Spider so I bet I'm biased. Not that Vypyrs are bad though. Only thing is that I did have one freeze in a shop. Sure it's a pain but I view them more as practice amps (even the Spiders, despite having gigged one) so it wasn't that big of a deal.
fact of the matter is, modeling amps suck. no matter what kind you get, if its digital ur gonna have issues with it. modeling amps are wannabes. all they do is try and be something they arent. i had a viper for about 6 months before i realized how awful of a decision it was to buy one. ya they can be cool to play with all the effects, but once you realize that most of the things on the amp arent necessary, you'll come to ur senses and get a legitimate amp.

modeling amps have awful tone when they get turned up, thats just the way it is. either find a used marshall mg that is a few years old (this is before the cheaper marshall solid states started to suck, i had an mg250dfx and loved it) or find a nice, reasonably priced tube amp. i have a vht special 6 ultra (about $340 usd) and an mxr fullbore ($99 sd) and those will make just about any tone i want. less than $500 and u can have a rig that will have good tone, not break up at higher volumes, and still sounds good at bedroom levels.

vht is hard to find, so for an alternative, the blackstar ht-5 is a very similar amp.

always go tube whenever possible. best tone you can get is from a nice tube amp
Quote by andrerist
fact of the matter is, modeling amps suck. no matter what kind you get, if its digital ur gonna have issues with it. modeling amps are wannabes. all they do is try and be something they arent. i had a viper for about 6 months before i realized how awful of a decision it was to buy one. ya they can be cool to play with all the effects, but once you realize that most of the things on the amp arent necessary, you'll come to ur senses and get a legitimate amp.

modeling amps have awful tone when they get turned up, thats just the way it is. either find a used marshall mg that is a few years old (this is before the cheaper marshall solid states started to suck, i had an mg250dfx and loved it) or find a nice, reasonably priced tube amp. i have a vht special 6 ultra (about $340 usd) and an mxr fullbore ($99 sd) and those will make just about any tone i want. less than $500 and u can have a rig that will have good tone, not break up at higher volumes, and still sounds good at bedroom levels.

vht is hard to find, so for an alternative, the blackstar ht-5 is a very similar amp.

always go tube whenever possible. best tone you can get is from a nice tube amp

Dude. What are you one about. Do you feel you need to continually get this off your chest until it is all out of your system? You keep dissing modeling amps and telling people to look for used MGs. IMO the MG and MA have horrid tone. I'm not the greatest guitar player but I just cranked out like 7 clips off my Vypyr 60 that I just got and so far just about everything I've tried sounds good to me. I have not even had a chance to tweak anything yet.

But - it is what it is. Vypyrs are practice amps. If you want to claim that the all tube real deal original amp that the Vypyr models is superior - I'll buy that.

Lastly, are your trying to tell us that the Vetta, Flextone, Spider Valve, Vypyr 60, AxeFx, Pods, etc all suck?

really?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Dude. What are you one about. Do you feel you need to continually get this off your chest until it is all out of your system? You keep dissing modeling amps and telling people to look for used MGs. IMO the MG and MA have horrid tone. I'm not the greatest guitar player but I just cranked out like 7 clips off my Vypyr 60 that I just got and so far just about everything I've tried sounds good to me. I have not even had a chance to tweak anything yet.

But - it is what it is. Vypyrs are practice amps. If you want to claim that the all tube real deal original amp that the Vypyr models is superior - I'll buy that.

Lastly, are your trying to tell us that the Vetta, Flextone, Spider Valve, Vypyr 60, AxeFx, Pods, etc all suck?

really?

i realize i go on about it alot, but one way or another, a modeling amp is never going to give you the tone of an all tube amp. granted, i am biased becuz i had nothing but issues with my vypyr 75 and i have never found a tone on a line 6 amp that i cared for. peavey makes great amps, and for what it is, the vypyr is a good modeling amp and i would by it over a line 6 any day. but, when it comes down to playing a gig or anything like that, the tone that a player may really be looking for is going to be pretty damn tough to find on a modeling amp. they may be able to come close, or get lucky and like some of the things that it models. but in the end, it is doing just that. it is a digital recreation of other amps and will never have its own, unique sound.

also, the forums ive posted on about the older MG's, they person is generally asking for an inexpensive upgrade from a modeling amp. the newer style MG's sound awful. marshall really screwed that one up. but before they came out with the newer versions, their solid state amps were pretty good compared to what they are now, and in my opinion, and it is just that, an OPINION, they sound better than alot of modern solid state amps. everyone's ears are different and everyone is looking for a different tone. what one person hates, another may like