So this summer I will be getting an awesome job that will fund a new guitar.

Recently my theory has been advancing in leaps and bounds, and I have started to move away from rock/metal stuff that a lot of people start learning guitar with. I have somewhat migrated towards more instrumental stuff that uses the clean channel, chords, fingerpicking, and a generally more delicate style. What i have really noticed is that I have been wishing that I had a lower string so that I wouldn't have to play in drop tunings to get to the bottom root notes on some scales. For this reason, I would like to get a 7 string.

I have an RG with the wizard II neck, so i definitely like a thinner neck (although i would not be opposed to a smaller radius, the wizard II seems very flat on barre chords). I still love the full sound of a bridge humbucker, so that would be preferable. The other pups don't really matter, though I might be more inclined to singles on the middle/neck. I find the neck humbucker kind of not my taste. Fixed bridge is pretty much mandatory for my price range (sub $650).

I have looked on agile's site, and the only 7 strings in my price range with passive pups had fanned frets... which seem pretty whack. Not sure if those are the way to go, any advice? Schecter's dont really appeal to me, as well as the fact that i hate the necks.

Bonus points for items that dont scream LooK At me aNd Mi METALLZ GuiTarz!

(ps if i am considering a 7, should i just go for an 8 string and get an agile intrepid? they have passives+fixed bridge+classy finishes)
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
Last edited by eoinmorgan at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by eoinmorgan

I have looked on agile's site, and the only 6 strings in my price range with passive pups had fanned frets... which seem pretty whack.

They have plenty of 6's under $650, but I'm just going to assume that was a typo since you're talking about 7 or 8 strings

Quote by eoinmorgan

(ps if i am considering a 7, should i just go for an 8 string and get an agile intrepid? they have passives+fixed bridge+classy finishes

If you want to dabble in 8 strings without spending a lot then I'd say definitely go with Agile, I have an Intrepid 828 and absolutely love it.

If you want to go for just seven you have more options, but I'd still say go with Agile. I feel you're getting your moneys worth with their guitars. I've owned An LTD 7 string, that cost about the same, and the Agile blows it out of the water.

Edit:
Just realized you want passive humbuckers, in that case I see what you mean about Agile's site.
You could go with an Ibanez RG7321

You could save up a bit more for an Ibanez S7420 and block the trem.

I also just found this looking around online for 7's with passives

All are Ibanez, so I assume they have thinner necks than most 7 strings.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Last edited by DartS17 at Apr 21, 2011,
fixed that typo, thanks.

suppose i should have mentioned this, but I hate black guitars. All those little finish blemishes they get from picking drive me insane. I am by no means a "meseumist" when it comes to my guitars, and i do treat them like tools, but for some reason the scratches on black drive me crazy!

do the challenges presented by a 7string (harder to reach top strings, learning to adjust picking hand to not hit lowest string) really get amplified by another string? Or is it simply equally different from a 6 string. I will probably be sitting playing it, so bulkiness isnt an issue. I also usually play with the thumb in a very pronounced "classical" position from viola experience.
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
If you like the ibanez necks you're probably best going for an ibanez 7 strings. The likes of agiles/schecters etc are a good bit thicker and in comparison to a 6 even an ibanez 7 string neck will feel quite big.

I'd go used and look into a rg7621/7620/7421 and change the pickups. Or possibly save up for one of the current ibanez prestige 7 strings.

If you want quality thats the way to go. The first option has tonnes of value as well since they can be picked up very reasonable prices. I own a 7621 myself and its great!

:edit: you will have to sacrifice the colour though most are black. You can get red rg7620s though i'm pretty sure...