Is it customary to tip there? I am at work and just took A TON of luggage to this guy's room and he stiffed me. He says he is a travel agent so I think he would know this is standard procedure here in the states but that mountain of a douche didn't cough up a dime.
Currently in Iceland, it's not even customary for you to give someone their OWN money back, let alone give away your own.
Nope. But it seems that guy is just a douche. People should tip anywhere, no matter the country.
Quote by Gregray88
Nope. But it seems that guy is just a douche. People should tip anywhere, no matter the country.

The whole time I was in Europe I tipped and on one of the last days a local told me that gratuity is always included. I shrugged my shoulders and said I didn't mind a bit.
I'm sure someone is from Iceland. I mean, it's a populous country.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
In Iceland tipping (þjórfé, lit. "drink money") is not expected since a gratuity is already included in the bill. However, a tip of up about 10% is appreciated in a nicer restaurant for great service. At less expensive places such as pizza places, burger joints or hot dog stands, tipping is not expected. Icelanders themselves do not practice the tipping custom, but are familiar with it.

Wikipedia
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by Gregray88

It's considered rude to tip in several countries.
Burgery is from Iceland, ask him.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I NEVER tip unless I had really good service or it was a hot waitress, it's just not a custom in my country (Belgium)
I also found on my trip around Germany some people are heavily offended when you tip, don't get it
Last edited by TimTheWizard at Apr 21, 2011,
I dunno, but I want to go to Iceland.

Ask Sigur Ros.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
it isnt very common to tip in europe.

the reason why its so prevalent to tip in the US is because a lot of jobs where tipping is common will get paid under minimum wage with the rationale that tipping is part of their wage (and by law they are required to declare all their tips as taxable income). if the tips do not cover what would bring the employee above minimum wage per hour, then the employer is required to make up the difference.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Is Icelandic buddies tip but I understand it isn't something that they do that often. He just may not recieve the most exceptional service while he is visting. Muh ha ha ha ha (thats an evil laugh)
I only tip in restaurants, and only when the service is exceptional.

ITT: Americans being dickheads, not understanding that it's only vital to tip in their country because their minimum wage is terrible and poorly regulated.
Quote by LordBishek
Currently in Iceland, it's not even customary for you to give someone their OWN money back, let alone give away your own.

Haha true that
Quote by bradulator
I dunno, but I want to go to Iceland.

Ask Sigur Ros.

I wouldn't. Any time I ask them anything, all I hear is "byaaaaaoooooooooweeee *sound of water droplet* aaayyysaaaaa"
Quote by Butt Rayge
I only tip in restaurants, and only when the service is exceptional.

ITT: Americans being dickheads, not understanding that it's only vital to tip in their country because their minimum wage is terrible and poorly regulated.

Not really. Minimum wage directly correlates to the cost of living in your area, so yeah, it's going to be higher in California than Kentucky. I know if I worked full-time, I could live off of minimum wage, though not altogether comfortable.

So no, you're being a dickhead. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's wrong. And it's not vital, it's just how the business works. Generally, if you give good service, people tip you a lot more than you'd make on minimum wage.
Quote by K Reyn
Is it customary to tip there? I am at work and just took A TON of luggage to this guy's room and he stiffed me. He says he is a travel agent so I think he would know this is standard procedure here in the states but that mountain of a douche didn't cough up a dime.

Youre an alcoholic angler mother ****er. DONT FORGET IT. Tell him to tell you where the best spots are for ice fishing, and if not he can GTFO. Cuz you been drinkin' bitch. Even if Iceland is Greenland and Greenland is Iceland, tell him to suck the dick and deal with it. For real.

Still tippin'. never ever. EVA EVA EVA EVA EVA EVA.

Last edited by Fat Lard at Apr 22, 2011,
I only think tipping is customary in Britain...

Well, Norway has a twice as large minimum wage, even for tipping jobs. It's at ~$22/hour at the moment. I think Britons are only paid half of that -- let alone in America.
Quote by CrossBack7
Not really. Minimum wage directly correlates to the cost of living in your area, so yeah, it's going to be higher in California than Kentucky. I know if I worked full-time, I could live off of minimum wage, though not altogether comfortable.

So no, you're being a dickhead. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's wrong. And it's not vital, it's just how the business works. Generally, if you give good service, people tip you a lot more than you'd make on minimum wage.

You can live for $2.50 an hour, which is "tipping job" payment?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Apr 22, 2011,
Carry the bags faster next time, Ts.

Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by sfaune92
I only think tipping is customary in Britain...

Well, Norway has a twice as large minimum wage, even for tipping jobs. It's at ~$22/hour at the moment. I think Britons are only paid half of that -- let alone in America.

You can live for $2.50 an hour, which is "tipping job" payment?

lrn2read, as stated above, if you don't make AT LEAST minimum wage in tips, your employer must make up for it. And if you're worth a shit at all, you can easily make more than that. I know guys who deliver pizzas who make a >$100 in tips on decent nights. And Europe is generally a more expensive place to live, hence a higher minimum wage.

America's problem isn't with low income, it's with people living beyond their means and not knowing how to handle money for shit. Stop trying to bash the U.S. just for the sake of doing so.
Quote by CrossBack7
lrn2read, as stated above, if you don't make AT LEAST minimum wage in tips, your employer must make up for it. And if you're worth a shit at all, you can easily make more than that. I know guys who deliver pizzas who make a >$100 in tips on decent nights. And Europe is generally a more expensive place to live, hence a higher minimum wage.

America's problem isn't with low income, it's with people living beyond their means and not knowing how to handle money for shit. Stop trying to bash the U.S. just for the sake of doing so.

+1
Quote by CrossBack7

Sorry for my misinformedness. Furthermore, I have nothing against US; if it weren't for the backwards visa rules, and "Freshman Year", I'd considered going to university there.

Americans seems to be more laidback and open than ice-cold, reserved Norwegian town folks.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95
I went to Iceland last week and you only tip in restaurants, but only if you have amazing service. Icelanders might even think a tip is an insult.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
i am from iceland (i am actually a friend of burgery) and we don't tip i have never seen that here but we don't think that if you tip that it's a insult
note:if you translate sigur rós from icelandic to english in translate.google.com you get foo fighters
Quote by LordBishek

You're in Iceland?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Honestly, i only tip when i get a good service, and usually only in resteraunts. I've been in the situation where the porter guy has "insisted" he carry my bags, then expected a tip afterwards. Yeah, i've traveled across the world with my suitcase, and you want to carry it from the lobby to my room for a bit of money? No thanks.
The guy just checked out today and I took all of his luggage down again and he actually tipped me a $20. So between taking all his stuff up, getting all his packages he had shipped in, and bringing his luggage back down $20 isn't terrible. But for a guy who paid $1800 cash for his stay I would expect more.
Quote by K Reyn
The guy just checked out today and I took all of his luggage down again and he actually tipped me a $20. So between taking all his stuff up, getting all his packages he had shipped in, and bringing his luggage back down $20 isn't terrible. But for a guy who paid $1800 cash for his stay I would expect more.

Just be glad you got something. I live in Iceland and I've never seen anyone tip, ever.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by K Reyn

Dick.
Isn`t the whole point of a tip discretionary? I always make sure I leave nothing in those restaurants that automatically put a tip on the bill, it`s not up the them to decide how much they get, so they get nothing, but a lot of people don`t notice and give an extra tip, it`s becoming more and more common a scam.
In America it`s more of a service charge rather than tip as it`s expected.
People never tip here. However, if I was in America I would tip because I understand thats what's done.. having said that I absolutely hate tipping people for just doing their job. It sometimes felt in the US that it was necessary to tip bar staff early so they would continue to serve you. Its very annoying to tip someone who is basically demanding that you do so
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by mental_zer0
I wouldn't. Any time I ask them anything, all I hear is "byaaaaaoooooooooweeee *sound of water droplet* aaayyysaaaaa"

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.