I'm looking to get a PRS, and I can get an emerald green 10-Top Custom 24 for $3000 or a Custom 24 (regular model) for $2600. What makes the 10-Top worth that much more and do you think they play/sound different?
There is no difference in sound, apart from the normal variation between guitars.
The 10 top means the top of that guitar is more figured than a non-10 top, so visually it'll look a bit better. Personally, $400 extra for a bit more figuring in the top is not worth it.
So its the same guitar in terms of sound? (aside from what you said about individual ones, thats a good point) alright, thank you! You probably just saved me $400. The Emerald Green is gorgeous though haha
Yeah, they'll sound basically the same, unless one has different pickups. Even then it won't be a big difference.

The 10-tops are amazing looking though!
10-Top: 24 fret - HFS treble and Vintage bass pickups
Regular: 59/09 bridge pickup; 59/09 neck pickup

Also, for the standard 24, do you happen to know the difference of Pattern Thin Neck and the regular? It's probably as simple as "its thinner" but if there's a significant difference worth noting i'd love to know!
I dont know, the only PRS necks I've played have all been vintage style thick ones.
Are u dead set on a 24 as they have 22 fret models as well i think and there are loads of those second hand if u are willing to have second hand ofc.1655 dollars i paid for a second hand mccarty http://www.knightonmusiccentre.com/used-guitars/other-guitars/prs-mccarty/prod_81.html mine had birds but was not a 10 top but maybe consider one its more vintage .but yeah a 22 http://www.dv247.com/guitars/prs-custom-22-electric-guitar-gray-black--71643 i garantee u can get on ebay most times n for about 1 986 second hand and i would expect a near mint one for that .spend the rest on amp or other upgrades etc .
Last edited by Rosewood55 at Apr 21, 2011,
Guess many guitarists are blinded by names these days. 10 top just means they have a 10mm maple top instead of a 6 mm maple top. More figured my ass. PRS just selects 'nicer' looking woods for the 10 tops, true. But it really just means that these guitars have a thicker maple top than the other ones.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^No Custom 22/24's have 6mm tops, they have full carved tops, a 6mm drop top would be far too thin.
The 10 refers to the figure. Straight from the PRS site;
A very small percent of the maple trees cut in North America are actually figured. To make "10-Top" status, a PRS top must have clearly defined figure across its entire top with no "dead" spots. A guitar designated as a 10-Top will have a small "10" written on the back of the headstock in the upper right corner. Some of our earlier guitars have the "10" stamped into the finish in the same position. In some cases, the top may be remarkable through about 90% of it and a little dead through about 10% of it.
i agree lp its all just an extra pointless cost.also i have found not all but u can find some non 10 top prs guitars that look pretty much as good as 10 tops or close at least
Quote by littlephil
^No Custom 22/24's have 6mm tops, they have full carved tops, a 6mm drop top would be far too thin.
The 10 refers to the figure. Straight from the PRS site;

That's a whole other explanation than they gave 18 yrs ago...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Well 18 years ago it probably meant something else then.
All of their tops are at least 10mm thick, anything less wouldn't allow for the depth of the carved top.
Quote by Rosewood55
Are u dead set on a 24 as they have 22 fret models as well i think and there are loads of those second hand if u are willing to have second hand ofc.1655 dollars i paid for a second hand mccarty http://www.knightonmusiccentre.com/used-guitars/other-guitars/prs-mccarty/prod_81.html mine had birds but was not a 10 top but maybe consider one its more vintage .but yeah a 22 http://www.dv247.com/guitars/prs-custom-22-electric-guitar-gray-black--71643 i garantee u can get on ebay most times n for about 1 986 second hand and i would expect a near mint one for that .spend the rest on amp or other upgrades etc .

Yeah, I'm dead set on the 24. Everything I own is 22 frets and I've always wanted 24 frets. I also think they (the 24s) sound a bit better, a bit brighter
Quote by boratian
10-Top: 24 fret - HFS treble and Vintage bass pickups
Regular: 59/09 bridge pickup; 59/09 neck pickup

Also, for the standard 24, do you happen to know the difference of Pattern Thin Neck and the regular? It's probably as simple as "its thinner" but if there's a significant difference worth noting i'd love to know!

the 59/09 pups are paf esque vintage alnicos. not very hot, mid heavy, vintage sounding.

the HFS is a hot (14.7K) ceramic bridge bucker. it's wider sounding with more pronounced highs and much more suitable to modern tones than vintage. the BASS is a low output PAF style alnico. so with the 5 way selector, it's very versatile. absolutely love mine.

why PRS puts "vintage" pups in a "modern" guitar is beyond me but watevs, it's his company not mine. i'd leave the vintage pups for the SC58, mccarty etc. i'll have to remember that when i create gregs1020guitfiddles.

10 top just means that early in the wood sorting, some tops were deemed to be more evenly figured across the top, no washout spots etc. but understand, this is prior to stain/finishing and not all 10 tops are better looking than non-10 tops. i've seen crazy looking non-10s and some 10s that were turds. (i owned a 10 that was a turd imo, and have a non 10 that's damn perfect). so it's not a perfect science by any means. it's 3 guys putting maple blanks in 3 piles. non-10, 10, and artist/PS. been there, seen it first hand, nice guys.

fwiw, a lot of people think that a quilt top is warmer sounding than a flame top. how they would know this is beyond me. i mean, how do you change the top to tell? lol

so of the 2 guitars you listed, it comes down to what kind of tones do you want.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
fwiw, a lot of people think that a quilt top is warmer sounding than a flame top. how they would know this is beyond me. i mean, how do you change the top to tell? lol

You wouldn't have heard this on a certain Page of Gear, would you?
Sounds like the sort of thing those guys would claim.
Quote by littlephil
You wouldn't have heard this on a certain Page of Gear, would you?
Sounds like the sort of thing those guys would claim.

no funny enough it's a buddy of mine who told me that, about the custom 24 i bought off of him. (quilt top).

generally speaking, he's like me and laughs at the BS you see online.

there may be a tonal difference, but i can guarantee you that it's not something i would be able to hear.

too many other variables come into it to say it's this or that one single thing. (is my opinion).
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by LP_CL
Guess many guitarists are blinded by names these days. 10 top just means they have a 10mm maple top instead of a 6 mm maple top. More figured my ass. PRS just selects 'nicer' looking woods for the 10 tops, true. But it really just means that these guitars have a thicker maple top than the other ones.

This is TOTALLY wrong!!! As Phil said it refers to the quality of figuring. A 10 top is called so bc it is supposed to have no more than 10 percent dead spots in the figure. All of PRS's carved tops are the same thickness. That being said I have seen some pretty uninspiring 10 tops and some pretty killer non 10 tops.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500