For metal obviously except 16th notes and faster you'd want to down pick everything. What about other genres for riffs and rhythm? I see that Kurt cobain alternate strums his chords on smells like teen spirit. What about the riff in Black Dog by Zeppelin?
Last edited by musicandthewave at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by musicandthewave
For metal obviously except 16th notes and faster you'd want to down pick everything. What about other genres for riffs and rhythm? I see that Kurt cobain alternate strums his chords on smells like teen spirit. What about the riff in Black Dog by Zeppelin?

It's actually perfectly possible to down-pick a lot of 16th note metal riffs, for example a lot of the riffs from Trivium's album "Ascendancy" were down-picked (see Light to the Flies). Personally I'm a die-hard alternate-picker, but that's just me
if you want to down pick you can, you dont have to. i always alternate pick, like everything, i dont even realize. riffs, solos, licks, i just alternate strum, i dont know why, i dont even mean to. just do whatever YOU want to
You have to adapt to the style your playing and the kind of sound you want to get out. Some genres, like metal, require you to develop a quick down stroke whereas that wouldn't be appropriate for jazz/blues. You might even find yourself doing all upstrokes on the offbeats

EDIT: the LAST thing you want to do is only downstroke or only alternate all the time. Become efficient with both techniques
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by hightension01
i never dont alternate pick... dont get into bad habits

My illiterate co-poster has a point- only ever down-picking can become a bad habit. I know a guy who despite his 7/8 years of playing, can only perform a down-stroke. He can't strum at all and seriously struggles with upstrokes.

I guess that's what idolizing James Hetfield does to you, though.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
My illiterate co-poster has a point- only ever down-picking can become a bad habit. I know a guy who despite his 7/8 years of playing, can only perform a down-stroke. He can't strum at all and seriously struggles with upstrokes.

I read your post..
<Not illiterate...

i just like double negatives
a lot of punk guitarists and bassists (who use picks) use downstrokes almost exclusively, Johnny Ramone being the first that comes to mind.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Its a good idea to use both. I think riffs its all about preference, but personally I like to downstroke my riffs as much as I can because the held of gravity makes things sound a bit chunkier. That being said you don't want to get in the habit of only being able to down pick as there is only so much speed that you can develop with that technique.
Quote by SilverSpurs616

the man has a robotic arm thats stuck in downstroke mode, he doesnt need to pick up.
Quote by Dulskmusic
Its a good idea to use both. I think riffs its all about preference, but personally I like to downstroke my riffs as much as I can because the held of gravity makes things sound a bit chunkier. That being said you don't want to get in the habit of only being able to down pick as there is only so much speed that you can develop with that technique.

yeah, it has a different sound. downstrokes sound a bit cleaner than alternate picking, particularly when strumming power chords, but for single notes as well. certain riffs sound better downstroked, and others sound better alternate picked or strummed. you just have to try both for each riff.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Sometimes I only downstroke when I feel like being metal (joke) but most of the time I alternate pick unless the notes are slowish where I can just downstroke. I also involuntarily economy pick, but everytime I think about it I mess up with it haha.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
A worthwhile point is that down-strokes are often better for ACCENTING notes, especially on the beats during 16th note rhythms!