I am looking to get a replacement for my 12AX7 tube in my blackheart killer ant to get more clean headroom. I have read good things about Jan Philips 5751.....
would I swap the V1 or V2?
Anyone have expereance with this tube?

And most important....where can I buy one? I was hoping amazon would carry it but not as of right now.

They do carry a Sovtek 5751 but I read a review that recommended using a Jan Philips 5751.
It should cut down on some of the gain, not sure how much clean headroom your gonna get out of it. You should have a 12AU7 in V2 I'm assuming, some NOS 12AU7 might give some slightly higher clean headroom. Another option is to get a beefier output transformer to get a better low end and more headroom period. 1 watt amps tend to have too much gain rather than too little in my opinion, example being the hughes and kettner cream machine (not useful beyond 50% preamp gain).
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by CephalidHunter
It should cut down on some of the gain, not sure how much clean headroom your gonna get out of it. You should have a 12AU7 in V2 I'm assuming, some NOS 12AU7 might give some slightly higher clean headroom. Another option is to get a beefier output transformer to get a better low end and more headroom period. 1 watt amps tend to have too much gain rather than too little in my opinion, example being the hughes and kettner cream machine (not useful beyond 50% preamp gain).

my amp acutally has two 12AX7's
I have a Killer Ant.

I also have JAN Phillips 5751 (but not in the Blackheart).

The 5751 is pretty close to a 12AX7. I'd consider a 12AT7 or 12AU7 as mentioned.

Sovtek is cheap
JAN Phillips is NOS (New Old Stock Military Spec)

www.dougstubes.com
it had been a while since I was trying different tubes...pulled the head apart and found I had a EH 12AY7 in V1 and JJ ECC83S in V2.
I swaped them and put the JJ in V1 and....much cleaner headroom.
I may try a 5751 in V1