Simple topic. What do you think of cynicism? Would you call yourself a cynic? What do you think it means to be cynical?

Give your opinions.
Quote by thewho65
I sometimes think those animals on the ASPCA commercials are playing up the abuse-card just a bit much.

its the sarah mclahchlan.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I'm cynical in a positive way sortof. Like, I acknowledge the fact that everything sucks and never trust anybody. But I accept those things, allowing me to move on and be positive.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
i think cynicism shouldn't be confused with skepticism...

I consider myself a skeptic.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
1. I'm the definition of cynical.

2. Cynic is a sweet band.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by Rawshik
They are a great band.

mediocre at best, really. i'd consider myself to be quite cynical at times.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I can be cynical at times, I feel like there's a bit of survival in cynicism, to just not trust everybody. Thought I do try to keep my pessimism in check and be realistic about situations.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I got called for cynical for saying that the heart and brain are not made of the same muscle, that the brain isn't even made out of muscle.

I was the laughingstock of art history.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by MakinLattes
I got called for cynical for saying that the heart and brain are not made of the same muscle, that the heart isn't even made out of muscle.

I was the laughingstock of art history.

Cardiac muscle is one of the three major types of muscle tissue found within the body. Cynic.
huh, I usually catch myself. I meant the brain isn't made out of muscle. I know the heart is, and that cardiac muscle is unique to the heart. I was shunned for sharing my biology 101 knowledge.
There is nothing wrong with being cynical. In being as such, you are acknowledging that things can be better and I'm sure most cynics would prefer to see those things become better. But to be cynical without objective is unnecessary and a gateway to psychological chaos. To pick out the problems without trying to fix them is a wasted focus on something that should be focused towards the positive. Use your cynicism as a tool to view reality, then with the adjusted view, try to make change to the negative aspects of reality.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."
Quote by DonGlover
There is nothing wrong with being cynical. In being as such, you are acknowledging that things can be better and I'm sure most cynics would prefer to see those things become better. But to be cynical without objective is unnecessary and a gateway to psychological chaos. To pick out the problems without trying to fix them is a wasted focus on something that should be focused towards the positive. Use your cynicism as a tool to view reality, then with the adjusted view, try to make change to the negative aspects of reality.
I personally don't think cynicism is so much about the nature of the conclusions you come to, rather than the attitude you have about them.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well aren't you the budding neuroscientist.

I did sit through my mom's psychoneuroimmunology classes when I was in preschool. I guess I have a knack for it.

of course, with the value of a BA today I doubt I'll get far with that alone, however my predispositions fall.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Apr 22, 2011,
Quote by The Madcap
I personally don't think cynicism is so much about the nature of the conclusions you come to, rather than the attitude you have about them.

It's all relevant. Cyncism is not something to hold onto for the rest of your life. It is an attitude to be used to identify harsh truths and as I said, when the truths are found, your objectives begin. But I guess I am referring more towards rational-cynicism.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Last edited by DonGlover at Apr 22, 2011,
I'm a skeptic, cynic, nihilist, and have incredibly low self esteem.

I'm just tons of fun to be around.

Oh, and if "sardonist" is a word then that too.
I still honestly don' know what it means...

(and this is a serious post )
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I'm completely cynical. I think for the most part that everything everyone does is for selfish reasons and that most people wouldn't have a problem with screwing you over to get what they want.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.