Page 1 of 2
Hey Pit,

I've got a questionnaire for as many people to answer as possible here.

I'm doing a Music Extension assessment thesis on how technology etc. (Auto-Tune, lip-synching mostly) has changed music.

I just need results (can be as short as yes or no) on around about 18 questions, that's all.

I'd be very appreciative if I could get any feedback on the questionnaire questions too, if anyone finds them difficult to understand.

Thanks Pit.

Questionnaire:

1. Have you ever noticed any significant differences between certain performers’ singing skill in the studio, and singing in front of a live audience?

2. Do you believe some performers sound considerably better in their studio recordings?

3. The process of pitch-correcting an artist’s singing voice is called Auto-Tune. Have you ever heard of Auto-Tune?

4. Do you think musicians should be able to use Auto-Tune in their music to appear to have more talent than they really possess?

5. Do you enjoy the sound of an Auto-Tuned vocal track, or does Auto-Tune appear to detract from an artist’s skill?

6. Would you agree that performers who use Auto-Tune are compromising their own authenticity?

7. Do you think Auto-Tune is a result of music producers implementing the process into a musician’s song, in order to fit into the popular music genre of recent times?

8. Do you believe singers should be allowed to use Auto-Tune to correct their errors, and sound much better than they really do?

9. Do you know of any artists who may use Auto-Tune?

10. Do you enjoy listening to these artists? What is your opinion on these musicians?

11. New innovations in Auto-Tune technology have allowed for real-time pitch-correction during live performances. Would you attend a performance if the artist was going to use Auto-Tune to correct any singing errors?

12. Do you know what lip-synching is?

13. Have you heard of any singers being caught in the act of lip-synching?

14. If an artist is a very active dancer and also sings, should they be criticized for compromising their singing talent to visually entertain through dance?

15. Is the show more important than the voice?

16. If you don’t agree with this, should these lip-synching artists be exposed to the public?

17. A bill is being passed to Australian Parliament that makes it mandatory for performers to tell the audience they will be lip-synching their performance. Is this a good thing?

18. Would you attend a performance if the artist was going to lip-synch?
Just glancing over it your question 5 doesn't make any sense. It states " Do you enjoy the sound of an Auto-Tuned vocal track, or does Auto-Tune appear to detract from an artist’s skill?" This question leaves no room for all the possible answers, because what if someone does not enjoy the sound of an auto tuned track, but doesn't think that using it detracts from the artists skill...
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Thanks Dreaminmusic, would a better, and much simpler question be:

5. Do you find that Auto-Tune adds to or detracts from the artist's skill?
Im a Pro.......Face It
Quote by patman90

3. The process of pitch-correcting an artist’s singing voice is called Auto-Tune. Have you ever heard of Auto-Tune?

5. Do you enjoy the sound of an Auto-Tuned vocal track, or does Auto-Tune appear to detract from an artist’s skill?

6. Would you agree that performers who use Auto-Tune are compromising their own authenticity?

7. Do you think Auto-Tune is a result of music producers implementing the process into a musician’s song, in order to fit into the popular music genre of recent times?

This section has few errors in the questoins

3) Autotune is a brand the process is still called pitch correction on voices.

5) You prob can't tell most the time as almost every single recording uses pitch correction (just not as much as a lot of pop artists who use it as a style now.

6) I guess you could say its a valid question if your opinion on almost every singer the last 15 years is looked at it.

7)No it wasn't use in a dumb way in the late 90s its just a recent fad for it to be used to a retarded extent.

You should probably go back and re-word those questions.
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by patman90
4. Do you think musicians should be able to use Auto-Tune in their music to appear to have more talent than they really possess?

Seriously TS?

Blatant biases and leading questions everywhere.
I will answer all as best as I can:

1. Have you ever noticed any significant differences between certain performers’ singing skill in the studio, and singing in front of a live audience?

No, as I do not attend concerts all that often, and I never go to pop shows, they never interest me

2. Do you believe some performers sound considerably better in their studio recordings?

Yes

Yes, even messed around with it on a few occasions.

No, that is giving a false product.

I like the sound of it when used in extremes, i.e. T-pain, but it detracts from the artists skill when it is used to cover up bum notes (note: I didn't say horrible singing voice, I said bum notes.)

Not if they are using it in a weird way, to bring up T-pain again, he seems to use it like a keyboard controlled by his voice.

No, although I am split between whether it's the artist or producer. Likely Scenario: Producer mentions it, Artist has heard a lot of famous people who used it, agrees that they should use it. But I don't know the process from recording to mastering, so I can't give an accurate depiction of it.

8. Do you believe singers should be allowed to use Auto-Tune to correct their errors, and sound much better than they really do?

Yes. On one hand, they are compromising their authenticity, but who wants to hear a bum note on the radio?

T-Pain, Cher, thats all I can think of right now.

10. Do you enjoy listening to these artists? What is your opinion on these musicians?

Yes, I do enjoy these artists.

11. New innovations in Auto-Tune technology have allowed for real-time pitch-correction during live performances. Would you attend a performance if the artist was going to use Auto-Tune to correct any singing errors?

Yes, if I liked the music.

Yes.

No.

14. If an artist is a very active dancer and also sings, should they be criticized for compromising their singing talent to visually entertain through dance?

No, but if they can do both, major kudos to them.

sometimes, yeah. Look to Pink Floyd shows after "The Wall". It was a spectacle, or the one I read about was. The music was still good, though, .

16. If you don’t agree with this, should these lip-synching artists be exposed to the public?

No.

17. A bill is being passed to Australian Parliament that makes it mandatory for performers to tell the audience they will be lip-synching their performance. Is this a good thing?

I would love to know why the Australian Parliament has to make such an asinine bill. Performers should be able to do what they want to do. Should I have to tell the audience before I play that I'm gonna be improvising a solo for *insert number of songs*? no.

If the music was good enough.

Yes

Quite a few

Yes

Yes. Some people enjoy this, so let them have it.

I think it can be (and often is) used to hide flaws, but can also be used simply as a sound effect.

I'm not sure, in my own opinion, I think it is the same as distortion for a guitarist. It can sound cool, but it can also just be used to hide flaws.

Yeah, I think so.

I don't think it sounds better myself, but I think you should be able to do whatever you want with your voice. I don't like the sound of auto-tune, but obviously some people do.

Turn on the radio.

I don't think they are musicians. And I don't think they are artists. They often do not write their own songs, and they don't mix their own voices. So I consider them entertainers.

oh, and I'm not a big fan, myself.

Probably not, but mostly because this technology isn't used in any of the genres I listen to.

Yes

Yes

Yes. I don't care how much you dance, if Getty Lee can play bass, key boards, and sing at the same time, I'm pretty sure dancing and singing shouldn't be too much to ask.

Some people just go to be entertained, and so some may prefer the show. As a musician, I go for the music.

Unless their a magician or something like that, I think honesty is best.

I see nothing wrong with it.

Nope.
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) I believe musicians should have the freedom to do as they please even if certain people don't agreee with it.

5)No, auto-tune does not sound significantly better than an off-pitch performance in my opinion.

6) Yes
7) Yes
8)I believe musicians should have the freedom to do as they please even if certain people don't agreee with it.

9) I know of several artists who use Auto-Tune as a vocal effect, but I cannot with complete certainty name any artists who use it as a means of correcting pitch.

10) The use of Auto-Tune as a vocal effect has been so overdone that listening to it is a painfully uninteresting event. Auto-Tune as pitch correction may make a performance sound better, but knowing that it is a false performance takes away the joy of listening.

11) No, I would not attend a pitch-corrected live performance.

12) Yes
13) Yes
14) Yes, an artist should know his/her limits and not advertise a performance that he/she can in realistically reproduce.

15) Each artist is different. For some, it may be the interaction with the audience or the spontaneity of a live performance that is the focal point of the show. They should choose what the priority is advertise that as the main element of their live performance. The audience should know before hand what they are paying to see. A problem arises only when an artist advertises a performance (claims to sing or dance) that they can not deliver.

16) When people are paying to see a live performance they should not be given a lip-synching dancer instead. If they expect to see a singer, then the singer should ACTUALLY be singing.

17) Yes, this is a very good thing.
18) NO.

Of course.

Duh

Yes. Auto-tune is a product though. There is other pitch-correcting software out there, you know.

Yes. Also, retarded question.

I don't enjoy the sound of it unless it's used sparingly.

I could name plenty of singers that use auto-tune that you wouldn't even realize do.

No, I think it is a tool that is used to save money and improve performance in the studio.

Yes. Who are you, the music police?

It's hard to know any that don't. I have a feeling you know nothing about auto-tune.

Yes.

No.

Yes

Yep

I don't like it personally, but if it's advertised as a visual show, then I don't see why they should be criticized for it.

Depends on the genre.

I don't care

That's fucking retarded.

No
Check out my band Disturbed

Yes

Yes

Yes

Wat. They should be able to use autotune. Also, using autotune =/= being a bad musician.

That depends on how it is used.

No

Auto-tune is often used that way, but I do not think that is why Auto-tune exists.

Yes, why shouldn't they?

Yes.

Depends on the musician

Yes, but I might not appreciate the performance as much.

Yes.

Yes

I don't care either way.

Both are equally important.

It doesn't really matter.

That's a stupid idea.

No
1. Yes, especially the artists that used to sing high, but no longer can
2. Yes see above answer
3. yes
4. i don't think they should, but you can't really control it.
5. I think that auto tune seems to screem "i have no talent at all"
6. Yes
7. Sure?
8. No
9. Yes
10. No, they produce horrible music and are they suck satans dick (bill hicks here)
11. No
12. Yes
13. Yes
14. No opinion
15. Not really, if they sound great, but just stand there, im fine with it.
16. yes
17. We need this in 'merica
18.no

whoa... an '06er
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I think they should, but not necessarily to let people think that they're more talented than they are. They can use what they like. I dig music with perfect pitch.

I dig music with perfect pitch, but if we're talking about auto-tuning to alter the pitch of the voice extensively, nope, not my cup of tea.

No. They are who they are. If they're using a singing tool to sing, go ahead, man. But if they're going to lie about it, then yeah, it's pretty offensive.

Probably.

Same as one of the questions above. Go ahead.

Yes, but only those who change the way their voice sounds like, and not to make their music pitch perfect.

No. It sounds annoying and turns me off.

No. I go to a concert to see an artiste as is.

Yes.

There probably is, but I don't know of any one.

It's part of their style. I don't care.

No. They're both important.

Sure.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Only if used sparingly but who am I to stop them?

You're asking to questions at once. 1) No. 2) Depends how much it has been used.

Depends how much it is used.

No.

Again, depends how sparingly it is used.

Yes.

I don't listen to them but they don't bother me. If people enjoy their music then I'm not stopping them.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

No. They can still sing and dance at the same time.

A good show for me would need to be good in all aspects including voice. It would be difficult for me to enjoy a show if the voice is not good.

No.

Sounds fine. Going to a lip-synched performance would feel like getting ripped off to me.

No.
This
Compared to this
Makes this a yes.

Refer to the above answer. But sometimes bands/singers do sound much better live.

Yes.

Depends. If it is used subtly on parts that may have been slightly off pitch, then it is forgivable. But if it is used to attempt to make it sound like somebody can sing, then no.

Again, depends on the music. In techno, it works well because it fits the music. But most other stuff, not really.

To an extent.

Sometimes.

Only in small doses, and if used subtly.

Most modern American pop music does.

I don't enjoy them but some do have skill, but technology makes that skill seem lessened

No.

Yes.

Yes, many.

Yes. They should focus on what the crowd came to see/hear, the music and the singing. The dancing is just to spice it up.

No.

Most already have, it's very easy to figure out.

I really have no idea what to say.

No.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Not really. The only things I've noticed are not hitting the terrifyingly high notes live, but that'd shred the vocal chords night after night. Bruce Dickinson seems to lose a lot of annunciation live though, and Brian Johnson seems shot after two or three songs.

Yes, but that's part of the studio - You can do it over until it's exactly right, and that's really the best way to do it, since you don't have the energy of a live crowd to go off. Either go for quality or power, and you don't have power in the studio, so quality.

Of course.

Null. There are plenty of talentless hacks who it's either the only thing making them bearable who're painful otherwise, but hey, if it makes more music, and some people like that music, no objections.

Skill and pleasant sound are two different things. One is undeniable, one is preferential. I'm not a big fan of djent, barring a few bands I find awesome, for the simple reason I don't like the melodic structure or guitar tone, and it's a guitar-heavy genre. But I'd never think of denying the skill of the artists in the genre.

To answer the question though, nine of ten times, no, I don't enjoy the sound, but it doesn't effect the skill.

No. I wouldn't use it because I don't like the sound, and I don't like relying on something I'm not controlling to control my pitch, but if that's what makes your music sound like it does in your head, it'd be less authentic not to use it.

This was poorly phrased if I understand it right. If I'm right and you mean to ask whether it's a stylistic tool or a tool of pop culture, my anser is both. It's an aesthetic tool that's as integrated into some modern styles of music as distortion in metal, and it's also a tool some producers use to shove someone with no singing voice or sense of pitch with a nice face to sing a pop hit someone wrote. It's used for both. To paraphrase a badass, it's not inherently good or evil, it's how you use it.

Sure. I don't like it because I like a live performance, but again, if it makes more music people like, why not?

T-Pain and Akon.

Never really listened to them, no idea.

Sure. Again, it's about the music being good, not organic. If synths can be tasteful, so can autotune.

Of course.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15490419bqh6yfdc

No. A concert isn't just a sonic experience - people say they go to see an artist when they see them live, not to hear them. Why do you think The Who, Van Halen, Queen, Aerosmith, The Doors, Hendrix, all these huge acts became bigger than their fellow superstars? They put on a killer show. It's the reason Lady Gaga wears Christmas trees onstage, the reason Freddie Mercury would wear nothing but shorts in the middle of winter, the reason Pete Townshend destroyed countless guitars. Good concerts are a complete sensory tour de force, not just one for the ears.

Yes and no. A good show and an okay voice is much better than a great voice with no show is if I'm paying to see it live. But I don't want to go see the greatest show on earth if I have to spend the entire show with someone singing off-key. That's just cringe-worthy. I'd say put on as good a show as you can without losing pitch or deviating from the recorded sound too much.

Maybe. I haven't really looked into the issue much since I don't intend to lipsync at any point, but I can see how you could argue it's false advertising.

Again, maybe.

Depends on how much of a focus the vocals are. Moreover, if they put on a good show. Can't answer with provided facts.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Yes.

Yes, many do

Yep

I think that it could be used in some cases, but people who can't sing at all shouldn't use it just to be able to

I think it detracts

I would agree

Yeah

No

Yeah

Some of them I listen to, but I am more of a fan of their stuff before they started. Generally, though, I don't.

I would attend it

Yes

Yes

I think they should focus on one or the other, if they are doing a vocal concert, they shouldn't focus on dancing so much that it detracts from their singing ability

This depends on the situation I would have to say

I think that people could argue that going to a show to see someone lip synch could be false adversisment because you are going to see them "sing"

It will stop them, but I'm not sure how many artists it would effect because I don't know how many really lip synch

Depends on the performer

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Overall - detract. It can be used as a useful touch-up tool, or used to emphasize, but when it is the main focus, it becomes a negative aspect.

No

No

Yes

Yes

They still have excellent music that I enjoy listening to.

It would not be a deciding factor.

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

Undecided

Undecided

No
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Yes I enjoy the sound if you're talking about pitch correction, which MANY vocalists use if you're talking about the T Pain effect then no I don't enjoy it.

Define authenticity

No, pitch correction is used in many genres of music outside of pop.

Yes, pitch correction is a useful tool/effect. It doesn't cover up bad technique, just pitch.

Nearly every clean vocal track recorded today has some form of pitch correction. So, yes I do.

Read above.

Yeah, I would.

Yes

Milli Vanilli

Absolutely.

Yes

Yes

It's a stupid and pointless thing so no.

No.
1. Have you ever noticed any significant differences between certain performers’ singing skill in the studio, and singing in front of a live audience? Yes

2. Do you believe some performers sound considerably better in their studio recordings? Yes

3. The process of pitch-correcting an artist’s singing voice is called Auto-Tune. Have you ever heard of Auto-Tune? Yes

4. Do you think musicians should be able to use Auto-Tune in their music to appear to have more talent than they really possess? Pitch correction should be allowed but not to the extent where the artist seems much better than they really are. There's a reason people work hard, it's to sound good.

5. Do you enjoy the sound of an Auto-Tuned vocal track, or does Auto-Tune appear to detract from an artist’s skill? It can be used musically for a certain sound but someone who auto tunes extensively is detracting from their sound and I don't consider them to be a good musician. (For solely vocalists that is)

6. Would you agree that performers who use Auto-Tune are compromising their own authenticity? To an extent.

7. Do you think Auto-Tune is a result of music producers implementing the process into a musician’s song, in order to fit into the popular music genre of recent times? Possibly. It's also producers wanting a record to sound immaculate instead of what the performer actually sounds like.

8. Do you believe singers should be allowed to use Auto-Tune to correct their errors, and sound much better than they really do? As I stated before, to an extent. Not to the point where their actual skill is irrelevant.

9. Do you know of any artists who may use Auto-Tune? Not specifically but I've heard it.

It can sound good at times but it mostly sounds bad. I see them as people who make millions of dollars with no skill

11. New innovations in Auto-Tune technology have allowed for real-time pitch-correction during live performances. Would you attend a performance if the artist was going to use Auto-Tune to correct any singing errors? No. If they can't perform it live, they shouldn't play it.

12. Do you know what lip-synching is? Yes

13. Have you heard of any singers being caught in the act of lip-synching? Yes

They shouldn't lip sync but tailoring their show or simply getting better would suffice. Gaga sings and dances and she makes singing mistakes while dancing. I'd rather hear that mistake and know it's normal than have her fake it.

15. Is the show more important than the voice? The voice is part of the show.

16. If you don’t agree with this, should these lip-synching artists be exposed to the public? Yes

17. A bill is being passed to Australian Parliament that makes it mandatory for performers to tell the audience they will be lip-synching their performance. Is this a good thing? Possibly. It will benefit those who see it as important and won't affect those who would go anyway. The artists made the decision and can't really complain.

Probably not.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls

Once or twice.

No

Yes

no

Depends what music your listening too, Autotune works nice for electro, not so much for punk

Depends to what degree they are using auto-tune.

Yeah im sure some people would agree its takes away the soul of the song

yeah

alot

Meh, cheating... but just autotune :P

Not really

Yes

Yes

no

yeah

------------------

yep, then people will react and not go and so people wil get rid of voice correction/syncs

no
Questionnaire:

Yes I have.
Not always, I prefer live versions usually.
Yes
I don't like the way auto-tune sounds, and it's really overused nowadays, so no.
It depends how it's used, but not usually.
Yes.
Yep
Nope
I know there's a lot who use it, I hear it on the radio I just don't know who it is
Well only if I'm out with friends, terrible music is better than no music.
Never.
Yeh.
Nope
Singing is much more entertaining than dance to me.
No
Yes, and de-headed in public as well.
Hell yeah! Go Australia! (Now to wait for the rest of the world...)
**** no.

Your welcome TS
1. Have you ever noticed any significant differences between certain performers’ singing skill in the studio, and singing in front of a live audience? Yes

2. Do you believe some performers sound considerably better in their studio recordings? Yes

3. The process of pitch-correcting an artist’s singing voice is called Auto-Tune. Have you ever heard of Auto-Tune? Yes

4. Do you think musicians should be able to use Auto-Tune in their music to appear to have more talent than they really possess? No

5. Do you enjoy the sound of an Auto-Tuned vocal track, or does Auto-Tune appear to detract from an artist’s skill? No, It is the bane of the modern music industry.

6. Would you agree that performers who use Auto-Tune are compromising their own authenticity? Performers who use Auto-Tune are generally the same performers who long ago gave up all their musical credibility and allow writers, producers and managers craft every aspect of their music and image. Auto-tune does little further to harm their credibility in my eyes.

7. Do you think Auto-Tune is a result of music producers implementing the process into a musician’s song, in order to fit into the popular music genre of recent times? Yes. Auto-tune has been around for some time, used subtlely, but recently an over-the-top sound has become popular and marketable.

8. Do you believe singers should be allowed to use Auto-Tune to correct their errors, and sound much better than they really do? I don't think it reflects very well on their ability, but I don't necessarily think they 'shouldn't be allowed'.

9. Do you know of any artists who may use Auto-Tune? Yes, many

10. Do you enjoy listening to these artists? What is your opinion on these musicians? I loathe listening to their over-produced garbage. My opinion of these musicians is that they aren't even musicians. They can't sing, they don't write their own lyrics they don't write their own music. I doubt they can even play an instrument.

11. New innovations in Auto-Tune technology have allowed for real-time pitch-correction during live performances. Would you attend a performance if the artist was going to use Auto-Tune to correct any singing errors? Probably not.

13. Have you heard of any singers being caught in the act of lip-synching? Yes

14. If an artist is a very active dancer and also sings, should they be criticized for compromising their singing talent to visually entertain through dance? Yes. If they're more interested in being dancers, they shouldn't be marketed as singers. Especially if they can't sing.

15. Is the show more important than the voice? No

16. If you don’t agree with this, should these lip-synching artists be exposed to the public? Yes

17. A bill is being passed to Australian Parliament that makes it mandatory for performers to tell the audience they will be lip-synching their performance. Is this a good thing? Yes

18. Would you attend a performance if the artist was going to lip-synch? No
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. Don't like it - no?

6. Yes

7. No, to fix off notes

8. Yes

9. Yes

10. Not really, sounds much better when its authentic

11. No

12. Yes

13. Yes

14. No

15. Depends but generally no

16. Yes

17. Yes

18. No
Quote by patman90

Questionnaire:

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I don't think that is what it does.

I would like to be able to use vocal effects in my own band, I think they are cool. They don't make me question a persons skill at all.

No.

Not necessarily.

Of course. Musicality aside, I don't think I would want to live in a place where there was legislation against editing recordings.

Yes, I can name people who use it obviously, and I'm led to believe that most musicians use it in a more subtle manner.

Yes, I guess I do. Vampire Weekend use hard autotune on some of their songs and it's very cool. Deerhunter used alot of vocal effects live and on the album Cryptograms.

I would.

Yes.

I guess, in a vague way.

Only if the dancing sucks.

That would depend on the type of music, but basically no.

See question 8. Are you suggesting punishing them?

Oh nuts, you were. No, that's a terrible idea.

I wouldn't not attend because of it. Yes.

Your questions are very pointed. It's hard not to answer in a way that says autotune is bad.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
1. Yes, I did. Sometimes it wasn't even a matter of auto tune but yeah

2. Some do and some sound better live.

3. I remember of hearing once a song and I was like: "Holysh*t, his voice sounds awful". It was auto-tune.

4. With that goal? No. But I don't believe people do it with goal.

5. In small amounts I won't notice and It won't bother me. If you use it to tune every single not it will sound horrible.

6. I think it is just a tool people use to correct some mistakes, but sometimes people overuse it.

7. No, I don't think so.

8. "Oh, f*ck man! I screwed that little bit at 4:32-4:36". If they have time and patience, yeah record it again. If you don't use auto-tune if you don't think that it affects much the feeling of the song.

9. Some, yeah. And some of them are really good. But like I said, they use it to correct small parts.

10. And some of them are really good. But like I said, they use it to correct small parts. Others I can't stand their music (When they overuse it)

11. To correct singing erros?

12. Lip.synching? Yeah, people also call it playback.

13. Yes, I did. I remember of listening about this girl who was going to do it on a TV show and then they changed the tape. Also, Justin Bieber at the MTV awards or wathever it was, this or last years.

14. It is a music show. Of course the dancing is important but if you want to do it both it is going to be hard and you should work a lot. Some people can do it so I don't reasons to see people doing this other than being lazy.

15. What do you mean by show? Lights? Dancers? If you mean that I would say yes but the show is also very important. Screwing up sometimes in a live show is worth it. If you're just standing there holding the microphone it will be boring.

16. I kinda agree because you have the right know what are you spending your money on.

17. For the audience, yeah because we know that we will hear some CD playing instead of a live performance. For the artist not so much because he will lose respect and part of the audience.

18. I think the answer to this question would depend on the show.

I hope you were not expecting "Yes, No" answer only. If you were I apologize

Yes.

Yes

Yes, I auto tune my own vocal recordings for fun.

I don't think it does mainly because people can tell then the performer will be looked down on, however most use it for effect nowadays so it doesn't make a difference.

It might do, but a lot of the time it's just like reverb on a guitar, just to give a different effect to the voice (T-Pain)

No

Not really, it's used everywhere to make listening to music enjoyable.

As long as they still sing and it's not the computer/machine doing it for them.

T-Pain, Cher, Akon etc.

I don't listen to them so I wouldn't know, I do know that T pain uses it for the sound.

Yes as long as we can still hear the performer's voice and just the odd pitch correction here and there.

Yes, it's pretty self explanatory.

Cheryl Cole, Bieber etc.

Depends, if it is a genuine show not top of the pops or X factor or something then I'd expect to be able to hear their voice. If it is TOTP then I know that they usually don't let you sing/play your instruments.

Well if it's a band, the singer is only a percentage of the sound and I'd say that at a show, stage presence prevails. So yes.

Yes

I'd rather not know, then I can enjoy it without thinking. "My favourite artist is lip syncing (("

No.
My name is Jack.
1. Have you ever noticed any significant differences between certain performers’ singing skill in the studio, and singing in front of a live audience? Yes.

4. Do you think musicians should be able to use Auto-Tune in their music to appear to have more talent than they really possess? Yes

5. Do you enjoy the sound of an Auto-Tuned vocal track, or does Auto-Tune appear to detract from an artist’s skill? Depends how auto-tuned it is.

6. Would you agree that performers who use Auto-Tune are compromising their own authenticity? No

7. Do you think Auto-Tune is a result of music producers implementing the process into a musician’s song, in order to fit into the popular music genre of recent times? Sometimes.

8. Do you believe singers should be allowed to use Auto-Tune to correct their errors, and sound much better than they really do? Yes

9. Do you know of any artists who may use Auto-Tune? All do, just not all of them use it a lot.

Not all, but i don't really have an opinion, as long as they can sing live.

11. New innovations in Auto-Tune technology have allowed for real-time pitch-correction during live performances. Would you attend a performance if the artist was going to use Auto-Tune to correct any singing errors? No

13. Have you heard of any singers being caught in the act of lip-synching? Yes, lots.

14. If an artist is a very active dancer and also sings, should they be criticized for compromising their singing talent to visually entertain through dance? No.

15. Is the show more important than the voice? No

17. A bill is being passed to Australian Parliament that makes it mandatory for performers to tell the audience they will be lip-synching their performance. Is this a good thing? Yes

18. Would you attend a performance if the artist was going to lip-synch? No
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
yes

yes

yes

no

when it is used as a correction it sounds artificial and irritating,when used as an effect (T pain etc) i dont mind it

yes

most definitely.pop is the sale of an image,the music is a secondary aspect

yes but they should declare it

yes

it takes away from the vocal performance so i isten only if the music makes up for it

no

yes

yes

depends on how they show is advertised,if it is purely music than yes it should be criticized,if it is entertainment then no

15. Is the show more important than the voice
no

yes

yes

no
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Yes.

Many.

Of course I have.

'Talent'? Maybe the autotune is part of the music, to give it a robot-voice effect. Take trance for example. Works great. If it is achieved to make it sound in pitch, well... it's their loss, but people will hear a difference live and will be disappointed.

See above.

No, see my previous answer.

Not always.

I don't mind as long as it sounds good. But, as I said before, their loss.

It's Friiiidaaay

I like trance music. I like autotune when used correctly.

That again depends on the concert I would be at, but my general answer is no.

Yes.

Many.

No. Not my style of entertainment, mind you, but no.

Ah... this is a hard one. I personally think they're both equally as important. But if their lack of show is made up by their overwhelming voice I'm cool with it.

Yes. It's gonna be exposed at some point anyway though.

Yes.

No.
Quote by patman90

Questionnaire:

Yes

Yes

No

Not to have the image of more talent, but they should be able to use it to make music.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

No

Recently, perhaps. Though I would still argue that a singer might use Auto-Tune purely to get the sound the want, regardless of producer input.

Singers should be able to use Auto-Tune however they want

Yes

As musicians, they're good. As singers, they're good. I just don't like the style.

If I liked the artist, yes, and why not? I don't want to go to a performance where the singer might mess up. Sometimes it might make the atmosphere feel a bit 'fake', but if I enjoyed the singer, I'd still go.

yes

yes

Chances are, those artists are putting on a performance, not just a singing show. I don't think they should be compromised, because what they are doing adds an entertainment factor that wouldn't be seen if they just stood and sang

Depends on the style of music, and on what kind of performance the show is intended to be

No

No, it's stupid.

probably not

done. Answers are underlined.
Questionnaire:

Yes

Yes

Yes

If it is used deliberately and on purpose, sure, why not? However, artists that constantly really rely on autotune for correcting their singing mistakes shouldn't boast with their "talent".

As mentioned before, if it is used on purpose once in a while it is ok. However, I despise constant usage of autotune.

Possibly, yes.

Sure, major producers have always copied another for the sake of fitting into the music trend. But that's been around for decades. Think about the 80's when almost everybody started using synthesisers, even bands like Judas Priest. (Turbo Album, 1986)

Of course they should be "allowed" if they live in a free country.
However I think it's crap if they use autotune solely for this purpose.

Yes

They're ok, but usually not top of the line..

Probably not. Call me old-fashioned but to me it's like "lying to the audience".

Yes

Yes. (Gotta love Milli Vanilli )

No. If they're a good dancer, let them show it.

For me it's 80% voice and 20% show.

Yup. Even more than autotune, I believe that lip-synching during a live performance is like "lying to the audience".

That's a tough question.. Probably yeah.

Probably not.
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

Last edited by Eruption1991 at Apr 22, 2011,
I don't really like auto tune. I would rather just learn to sing.
Then what they hear on the album is what they hear live vocal wise.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Questionnaire:

yes

yes

yes

yes
detracts from skill but it doesn't have to be awful.
if the singer is already a well known talent and auto tune is a fun effect then no. if they are reliant on it because they can't sing yes.
it's just a momentary trend
yes.
yes.
that's entirely contextual.

if it was just for dressing up an already goood voice then yea.
yes
yes
yes
no
yes
YES.
NO.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Questionnaire:
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes (strange q.)
5. huh, no. bad question
6. no
7. no
8. yes (your questions are bad)
9. yes
10. yes, its still good. (skill doesnt really mean a lot)
11. yes
12. yes
13. yes
14. no
15. depends
16. - what, like its some huge conspiracy to entertain people...
17. no
18. yes
now extra flamey
Music Questionnaire
Hey Pit,

I've got a questionnaire for as many people to answer as possible here.

I'm doing a Music Extension assessment thesis on how technology etc. (Auto-Tune, lip-synching mostly) has changed music.

I just need results (can be as short as yes or no) on around about 18 questions, that's all.

I'd be very appreciative if I could get any feedback on the questionnaire questions too, if anyone finds them difficult to understand.

Thanks Pit.

Questionnaire:

Yes

Yes

Yes

Sure, but their music will still suck

It can be used to create an interesting sound, but I don't like when it's used to cover up the fact a vocalist can't sing

No

I don't have a clue

Well, it's up to them

Yes

Very, very few

No, but not because of the auto-tune - I just wouldn't be attending a shitty concert with a rubbish singer anyway

Yes

Yes

Of course

No

Yes, they're spending their money to see something which they're not getting

Yes

No
Alot of those questions are very badly designed, and I will therefore not be answering this questionnaire. Good day.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Whatever floats their boat

Hate autotuned vocals

yes

yes, to some extent.

a little bit of it isn't a bad thing. over doing it is a different story.

yes

No. I think the auto tune vocals are annoying. I think its a fak representation of the artist.

Probably not.

Yes.

Yes.

I think there are ways to balance the two.

no

Yes

yes

No
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Page 1 of 2