Hey, I realise I just made a thread a couple of hours ago but this is more important to me than finding decals.

I'm in the middle of building a parts-caster.. I spent today doing coats of primer on the body and tomorrow I'm going to do the final paintjob and a nice Nitro finish. I'm getting stock fender pickups off of a friend soon on the cheap, they're from his Mexi strat.

What I want to do is put a Tele neck on this strat body.. I know that the heel on a Tele has sharp corners but am I right in saying that rounding it off to the profile of a Strats heel will be all that's necessary?

Secondly.. the body (alder) of the Strat has a swimming pool route job.. would I be able to put a Tele neck pickup in the Strats neck position? Just for something different tonally and as something sort of quirky as it's basically a frankenstein guitar.

If the pickguard requires modification I can manage that as it's only plastic but I'm confident that because it's a swimming pool route this is more achievable than it'd be if it had single coil sized routing.

Edit: Other details that might change the answer: I'm wiring this guitar with a 4 way switch instead of a typical 5 way. I'm doing Neck, Neck-Mid, Mid-Bridge and Bridge. From an electrical point of view will a Broadcaster pickup wire in fine?

Advice?
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Last edited by WhoDooVooDoo at Apr 21, 2011,
any pickup should work fine with that switch. I think the tele is flat on the bottom (the side facing your bridge) and a strat is curved so there mightbe a pocket there. look into that though as I could be wrong.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I said that in my post, I know that tele necks have a flat heel where conversely the strat necks have a rounded heel.. I'm wiling to sand it to the strats shape, I just wanted to make sure that was all I really needed to do to make the neck fit right.
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
i think the strat has more wood on the heel then the tele, so in taking wood off the tele neck to make it fit the strat pocket you'd be screwing with your scale length
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
I was only going to round the edges of the heel not removed centimetres of wood from it.
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Vox VT20+
With the neck, i think it would be easier to see where the screwholes line up and then see whether you need to add a bit of wood to close the gap or whether you need to take a bit off the neck then act accordingly. This said, make sure your scale length is ok and if you need to, fill the screw holes in the neck pocket with dowel and redrill. With the pickups, as long as it fits in the route it'll be fine, and if you can find a switch and wire it that way then it should be ok.
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
I thought 4 way switches were quite common, I've seen a few 4 ways on websites selling guitar parts.

As for the neck, yeah I'll obviously focus on maintining the scale more so than anything.
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Vox VT20+