I'm having trouble deciding what guitar/guitars I want, I pretty much like all scales and nut sizes, I can't decide if it's better to get one expensive guitar or a few cheaper ones.

how do you feel about playing more than one scale/nut width/type of guitar?
Just because my style is so versatile, I dislike the "all-in" idea of owning 10 really nice strats when you could potentially have 20 different guitars to suit all those styles
Dealers choice man... there is no right or wrong answer.

For me personaly, when push comes to shove. And I really just want to sit down and play... the first guitar I always reach for was my first guitar. It's not anything special its a $250 Morgan Monroe I bought damn near 10 years ago. I have other and much higher quality guitars. But for some reason I fell in love with that guitar. When I want to learn a new song, or write something it's the only one I ever reach for
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
I don't mind different scale length/nuts or widths, I prefer long scales and usually and a semi wide neck most of the time but I feel comfortable on any of them.

I reckon having a couple of nice guitars is better than having heaps of sub par ones (and much better for saving room!).

I dunno about other people, but out of the 5 guitars I have, I only play 2 of them often and I pick up one of the others every once in a while just to dick around.
I'd go with one expensive one.

But I technically have three so I guess my opinion isn't all that great.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
if you can afford it just do it
i own 9 guitars (all electric though)
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
i'd rather have several good guitars with different tonal characteristics. given your question, well, i'd rather have one good guitar than several poor quality or all laminate ones.

but consider how cheaply one can get a good quality guitar these days. you can get an all solid blueridge for under $500 from maury's, an all solid recording king for under $400 from elderly, an all solid mahogany guild GAD for $599. and they're all nice guitars with good tone. and then there are some nice solid top guitars like the seagull s6, blueridge br-43, and although i haven't tried it yet, recording king has a new $250 dread that i bet is sweet.

and then there's eastman. their all-solid guitars from around $500 to $1300 that are beautiful instruments with gorgeous tone, higher grades of wood, lush appointments and great playability. probably one of the best values around at their price points. and they make a good variety of woods, sizes and shapes, too. i played an eastman jumbo for $745 the other day that easily rivaled other companies' $2000 jumbos.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Apr 22, 2011,
It's just so hard to make a descision, I have a Taylor GC4 and while it is amazing I've recently started thinking that i would be just as happy and possibly even happier with a slightly bigger/longer scale Larrivee OM-03R or similar, but at this point I can only afford one so I'm kind of not sure what to do here, in a ideal world I would have both...but then there's also the possibility of going a little cheaper and getting one 24 scale and one 25 scale

But honestly right now I'm thinking if I got the Larrivee I would have everything covered because capo the first and it's short scale, but the thought of giving up my taylor scares me...an other option would be start saving and in a few months get the larrivee....I don't know how to make a decision
Quote by mizxou
I'm having trouble deciding what guitar/guitars I want, I pretty much like all scales and nut sizes, I can't decide if it's better to get one expensive guitar or a few cheaper ones.

how do you feel about playing more than one scale/nut width/type of guitar?

I have trouble switching between guitars with different scale lengths and nut widths primarily because my fingers get confused - I keep fluffing notes.

As regards cheaper v. expensive. Get a good one (I'm NOT saying it has to be expensive) and if there's spare cash...
I agree with getting a good guitar, which is kind of why I'm in this situation, I can only afford one good one right now
Quote by mizxou
It's just so hard to make a descision, I have a Taylor GC4 and while it is amazing I've recently started thinking that i would be just as happy and possibly even happier with a slightly bigger/longer scale Larrivee OM-03R or similar, but at this point I can only afford one so I'm kind of not sure what to do here, in a ideal world I would have both...but then there's also the possibility of going a little cheaper and getting one 24 scale and one 25 scale

But honestly right now I'm thinking if I got the Larrivee I would have everything covered because capo the first and it's short scale, but the thought of giving up my taylor scares me...an other option would be start saving and in a few months get the larrivee....I don't know how to make a decision

Take your time to look for a used Larrivee, maybe?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Personally I have a lot of guitars, some cheapies, but most around the $500 > $1500 , I dont believe big $'s buy great guitars but you have to be in with a chance, i.e. if the gutiar is all solid timbers then that is a good starting point. To me, neck radii is the most important thing for comfort & ease of play, nut width probably next, then setup.

I would much rather 1 good sounding guitar, than 20 crap or off sounding ones.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Ok, I can't part with my Taylor. It's just so good. There's so much room to move around while playing, I can get a really good workout on it. I'm just gonna have to get the Larrivee too.

Whoa, I feel better now.
Its all personal preference. If you can suit your needs by getting a couple higher end guitars than that's what you do, but if it works better for you have more less expensive guitars, then go that route. It might take a while to figure out what kind of person you're gonna be, but no one can tell you what you're gonna need. Just do some experimenting and play as many guitars as possible and you'll eventually get a feel for what you like.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
I think you should buy nice instruments. If it's one or 20.. just get instruments you really love and are going to enjoy making music on. Don't cheap out. It really doesn't mater how cheap or expensive an instrument is, just that it's right. For me I have a lot of guitars!! I like having different sounds. I'm a session guitarist so I kind of need them, but regardless I still enjoy the variety.

--m
www.knobtwiddler.net
I have several cheaper ones.
The Recording King RD-06 I fell in love with and the Yamaha and Epiphone are not even hardly played anymore. But recently I've had to have it at the shop the RK that is "pickguard issues, nothing serious". And I've found myself really, really, really missing it even though I have the other guitars there. So I guess what I'm saying is its a good idea to have atleast two guitars you have a real connection no matter the pricepoint.