Okay, I've only been playing guitar for a few weeks. I want to change the pick ups on my Squier Strat. Is it hard? Is there some guide I could use? I've been looking but I haven't found any guide that's easy to understand for someone who's never taken a guitar apart before. Also once I open it, what all do I have to do to remove the old pick ups and put the new ones in?

also inb4: buy new guitar. I bought it cause it was cheap and a good beginner guitar. I'm keeping it until I've gone through at least a whole year of lessons.
You don't really need new pickups at this stage. Give yourself time to learn how to play and find what kind of tone you want.
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Agreed, don't waste time and money upgrading a Squire. Save that money to buy a new gat at the end of your one year
okay my sound has improved as I improve. My amp blows though. I got it with the value pack. It's a Fender Frontman g15...it's either too quiet...or too loud. And when I hook my boss ds 1 pedal up...holy buzz man! I've tried messing around with it, and can't find a sound I like.
bad guitar + bad amp = bad
good guitar + bad amp = bad
bad guitar + good amp = bad
good guitar + good amp = good

I think you're better upgrading to a good amp because that way you open your self up to tons of tonal differences where as if you buy a new guitar before a good amp you might be stuck not know what sort of tones you'd like to chase.

Others might disagree or whatever, I'd say amp then guitars if your starter guitar is OK to begin with. It isnt the best but it's not the worst starting point.
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Just take it slow, use less gain, and come back in a while when you're a little more sure about what kind of tone you want. That comes with time, and your tastes will be constantly changing, so just be patient.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
don know if you are doing this or not, but dont have the overdrive on the amp on while you are using a pedal too.

...........I fail haha. I have had the overdrive on all this time. Thanks for the advice though.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Last edited by TriviumisEpic at Apr 22, 2011,