so i left my flextone on for about an hour and when i came back and reached for the knobs, there was heat coming out of the little vents (which i thought was just put there for asthetic purposes) now, as far as my knowledge goes, SS amps dont produce heat.....theres no tubes to produce heat......anyone know whats going wrong here?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by phoenix_crush
It evolved?

hopefully,......any other thoughts haha
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
modern flat screen TVs don't have tubes either and they get hot

(I thought this was a clever NAD title)

lol ya im clever like that, so im just guessing its like.....the circuits and stuff heating? or since it emulates tube amps, does it emulate tube heat (joking btw)
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
screw it... cook soup on it while you play
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Quote by arthurt420
screw it... cook soup on it while you play

ahaha not that hot man, just a little warm air coming out
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
lol ya im clever like that, so im just guessing its like.....the circuits and stuff heating? or since it emulates tube amps, does it emulate tube heat (joking btw)

holy crap I'm glad you added in the joking part, i was seriously concerned there for a second. but yeah, electrical things can get hot and vents are usually there for a reason.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
holy crap I'm glad you added in the joking part, i was seriously concerned there for a second. but yeah, electrical things can get hot and vents are usually there for a reason.

hahah. yea well basically i had one of those "THIS TONE IS PERFECT" moments and didnt want to turn off my amp lol
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
PCs are solid state and they heat up.

It's natural for electronics to heat up. The current encounters some resistance as it travels through the circuit and there is a power loss due to this resistance which is in the form of heat. If it is excessive, then you should worry, but some heat is natural. Just looks at PCs... lol.
a lot of things produce heat. like computers. which is basically what a line 6 amp is haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
a lot of things produce heat. like computers. which is basically what a line 6 amp is haha

true dat
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Transistors produce heat. They are current amplifiers. Where there's current, there's heat.
My ss combo has a big ass heat sink above the vent on the back and for good reason too. That thing will put off a lot of heat when cranked.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I over-loaded an SS amp once by reamping a tube amp into it and it caught on fire

hahahahaha
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Where there's current, there's heat.

I don't think that's correct. I think it's wherever there is resistance there is heat when you pass current through it. A counter example to your statement would be a superconductor.
fires produce heat
bugeras produce fires
amp must be bugera
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I over-loaded an SS amp once by reamping a tube amp into it and it caught on fire

thats SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO metal
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
My solid state amp gets warm on the back radiator during long practice sessions. Only warm though.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Doest it get so hot you can cook eggs on it?
If no, you don't need to worry.
If yes, cook some goddamn eggs.

Quote by CECamps
Transistors produce heat. They are current amplifiers. Where there's current, there's heat.

Superconductivity, n00b!
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 22, 2011,
aw i thought this thread was about the ht5

Quote by coolstoryangus
If a line 6 amp catches fire... is it modelling a bugera

trololol

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The SS power amp I'm currently repairing (a 3RU 250+250W Perreaux 2150B) generates so much heat that the entire sides of its cabinet are made entirely from nothing but a massive great heatsink that the output MOSFETs are mounted to. I don't know where you've got the idea that transistors don't produce heat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 22, 2011,
Quote by farmosh203
I don't think that's correct. I think it's wherever there is resistance there is heat when you pass current through it. A counter example to your statement would be a superconductor.

Where there is current, there is resistance. A superconductor is by definition the only counter example possible here, so until superconductors become common in consumer electronics I think it's a safe claim to make.
Quote by baumaxx1
PCs are solid state and they heat up.

It's natural for electronics to heat up. The current encounters some resistance as it travels through the circuit and there is a power loss due to this resistance which is in the form of heat. If it is excessive, then you should worry, but some heat is natural. Just looks at PCs... lol.

Crysis makes my GPU hit 85
Where there is current, there is resistance. A superconductor is by definition the only counter example possible here, so until superconductors become common in consumer electronics I think it's a safe claim to make.

Actually I think I'm wrong since you need a load or short circuit for current to flow.
Quote by Roc8995

might be financially viable for bugera
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?