I know i posted somthing similar earlier but heres my dielema. Ok, so i need a new gigging amp. I sold my old rig so its Time for the new. I need 2 channels cause I play ska and reggae, with a little hard rock in there, and ocasionally some van halen in my free time at home.

Heres what ive decided. I need an amp ASAP and because i cant afford a budda superdrive 18 this is what ive chosen to tie me over. Mesa transatlantic 15 and the orange dual terror.

For the life of me i know the mesa is more versitile, and probably better sounding in the gain area, But theres a part of me deep down inside that really wants to think the dual terror will work out. Ive played it and had NO problem getting a shiny clean which everybody seems to be having trouble with. TT channel, Volume max (most headroom) and use the gain as the clean volume.

I cant find a mesa to try out, so imneed your opinions users. Talk me out of the orange!

Given what i play most, whats my best bet. I WOULD like to have as much gain as possible without a petal for my heavy stuff.

HELP! I need to decide quick
Hahaha oh ive seen this like 4 different times trying to see if there was some part ive missd. I dont feel like he pushed the boogie gain channel hard enough. Theres not much out there on the high gain settings to watch. Plus use humbucker equipped guitars if that helps any.
I've played a Transatlantic. The cleans are friggin' gorgeous, and it's got more gain than you'll need for anything that doesn't end in "-core." But if you like the Orange, then get the Orange. If you want to justify that, think of it this way: if you're playing an amp that you personally think is awesome, you'll be more confident of sounding good, and if you're confident, you'll play better.
Oh i know i know. Im Not lookin for metal. More hard rock like van halen or rush, or a little thin lizzy....i gotta think of the speciffic harder music i listen to. Give me a minute lol
Quote by AeolianSeventh
I've played a Transatlantic. The cleans are friggin' gorgeous, and it's got more gain than you'll need for anything that doesn't end in "-core." But if you like the Orange, then get the Orange. If you want to justify that, think of it this way: if you're playing an amp that you personally think is awesome, you'll be more confident of sounding good, and if you're confident, you'll play better.

Very true! I do believe its mostly mental. But i dont have a chance to ever play the transatlantic. I feel like im going to be happier in the long run with it. Fearure wise and even tone Bbuuutttt i dont Know why deep down, a part of me wants to get the orange.....is it JUST because its an orange?

As to the hard rock stuff i play, will the mesa keep up with early van halen, weezer, i am armenian so i do give in and pay a little system of a down frome time to time lol

For overdrive, i dont know if any of you have ever heard of the RX bandits, but their tone is pretty killer for the stuff my band plays and what i listen to most.
If the DT is anything like the TT, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Only heard the TA played by some other guy in the store, didn't play it myself. Sounded nice though.
Nice, so you sold the 5150 combo!

Check out the JCA50H for more features and it's cheaper.

Here's a play through of it the 2nd day I got mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql4YZAJG79g

The preamp gain is on like 2.5, so there's of an idea of how much more gain there can be used.
PM to contact me -- For Sale:
ESP X-Tone series hard case
Big Muff Pi
MXR 10 Band EQ (maybe)
Boss RV-3
i was actually looking at those! i dont want another 50w amp for a while tho, the 5150 was great! But waayyyyy louder than i would ever need it to be. its best tone was when the lead post was at about a little under 5 or up and that was house shaking! I have broken picture frames cause stuff kept falling off shelves hahah. is there some alternative that im missing or is the TA gunna have to hold me over till i get the Budda?
at coolstoryangus
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheQuailman
If the DT is anything like the TT, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Only heard the TA played by some other guy in the store, didn't play it myself. Sounded nice though.

Yeah. I've only tried the tt and I didn't really like it.

Haven't tried the TA, but assuming it's like the other mesas i've tried, i'd go for it instead.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by M88zanderman
p.s. anyone know how loud the jet city jca22h is?

Honestly man these 20 watt heads will probably make you feel like they have "more power then you'll ever need" like the 5150/6505 thing its just the name of the game. Tube amps are loud and they sound there best loud. They do break up slightly earlier with a lower wattage but honestly they wont be THAT much quieter.

Its not as if they dont sound good at low volumes though
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Apr 22, 2011,
I've played the T/A and I can't imagine wanting a Dual Terror over it. The T/A is a surprising little box that had some serious thump and grind to it....especially if attached to a 4x12. It will have more gain than you will need for what you do. Cleans are frig awesome as mentioned.

My only complaint is that the front panel is very crowded
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've played the T/A and I can't imagine wanting a Dual Terror over it. The T/A is a surprising little box that had some serious thump and grind to it....especially if attached to a 4x12. It will have more gain than you will need for what you do. Cleans are frig awesome as mentioned.

My only complaint is that the front panel is very crowded

+10 to all this, I played a TA through a 212 and it was great.

The TA is tiny as hell though and weighs like 10 lbs. Amazingly transportable. Gets decent amounts of gain too, especially if you push it with an OD pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
thank you guys. I can see how the orange is just a toy compared to the slightly more serious T/A. To coolstoryangus, I think the reason im headed for the lunchboxes, is because i WANT the break up early so i can push it harder in band practices with out them all wanting to kill me for volume issues. My notions are that the Mesa is my best bet, and I will thank myself, but most importantly all of you in the end.

my last question is someone JUST mentioned a mesa f30 might suit me........SHIT! i thought my quest had ended. Anybody compare the T/A (seeing that i keep thinking tits and ass) and F30? Will my band mates kill me cause i have to keep it loud to make its tone shine, or will it be ok at lower/moderate volumes. Thank you ALL in advanced
Last edited by M88zanderman at Apr 22, 2011,
Really? Did you ever use the 2 amps? Im only second guessing the T/A for the gain it has (or lacks) i dunno. You think the T/A has close to the same amoun as the f30 did? Cause if it did, im SOLD. DONE! I liked the gain on the F-30's ive heard. I know they are both el84 amps. But the versatility on the lunchbox is a +++. I would get the 2x12 for the transatlantic, and a reverb petal, cause thats a must the the T/A dont have
Last edited by M88zanderman at Apr 22, 2011,
I actually did play the TA with a T-Rex Tonebug running through the front-end, sounded superb. Not sure I'd use the Tonebug but the TA takes pedals well.

Can't comment on the F-30, never played one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
and would u guys say that the trans atlantic can hold its own through gigs with a 2x12? the clean will stay clear when its loud enough?
Quote by M88zanderman
and would u guys say that the trans atlantic can hold its own through gigs with a 2x12? the clean will stay clear when its loud enough?

Yeah no problems there.

I saw a guy using one with a 1x12 theile cab at a medium to large sized club and no mic. Still sounded awesome.