So I've outgrown my current guitar (First guitar) and I desperately need an upgrade.
I don't know too much about guitars but I've narrowed down two possible choices, a Dean Dime Razorback and a Jackson DKMG Dinky.

I mainly play blues and thrash metal, but having recently been invited to play guitar for a hardcore/metalcore band, I'll have to pick up those genre's a bit.

Basically I'm asking for pro's and cons of these guitars, recommendations on what to get and whatever you want to add to help me make a decision,

I'll be paying almost twice as much for the Jackson, mind you.
I'll give you some basic specs.

Dean Dime Razorback (paying $500 AU)

Basswood top/body
24-3/4" Scale
22 Frets Bolt-On Maple Neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Grover Tuners
Dean DMT Design Humbucker Pickups
Floyd Rose special trem bridge

Jackson DKMG Dinky (Paying $850 AU)
Alder body with carved top and Flame Maple Veneer (whatever that means)
Bolt on Rock Maple neck
Ivoriod Binding on neck and headstock
rosewood fingerboard
Bridge pickup: EMG 81
Neck Pickup: EMG 85
Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson Double-Locking Trem
Sealed Die-Cast Tuners
If it were me I'd take the dean the words "licenced floyd rose" scare the crap out of me even though the jackson has a better body and emg's which are good for metalcore.
I've played on both and the Jackson felt a lot better. I felt more comfortable getting to the higher frets and doing lead stuff and it the neck just felt perfect. I'd say Dinky.
Jackson. Sometimes LFRs are better than OFRs. And I've never seen a decent dean for under $1K US. But I've never seen a bad Jackson at any price. Not that they don't exist--I've just been happy with every Jackson I've touched.

Last time I was out the rhythm player in the band on stage had a Dean; she spent half the time tuning it while trying to play, then finally a string broke and she borrowed a Strat from the main act. Too bad her stuff needed 24 frets--they couldn't get the harmonies right the rest of the night. Once someone strung the Dean for her and she got it back, she spent the rest of the set trying to get it in tune while playing (even after tuning between songs). And it didn't even have a FR trem--it was a fixed bridge. That was a real nightmare for that band. Good luck whichever way you go.
Quote by losing battle
If it were me I'd take the dean the words "licenced floyd rose" scare the crap out of me even though the jackson has a better body and emg's which are good for metalcore.

So Floyd Rose Special (aka cheap crap) is a better alternative?

The Jackson is a better guitar in every single way possible. Any Dean but the $3k USA models is very disappointing in my experience.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
So Floyd Rose Special (aka cheap crap) is a better alternative?

The Jackson is a better guitar in every single way possible. Any Dean but the $3k USA models is very disappointing in my experience.

even at the $3k they are disappointing compared to other guitars out there like Anderson or Suhr.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
even at the $3k they are disappointing compared to other guitars out there like Anderson or Suhr.

Yea, I should've mentioned that. If you have $3k and you buy a Dean, something's wrong with you.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah I'm not even a Jackson guy but I've never played on one that I had issues a decent set up couldn't fix. I can't count the number of issues I have with Deans!
Seems like the Jackson is the way to go, I was leaning towards it tbh.
I will have to pay an extra 350 bucks, but i guess it's worth it.

if anyone wants to see where I'm buying from it's www.beatstreetmusic.net
its well worth the extra $350. simply because if you went with the dean, you would have mosst likely been dissatisfied and sold it (if you are buying new, and in US markets) and lost >40% even if it was mint, and then you would be posting another which guitar to buy thread.

i owned a DKMGT. great guitar, basically same as yours, just without the trem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
save up more money and get a guitar with a Neck-through/set neck construction and never ever think about buying a bolt-on neck again
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by jeffmetalhead
save up more money and get a guitar with a Neck-through/set neck construction and never ever think about buying a bolt-on neck again

Pure rubbish more people than you can count love the tone of an alder body with single coil pickups and a bolt on maple neck.

If they were junk or undesirable. People wouldn't pay tens of thousands of dollars for vintage strats and teles.

Don't care how much you try you'll never get the tone of Strat or Tele from a set in or neck thru.

Thousands maybe even millions of guitarist play starts and teles that doesn't even count the assorted variations on that theme.

Basically you're full of crap. Many people including myself have owned set in neck guitars and sold them because they sounded like crap.

When I replaced a SG that had a set in neck but sounded like mud.

I went looking for and bought a new guitar Alder body with a fast bolt on maple neck rosewood fingerboard and hot pickups. The stock Duncan pickups sound great in my Jackson.

I'll take an Ibanez or Jackson with a fast U shaped bolt on maple neck and rosewood fingerboard with a basswood or Alder body and good pickups any day of the week.

Over pretty much anything with a set in or neck thru made of walnut. Because I can't stand the way walnut sounds.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
Pure rubbish more people than you can count love the tone of an alder body with single coil pickups and a bolt on maple neck.

If they were junk or undesirable. People wouldn't pay tens of thousands of dollars for vintage strats and teles.

Don't care how much you try you'll never get the tone of Strat or Tele from a set in or neck thru.

Thousands maybe even millions of guitarist play starts and teles that doesn't even count the assorted variations on that theme.

Basically you're full of crap. Many people including myself have owned set in neck guitars and sold them because they sounded like crap.

When I replaced a SG that had a set in neck but sounded like mud.

I went looking for and bought a new guitar Alder body with a fast bolt on maple neck rosewood fingerboard and hot pickups. The stock Duncan pickups sound great in my Jackson.

I'll take an Ibanez or Jackson with a fast U shaped bolt on maple neck and rosewood fingerboard with a basswood or Alder body and good pickups any day of the week.

Over pretty much anything with a set in or neck thru made of walnut. Because I can't stand the way walnut sounds.

Aww did i offend someone with my opinion when someone asked for it? And im pretty sure this person aint going for a single coil tone or a Fender guitar. so go take your bleeding heart and bury it if your going to get upset when you read something you dont personally agree with.
I'd rather have the jackson, but I'm not too fussed on the jt580LP trem on the jackson. Maybe the dkmgt? same thing but without the trem.

Quote by jeffmetalhead

gtfo

Quote by jeffmetalhead
Aww did i offend someone with my opinion when someone asked for it? And im pretty sure this person aint going for a single coil tone or a Fender guitar. so go take your bleeding heart and bury it if your going to get upset when you read something you dont personally agree with.

you shouldn't be advising someone with your own opinion, and stating that opinion as fact, when said opinion is maverick at best.

If you don't like bolt-ons, that's great. No-one has a problem with that. Don't act like everyone around here only likes bolt-ons because they haven't tried set-necks or neck-thrus. Because that's flat-out wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 22, 2011,
Quote by jeffmetalhead

Yes. Your opinion is offensively stupid.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Yes. Your opinion is offensively stupid.

I tell you what. If your going to get offened by an opinion, dont go on the internet, do go outside your house, dont read the newspapers, dont watch tv, just leave your rose coloured glasses on so your head doesnt explode everytime you get offended.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd rather have the jackson, but I'm not too fussed on the jt580LP trem on the jackson. Maybe the dkmgt? same thing but without the trem.

gtfo

you shouldn't be advising someone with your own opinion, and stating that opinion as fact, when said opinion is maverick at best.

If you don't like bolt-ons, that's great. No-one has a problem with that. Don't act like everyone around here only likes bolt-ons because they haven't tried set-necks or neck-thrus. Because that's flat-out wrong.

you gtfo

Correct i dont like bolt-ons. I wasnt acting if everyone on likes/dislikes bolt-ons and maybe my comment about not thinking about buying a bolt-on might make this person try one and decide for themselves which they prefer
I have already decided on the jackson which is a bolt-on and I'm not going back on the decision, but maybe in a few months time when i start my new job (with excellent pay might I add) I'll check out some set neck guitars.

also, sorry to go off-topic, but do any of you have any tips for my first gig?
I'm not as nervous about my playing as I am about not setting up properly/being prepared.
bring a spare/backup of Everything you can get/afford
and warm up
Quote by jeffmetalhead
you gtfo

Correct i dont like bolt-ons. I wasnt acting if everyone on likes/dislikes bolt-ons and maybe my comment about not thinking about buying a bolt-on might make this person try one and decide for themselves which they prefer

So you WANT them to buy bolt ons because you're acting like an ass hat...
Quote by coolstoryangus
So you WANT them to buy bolt ons because you're acting like an ass hat...

Nice strawman cocksnot
Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, I should've mentioned that. If you have $3k and you buy a Dean, something's wrong with you.

But Dime palyd dem!

WTF?!!11!!1!eleven!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
jeffmetalhead:

PLEASE DON'T BREED!!!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl