Poll: Chain, belt or direct drive?
Poll Options
View poll results: Chain, belt or direct drive?
Chain
21 78%
Belt
2 7%
Direct drive
4 15%
Voters: 27.
So, UG... Belt, Chain or Direct Drive?

I'm all in for Directs, however I do no town a pair.
Currently using a DIY:ed metal-belt made out of 0.4mm spring steel. Feels somewhere in between a chain and a DD...

So what do you like?
Motivate you poll vote
(if I can get it to work)
You like it
I use an Iron Cobra I would love to own a pair of directs just to see what the hype is all about. I love the power I feel though, with the double chain.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Chain, I think. It seems like almost every direct drive pedal on the market above like... $300 is super light and has no intrinsic momentum, which means that it forces you to do all of the work and acts more like an extension of your foot. Sounds cool for practicing, but otherwise, meh.

I use an Off-Set double bass pedal and love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.
A belt-drive Gibralter double-kick for my electric kit, and Iron Cobra double kicks for my acoustic kit.

I find the Belt-drive is a fair bit quiter, which suits my electric kit well, since I want it to be as inaudible as possible. Tbh, I haven't really noticed much different between belt-drive pedals and the handful of chain-drives that I've played with over the years. If it wasn't for the short life span of the belts, I'd probably gig with the Gibralter too.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
So far, i'm a chain guy...but I wanna play a direct drive and see what the hype is about.
"If I Knew, I Would Know."
I almost always use chains but I prefer the direct drive since I got an Axis Longboard single pedal. Disagree about using more effort, well for me anyway it takes less effort. But starting off took a little getting used to like with any new sort of equipment.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
sounds like this thread is just a bunch of broke guys waiting for direct drive reviews guess I'll join the crowd, because I've been wanting the scoop from a non-spokesperson for a while myself.

edit:

For the record, we've established :

Belts are quiet, but wear out quickly
Chains are the standard, solid, if a bit noisy
Nobody on UG can afford direct drive pedals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfQWdweO3BI
also this
-Your shadow of doubt.
Last edited by phuckoph at Apr 25, 2011,
I use a chain drive pedal and I'm happy with it. Never tried a DD and like the chain better than the belt
Not taking any online orders.