hey guys, i was just wondering if you have to put the axe fx into a interface or if you can directly connect it to the computer ? Im from australia, sadly we don't have any axe fx users, and shops are clueless on the topic. Cheers
Scruffy
As far as i'm concerned, I think you can plug it in direct. But to record you need to buy a recording interface / program. I think you can plug it in because I'm sure it has some sort of program to set up the effects and amp models through the pc.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't have one as well.

yeah, you will need a DAW to record but other than that you should be able to run it through an interface

A friend of mine runs a pod X3 as an interface running usb 2 into his pc then the axe fx into the input of the pod

im not sure how it works cause i only have a basic knowledge of the axe but there is a way you can run it directly into your pc and out to speakers/monitors or a poweramp + cab if you were playing live

as syriel posted there is a program you get with it thats basically like podfarm that makes creating tones a lot easier!
The program you guys are thinking of is Axe Edit (http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-axe-edit.html). On topic of connections, there might be a way to connect direct to the PC, but the Axe sadly doesn't have a USB output like the Pod, so I have to use an Audio Interface to record to my computer direct. My setup goes:

Axe Fx Left/Right Outputs -> Roland UA-25EX -> Computer via USB -> Reaper DAW

I also use the UA-25EX as a soundcard, so all the sounds my computer makes like iTunes music or MSN notifications come from the same source as my guitar tone, which happens to be speakers hooked up to the interface's output.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Geez you'd think they'd include one for that kinda cash
That was my first thought too. Kind of odd that they have all these high end amp models and onboard mixing and stuff, yet they don't have a USB output for direct recording (which the unit was basically made for.)
Quote by mr7string
yeah, you will need a DAW to record but other than that you should be able to run it through an interface

A friend of mine runs a pod X3 as an interface running usb 2 into his pc then the axe fx into the input of the pod

im not sure how it works cause i only have a basic knowledge of the axe but there is a way you can run it directly into your pc and out to speakers/monitors or a poweramp + cab if you were playing live

as syriel posted there is a program you get with it thats basically like podfarm that makes creating tones a lot easier!

lolwut?
thanks for clearing that up guys, now i gotta look for a interface >_<. Cheers!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
lolwut?

what do you mean lolwut
its an interface... a basic one but all the modelling can be bypassed
the axe has spdif toslink outputs.

it wouldn't make any sense for them to include a recording interface since those things go in studios that have interfaces that cost 5 times what the axe does.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
think of it this way. a DAW is software, and to record something into it, there needs to be hardware. a recording interface is what takes audio signal and converts it into a digital signal to put it into the DAW. say you just plugged an axefx or a cd player, any sound device, into the computer's line input. the computer's built in soundcard is acting as your recording interface in that scenario. you could do that with the axe fx, but it wouldn't give you very good quality. the newer pods have usb capability and can run as their own interface, but the axe fx doesnt have this, so you'll want a recording interface with it. it would also be a good idea to make sure it's MIDI capable. that way, you could use the axe fx editing software on your computer to change settings.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.