So i'm just wondering if im making any steady progress, so what should i have learned after about a year of playing electric guitar (preferably playing metalcore/thrash metal etc)
Don't grade yourself based on the performance of others. Work at a steady pace. After the first year you might have a grasp of open chords/power chords and an idea of how scales work. You might be able to play basic rhythms and interchanging between the chords and do some simple lead stuff. That is MIGHT you don't HAVE to be. Just keep in mind learn an instrument from the ground up and you will be better off in the long run.
That "learnt" is not a word.

Sorry. I just had to.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
It all depends on how much you've practiced.

Example: I've been playing around 4 years now, but for the last 2 I've been a full-time student so I'm not nearly as good as I should be.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Maple Leaf Rag.

Seriously though, you shouldn't be comparing yourself to others at this early of a point in your playing. Just listen to the sounds you're making, and if you're happy, then you're making good progress. If you're not, practice more!

But, to contribute, I figure a sloppy rendition of Raining Blood by Slayer would be expected.